Thursday, September 01, 2005

5 nuggets for a spoiled boy

I took the kids to McDonalds tonight for dinner.
2 reasons:
1. I didn't feel like making mac & cheese AGAIN
2. I got a 2 for 1 coupon for Licks (which makes AWESOME hamburgers) so it's not really fair for my hubby and I to have takeout and feed the kids a sandwich while they look on in envy.
Image hosted by Photobucket.com
Image hosted by Photobucket.com
so, I went to McDonalds.
with 3 kids.
Drive through of course.

noticed on the way that gas is at $1.12/Litre, which works out to a nice $4.50/gallon - Ugh, I hate the rising cost of gasoline.
It rises WAY higher percentage wise, than the cost of crude oil, so the refineries are profiting in a huge way right now, despite their whining about the skyrocketing price per barrel.

Nevertheless, I arrived at McD's just in time to get in behind the one person who is ordering for their entire city block! Good grief - at least 5 minutes to ORDER thier stuff, and I'm wondering if theres going to be any food left for my crew.

Being that my kids are all small - I ordered a 10pc meal combo, instead of 3 happy meals, because, lets face it, I don't need to pay for a fancy bag and a cheap toy for each of them. I've never bought them a happy meal, so they don't really know what they are missing - They think it's all about the food. I even was astute enough to remember to ask for an additional empty cup so they could share the drink properly - everyone knows it's more fun to drink out of those paper cups than a real plastic cup from home. I did however, neglect to get an extra lid and straw, which caused a bit of a kahfuffle when we did get home and divvied up the food.
Duncan is used to having 6 nuggets. He always has 6 nuggets. However, now his baby brother has molars (almost) and is capable of eating said mcnuggets, so I gave Duncan 5, Matthew 4, and Joey 1.
My spoiled little 4 yr old sat on the couch and greedily counted his nuggets, "1,2,3,4,5, Hey, theres only 5, I want 6 nuggets"

"Relax" I told him "You can have 5 today, because we're all sharing, and thats how many there are - I don't have enough to give you 6"

Not good enough. He pouted, and cried, and I was embarassed that my child was so spoiled that 1 nugget made that much of a difference to him. I took them away.
I told him that he was very lucky to be having these 5 nuggets, and that Mcdonalds was a treat that not everybody was able to have. When he was ready to sit and eat, and be thankful for his food, then he could have them back.
It's hard to teach a 4 year old that has never wanted for anything in his life that there are people without food. People without clothes, or homes. People who do not have the luxuries that he takes for granted, because he's not old enough to fully comprehend a life so foreign to his own.

"Duncan, there are people who never ever get nuggets and fries, and sometimes they go hungry because they don't have any food at all - we are very very lucky and need to be thankful that we have this"

his response?

"Well then, I will just go and give nuggets to everybody in the world"

Ah, bless his wee soul and his 4 yr old solution to world hunger. If only it were that simple.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

*sigh*

If only.

A (APRILSHANE)

Anonymous said...

Oh bless his wee heart! What a sweetheart!If only everyone could be so generous.
LYM