Thursday, September 15, 2005

How come I can't spell?

I used to be an awesome speller.
I got 10 out of 10 on all my public school spelling tests.
I can look at a word, and "see" when it's mispelled because it doesn't "look right".
My parents are both teachers.

So why is it that I now have this mental block and cannot spell cinnamon anymore?
Seriously - I had to ask my husband.
I tried:
cinnimon
cinnimin
cinnemin
cinnamin
cinnaman

I am not joking.

I knew they were all wrong - because they all look wrong, but I couldn't find the one that looked right.

Can I blame this on my kids somehow? Please?
I hate the fact that I may be losing brain cells and letting my grey matter atrophy, while I sit at home with Dora in the background and have conversations with my kids that basically go along the lines of:
"Stop it - Hitting is not allowed in this house"
"Neither is hitting BACK"
"You are both in trouble"
"Yes, I WILL get you chocolate milk, can you wait until I change this diaper first"
"Please pick that up"
"Stop sitting on your brother, he's just a baby, not a horse"
"Please stop playing with that, it is not a toy" (This in reference to my vacuum, my steam cleaner, my computer, or any other expensive item in the house that they suddenly decide is more fun to play with then the plethora of toys piling up in the toy box.)

Don't even get me started on how to spell Jewellery......jewlerry, jewelery, jewellery......pretty baubles.

7 comments:

Julie Julie Bo Boolie said...

That's ok.. I can seem to say Mass-of-two-shits right ;)

Hugs

Julie

Anonymous said...

I do the same thing and I have 2 young-uns so I say yes blame it on the kids. And have we not exported "Go Diego Go" to Canada yet? Your boys will enjoy it more than Dora.

Julie Q said...

Oh there are a few words I still can't spell. I always have to stop and think about the word tomorrow. I could never remember if it was tommorow or tomorrow. ;) In fact the more I look at it now, the more I think neither one of them is right! Ugh! :)

Jenn said...

mr. happy - I have heard of this 'Go Diego Go' - it is one of those "coming soon to Canada from the US" things like cherry coke, and HBO programs. Hey, at least we have Spongebob....

The other me said...

Omlette......I can hardly say words now, after 6 never mind spell them and ( whilst I can hear in the back ground " get off him ! Sit over there! Will you STOP right now!") I break out in a cold sweat if anyone near me has an intelligent conversation in case they expect me to join in..off to find out what in Hells name is going on!!

Anonymous said...

We're baack. Gld the boys had a good first week expoerience wit schol. I know wat you mean about speling - I was never good myself - thats why I went into buziness - as long as y are good wit a calculater you can bee succesful...


JMSWMBO

Anonymous said...

Cinnamon is nothing and not even Jewellers can agree on how to spell Jewellry... I have trouble with little words like two and even so don't even (evan??) get me started!! Refinnej, why do you think we have spellcheque anyway? spellcheck, spellchecque????? I'm looking for a go Jacques go for Mikaylah... anythng up in Canada??