Good grief, sometimes I wonder if my husband can actually see the kids, or if they somehow are filtered through his man radar.
We keep a lock on our bedroom door - this is more for protection of our stuff than for privacy. Our bathroom is full of stuff that is far too enticing for little boys to get into, thus we keep it locked too - They have to get through TWO locked doors to reach my makeup.
Now Duncan does know how to get a key and unlock the door, but usually doesn't bother to go to the effort unless he knows there's something specific in there, like mommy's secret chocolate stash.
Today we were all up in our bedroom, me trying to install new ink cartridges in my printer and run a few tests to make sure it's printing properly, and Chris reading a book in the loo. The boys were jumping on our bed when the phone rang, so I ran downstairs to answer it.
The phone in our bedroom no longer works - see yesterday's post on the cost of having children.
the phone in the kitchen does, so I was on the phone for all of 2 minutes and 33 seconds and come back up to see Matthew in the bathroom smearing lip gloss all over his face, hands, tub, counters floor and chair.
Chris is still reading a book. This is our conversation:
jenn: What does Matthew have all over his face?
Chris: I was going to ask you.
jenn:It's lip gloss, and he has the container in his hands (as I remove it)
Now at this point I'm wondering why he can't notice a 3 yr old only 12" away putting red lipgloss all over the bathroom. I get very very angry - justifiably in my mind.
And what does he say?
"What do you want me to say? I'm sorry"
MEN!!! Here's a tip for you men. We don't want to hear that phrase. We don't want you to SAY anything, we want you to FEEL and BE.
Don't SAY I'm sorry, BE sorry, FEEL sorry, and BE responsible. Saying you are sorry just to appease the wife is pointless - I will still be mad because my husband can't just acknowledge that I have the right to be upset when one of the kids does something like that right in front of him and he was too absorbed in a book to notice. So now mummy has to be the bad guy and take the lip gloss away, and mummy has to clean the little boy up, and mummy has to wipe up the floors and the counter and the tub and the walls and soak the lip-gloss covered shirt in spray&wash and hot water. And he thinks if he just says "i'm sorry' that will make it all better?
I know I overreacted - goodness, it's only lipgloss, and it wiped up easily enough - it's just annoying that little things like that have to even happen at all. I got mad because I'm pretty sure that if he had gone downstairs for a minute or two and I was in the bathroom with the kids, I would be watching them a little more closely, given that I know they are prone to investigating the contents of anything in a tube or a jar, especially if it smells like strawberry.
I burned off my anger by riding 5 km on my bike with all 3 kids in tow.
Chris burned off his anger by running 7 km, although truth be told, why does he get to be angry just because I'm angry - I think my annoyance is justified, but he's just mad because I got mad at him and his "what do you want me to say" didn't appease me.
Stupid argument - but most arguments are over stupid and trivial things aren't they? It was a short lived argument - and I have to say that he's being a good dad now and putting them to bed while I get ready to go out to a movie....
Tomorrow is a fresh day!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
It's a man thing alright, H was right THER with Eli while he emptied a pack of tampons, opened Sophie's bubble bath, pooped all over the floor.....he HAD got him out of the bath but I suppose putting his nappy on was waiting for me to do when I got home from picking the other 2 up from somewhere ( who can remember where!) You have every right to be mad, not that it'll change a blessed thing!
Kinda like talking to a brick wall huh?
Hugs
Julie
Post a Comment