Every day Duncan comes downstairs and goes through his list:
Today is December ____
I have _____ days of school left in my old school
____ days until Christmas.
It is amazing - he is always bang on - this is a kid who loves numbers and counting. Anything with numbers he seems to excel at (except for writing them - he hates printing/writing anything).
Lately he's been very interested in how old mummy and daddy are, and figuring out
"How old was mummy when Duncan was 2?" It's funny.
I think he's starting to figure out that I can't still be 29 every year though ;)
Matthew also displays his fantastic memory in other ways - He has a collection of about 25 Dora DVD's that he can identify from the covers. He knows which 4 episodes are on each DVD simply by looking at it.
So for these fantastic memories - it amazes me that they can recall a conversation verbatim from 2 months ago, yet can't seem to remember things that they hear everyday. Selective memory.
Matthew likes to get into our utensil drawer. I usually let him, as I've removed all the very sharp knives, and left wooden spoons, spatulas can openers and serving spoons in there for him to play with. He climbed onto the counter however and got my pizza cutter - which he knows he is not allowed to have, but which seems to make it all the more attractive.
The pizza cutters were banned after the fridge incidentand I thought I'd put them well enough out of reach. I was wrong of course, and now there is evidence of pizza-cutter mis-use against our brand new 48" widescreen TV...... :(
He still doesn't understand what he did wrong.
He has just learned the formula to 'apologise' "I'm sorry mummy, and I won't do it again, and I understand".
I wish he really DID understand.
I sure miss sending them to school some days.....
Next year they will both be in school all day. The school is "encouraging" parents to bring their kids home for lunch. They give them one hour for lunch, and I just laugh. There's no way I'm going to be able to walk home from school with 3 small kids, get all their winter coats and boots off - make and eat lunch - put all the winter gear back on, and walk back to school in time. Just not going to happen. If I had only one - sure, If it wasn't below 0 degrees for 4 months of the year sure, but since that's not the case, they will be staying for lunch - and I will not feel guilty about it! (Ok, I will a bit, but I shouldn't!)
It's not the same as when I was a kid, and had an hour and a half for lunch, and could walk back and forth to school in safety on my own. I loved coming home and seeing my mom had macaroni and cheese all ready and waiting for me, while I watched The Flintstones. It's a different era. My kids will eat lunch at school. I'll just have to build some great after school memories for them. Maybe Hot Chocolate with Marshmellows will help with that!!!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

10 comments:
Mine are having school lunch too...and JANUARY sees the 2 bigger ones in school all day, oh JOY! Not that I don't adore them but it's so good for the soul to miss them and welcome them home !! I weep for your TV..ours has red marker all over it, thanks Eli.
Oh my goodness, I am so sorry Jenn. I know how ecstatic you were over your new TV. Do you have pics?
((hugs)))
And I love what Helen said: "Not that I don't adore them but it's so good for the soul to miss them and welcome them home !!"
Good luck sweetie,
Jes
And homemade cookies Jenn. :) My kids have always had lunch at school and somehow, they survived.
Sorry to hear about the TV. :(
Kids + pizza cutters + brand new television = disaster waiting to happen! Sorry about that.
Does Nerf make televisions?
Hey Jenn! Thanks for commenting on my blog.
I have some hope for your fridge. We own an auto body shop and I asked hubby about your fridge.
He said to use 320 grit sandpaper and sand down the scratches. Sand with the grain of the stainless steel. Then, polish it with rubbing compound. If the scratches aren't too deep (and they shouldn't be too bad with a pizza cutter), you should be able to buff them out.
HTH!
Sorry to hear about the new TV (and previous fridge disaster). My dishwasher has a lovely dent in it from source unknown :(
After 3 years of driving Courtney to school before & after lunch, I am relieved to have her take the bus & eat lunch at school. Now if I could just figure out what to pack her that she will actually eat, then I'm all set. Miss K & I are enjoying our leisurely lunches for now, but that will change in January when I go back to school & work (Yikes!)
Have a great holiday with your family, Jenn!
Shauna (murgatr)
dd 11/22/98
dd 6/27/02
Ah, selective hearing. I can relate to that!
Don't feel guilty about the lunches Jenn. Times are achanging and a lot of us are going to be (or are in) the same boat. I know when the time comes that Jordyn is in school, she'll probably have to stay for lunch as well. I have these great memories of coming home for lunch and having my mom waiting for me with a hot grilled cheese sandwich or soup while I watched the Flinstones. Total comfort food. It bothers me that I may not be able to do the same for my child, but we'll just have to figure out an alternative.
On a side note.... I'm a blogger now! Hooray! Come visit me at www.ravenbajan.blogspot.com.
Excuse my boring site, but I'm still trying to figure out how this all works and am filling stuff in as I go. :)
Just read your 22 blurbs. Some things we have in common:
1) I am also left handed
2) I also had a recurring nightmare as a child
3) Hablo espanol
4) je parle francais aussi
:-)
Man You got to look into getting a cabnit with a key lock to put all teh sharp things into before they distroy more things. My kids have a very good memory of the places we have hidden things they shouldn't have.
maybe you can have the kids come home for lunch on the nice days and on the cold days you could have lunch with them at school. On the real cold days they can just take their lunches.
Hi Jenn,
You're up and running now. I was so upset when I couldn't get into your blog. But, there it is and the boys will be getting soooo excited about Christmas coming. Have a great one!
LYM
Post a Comment