CD's and DVD's claim this.
They get away with this claim because things like dust and sunlight and water, which may have been very harmfull to cassettes have very little effect on CD's and DVD's.
They are not indestructable though.
dust and sunlight and water will not hurt my glass vase either. Yet it does not hold the claim of indestructability.
Indestructable to me means that a 3 yr old repeatedly bashing it with a hammer will not cause it to break.
Nothing in our house is indestructable.
We have learned this the hard way.
I now have options:
1.Get rid of the 3 yr old (tempting sometimes, but darn if he doesn't look too cute while asleep)
2.Get rid of the hammers (I would be willing to do this - were it not that a hammer is darn usefull for putting together IKEA furniture, or for hanging pictures, or bashing up the old laptop in a most satisfying way after it finally quits for good) A shoe works - but not as well as a real hammer.
3.Make it so that 3yr olds and Hammers are not able to connect (which basically means that all the tools are out in the garage, since 3 yr olds can inflict a lot of damage with a screwdriver and a powerdrill too.)
We have chosen option 3.
this has not stopped my 3 yr old from finding other things to use in lieu of a hammer. (A hockey stick, A hose nozzle and a cordless phone are just a few examples)
Since the Nemo DVD has been the latest victim of Matthew's "Indestructability challenge", and now sits in exactly 2 pieces in the garbage can; I am left with a bit of a dilemma. Do I buy another Nemo DVD?
One of the first victims was Shrek, and this being a really good movie that I appreciate, I went out and bought another copy. In fact, we originally had the 2 disc set (with full screen AND widescreen versions) until the full screen version failed the indestructability Challenge, and the widescreen version somehow got lost due to "failure to return to case." Something that I am still trying to instill in the boys.
So I bought another copy, (also a special edition 2 CD set, just like the first) and shortly after that, the widescreen version of the FIRST set miraculously showed up, so we now have 3 discs of the movie Shrek.
I could buy another Nemo DVD, except that they still have the full screen version (just the widescreen was destroyed).
It wasn't nearly as good as Shrek. I think I could live without Nemo in widescreen.
Plus I'm just tired of buying DVD's more than once.
They aren't indestructable.
They are in fact rather easily destructable, because, lets face it - it's a piece of plastic.
Anyone with kids knows that plastic is destructable.
That Christmas or birthday toy made of plastic does not have a lengthy lifespan, once placed into the hands of a toddler.
They play hard. They find new and inventive ways to play with said plastic toy.
And plastic breaks.
My 'indestructable' DVD's break.
My glass vase is still sitting on the table - intact.
for now.
Despite the fact that they contain plastic flowers....
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

5 comments:
Ahhhhh dear to my heart...we now have 2 Shrek DVD cases but no shrek DVDs because ELi posts them somewhere that no-one else knows about , BUT we have 2 Shrek videos( #1) 1 shrek video # 1 Limited edition, and one copy of Shrek 2 video, we like Videos, they can be stopped and started where you left off, they come at £1 each at car boot sales and you can't post them in teeny tiny cracks or split them in half by using them as frisbees, sometimes progress isn't progress at all is it?!
True that - Although Videos are no longer an option as we can't seem to maintain a video player for more than a few months. Those are even more pricey than a DVD ;)
Oh dear! I must be lucky that my kids never think to hammer their DVDs! Probably because the one time Ethan tried to remove the paper insert from the DVD cover I reacted as if he was trying to blow up the house! He's too scared to try anything else :) LOL
You don't even need a hammer to scratch them. You don't even have to smash them. Strawberry jam will make them malfunction.
Perhaps one day, someone will make them kid friendly in some way.
Personally, I'd stick with the full screen Nemo. ;)
Ahh the joys.
Yes...and just so that you know...tearing books into shreds is quite fun for little ones as well. And it's even more fun to place those shreads of paper into the heater & hope that Mommy & daddy don't realize it.
(Sigh)
Someday we will be able to smile about it.
No seriously, we will.
Stop laughing at me! I said "Some" day. NOT SUNDAY
;o)
-J
Post a Comment