First day that both boys are in school and I woke up to my groggy alarm clock at 7:30am, just 30 seconds before a groggy 4 yr old crawled into my bed and wanted to "get all cozy".
It's still hot in this house this morning, as we didn't turn the A/C on. I thought the worst of summer was over, and then we get another blistering heat wave. Our poor Hydro Bill came in last week at a whopping $350.00 (for 3 months)- our highest ever since we moved here, due to the fact that we had our A/C running nearly constant for the past 3 months...
Nevertheless, I manage to drag my self out of bed to get the kids dressed, and they pick today to be uncooperative mounds of "I can't do that".
Our departure time gets ever nearer, and my 4 yr old is still sitting in his room, in his pajamas, undecided about which clothes to put on. He finally settles on a green and navy striped rugger shirt with long sleeves.
It's going to be 35degrees today - HOT. I insist that he at least wear short sleeves, and give in to the long pants, as neither one of them will wear shorts, regardless of how hot it is outside. Matthew in particular goes ape when you put shorts on him, and tugs the bottoms of them trying to bring them down to his ankles - he doesn't like the feeling of air on his legs I guess. Duncan will wear shorts if pressed, but as we were running out of time, my goal was simply to not have them walk into school in underwear and a pajama top.
Rush downsstairs to make his lunch, pack his bag with his "indoor shoes" (they must have 2 pairs of shoes) run around furiously waving a blue permanent marker and writing his name on everything I can see.
Finally get them up and shoes on, backpacks packed, faces clean, and ready to go out the door - usher them into the van, wait until Chris moves the car out of the way, oh and then Duncan has to sit on Daddy's lap while he "drives" the car out of the driveway, get the kids BACK into their carseats with 5 point harnesses that they MUST do themselves with no help at all and we're off to the school with 10 minutes to spare....
School is roughly 5 minutes away, but exactly 10 minutes when you get behind an annoyingly pokey driver out for a sightseeing trip on a single lane road. Just when it divides into 2 lanes, I get stopped by every stop light in perfectly mistimed order, and get stuck in the middle of a rush-hour dive to hit the highway. Luckily I turn, just before we get to the highway and luck of all luck manage to get myself and my kids to the school with not a minute to spare.
Unbuckle the kids, drag them inside to find that he IS late for his first full day of school, and his class is already in their indoor shoes and walking in single file between two teachers on their way to the bathroom....
Finally get Duncan settled in to his room, grab Matthew because we are now 15 minutes late to drop him off at Nursery, which is yet another 5 kilometres away. Get to the van and realize that he has left his backpack in DUNCAN'S classroom.....
ARRRRRG
Run back, apologise profusely to the teacher for A)Being Late and B)Interupting them again while I get Matthew's bag.
Matthew has to go to the bathroom - Does not like the "buzzy fan" in the bathroom and refuses to go.
"I'll just go in my pull-up" he tells me.
"You aren't wearing a pull-up" I tell him.
Dropped him off at nursery, a little bit late, but according to the teacher, probably a better idea anyway as it's fairly chaotic in the morning and the hall gets very crowded with little people and mommy's and daddy's and teachers.
So now I'm home, in just a little bit of a fuffle for being late TWICE today. I guess as long as I pick them up on time.
I hope hope hope they have good days today.
I will get better at this. I owe it to my kids, and to myself to not let the mornings be so hectic and rushed.
I feel very out of sorts right now. Like I need a good massage and some time to relax. Blogging is good for the soul - just let it all out, and maybe play with my baby, who is loving being all alone here and not getting sat on, ridden like a pony, pushed, or having toys taken out of his hands.
ahhhhhh
Forget all that cleaning I was going to do - Joey and I are going for a walk!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

6 comments:
Oh Enjoy Your Walk!!!
For all the dreams I had about spending time doing stuff around the house, I failed to take into consideration the damage a bored 1 year old could get into (when did she get so curious? When did she learn how to climb onto the table? When did she figure out how to open Sarah's wardrobe? Why won't she stay out of the friggen filing cabinets????)
Oh well. Word to the wise (and I know it's a drag but trust me it works) NEVER go to bed without the lunches made for the next day and NEVER let them go to bed without laying out their clothes for the next day. Trust me, you will bless yourself that you've done it the first time you wake up to an unexpected snow storm or iced over van.
It does get better though of course with Gunther dropping her off Sarah always ends up late anyhow.. that's my man! Of course what REALLY counts is that at least I'm not stressed about it :)
Hugs
Julie
My gosh Jen, I so hear you on the slow drivers when you are running late! As you know, Zachary had a bad start to his little day yesterday. I made the (oh so stupid!) decision to pick up my oldest at college first, then my next oldest at high school, then go pick up Zachary. I HAD 45 minutes after all! Never again! I was freaking out! I made it just in time to get him! Amanda will just have to wait. She is a big girl after all. ;) And my nerves can't take that much stress. :)
Speaking of Amanda, she is always running late. Has always moved so slowly in the mornings and still does. :) I need to have her lay out her clothes for the day. Which by the way doesn't start until 10:00!
I hope that walk was a good one! I am wilting with the school drop offs lately, both Seth and Isaac are weeping and clinging and chewing on coat pegs!
Our boys are so alike ..no shorts here either ,it has taken me since may to get them in short sleeves and now neither of them will wear long sleeves even though it's raining and getting cooler....just know it'll be february before they wear sweaters!! Gotta love them though.
I was praying for you this a.m. I guess I didn't start early enough. Anyway,I hope that next week will go smoothly.
LYM
I hear you! I have also now vowed to make Meg pack her snack and everything else in her backpack before bed. This girl who can be ready in 20 seconds when it's summer takes forever once school starts.
Hope tomorrow goes better!
Hugs,
H
PS I regret to say I ate ALL the candy already. I am a pig.
I totally have faith in you. I know you can do this ;-)
And I look forward to the day that it all runs smoothly!
A (APRILSHANE)
Post a Comment