2002 was a hot summer - so hot in fact that as we sweated it out in our non-air-conditioned townhouse, we made a pact that the next house we lived in we would get air-conditioning, even if it was January and -40 degrees, because this was just pure torture. Add to this that I was 8 months pregnant and it was only June, similar to the June of this year, with high humidity and unbearable heat. On June 26th I was 36wks and had my stitch removed in the doctors office.
It was my last week of work before I went on maternity leave. I was due July 26th, but expected to deliver around the 14th or 15th, as I always go into labour well before my due date.
The heat forced us to move to my mom's for the weekend to get some relief. We were there for all of 2 days when I went into labour and off we went to the hospital. False alarm (grrrr) and we came back the same evening.Fast forward to July 3rd. Nothing much is happening - I went into work to get my Record of Employment - necessary to apply for maternity leave benefits. They asked me if I thought it was close, and I said "Nothing happening tonight, but maybe this week"
Mother's intuition hahahahaha - I went into labour on the 3rd - late at night - went into L&D and since I was 3-1/2 cm they let me stay. Get into my room by midnight and contractions stopped. completely.
9:00am after a great nights sleep for me, not so great for poor hubby sitting in a chair all night anticipating at any minute for me to yelp in pain screaming "THIS IS IT", only to wake up in the morning with a sore neck and a wife saying "oh, maybe this isn't happening...."
Since I was already in the hospital, already nearly 4 cm and 37 weeks along - they decided to just give me a little boost - so around 9:00am they gave me a pitocen drip and at 11:00 I had that awesome epidural and by 12:00 I was 10 cm - and couldn't feel a thing (yay for the epi)
My phone rang at 12:00 - it was a friend who suspected I had gone to the hospital since I wasn't home, and she was confirming whether or not I was actually in labour - I told her that yes I was 10 cm and about to push, and could I call her back(I'm busy having a baby right now....)
I hung up and the nurse asked me to give a push to see where the baby was - I pushed and he crowned. Had to wait a few minutes for the Doctor to come tearing up the hall just in time. The cord was wrapped around the baby's neck - so tightly in fact that it had to be cut before they could deliver.
12:08 pm Matthew Graeme entered the world. 6lbs 12 oz. He seemed so tiny.
We went home the following day.

Then he grew and grew and grew.



now he's 3. No longer a baby. Next year he'll be going to kindergarten. How time flies.
He is funny and loving and very much his own person - they really broke the mold when Matthew was born. He is mischievous and devious and full of beans. He can be infuriating and maddening - loud and boisterous, but last night when he fell asleep on the floor at 6pm - because he just couldn't keep his eyes open any longer after a whole weekend of celebrating, I just stared at his sweet face and thanked my lucky stars that this boy came into our lives. For all the frustration and worry he has caused, our lives have been so greatly enriched by this 37" of personality. Happy Birthday Matthew - I love you plain and simple.

No comments:
Post a Comment