Friday, December 23, 2005

I have a lot to say

I just don't know where to start.

I honestly think the Christmas rush has made me so addleminded, that I can't think straight.

The boys have been more difficult that usual - I am chalking it up to being off their normal schedule - so many Christmas activities, parties, and "out of the ordinary" events, they are overwhelmed before it even arrives. All the hype surrounding Christmas has gotten them so wound up, they can't focus on anything, so they just get into trouble, and they fight with each other, and they have meltdowns every 3.2 minutes, shouting "MUM, mummmy, Mummmaaaaa" through their tears for even the most minor offenses, such as a train track that has come apart, or the fact that Matthew has stolen yet another one of Duncan's trains and run like holy heck out of the room.

I know he only does it so he will get chased - it's all a big game to him - Duncan gets so explosively mad at him. It's hard for me to explain to him that Matthew doesn't understand. Duncan has enough ASD traits to make him easily upset and frustrated with his little brother, who is much more severely afflicted.

I figure if *I* am getting stressed out and unable to focus - How much more difficult must it be for them?
Matthew's nursery teacher had mentioned to me on Thursday that he seemed to be regressing a little bit. This after he walked in and refused to look at his teacher (whom he loves). He wouldn't say hello, or do anything except hold his blanket in front of his face and look sideways at everything. She said he's been withdrawing a little more the last 2 weeks, which incidentally, is when all the Christmas hype began. I am looking forward to January and getting back on track.

Duncan as far as I can tell, has been steadily improving - he has stopped falling asleep in class, and his work has gotten much better - he actually coloured something within the lines the other day - Vastly different from his colouring skills at the beginning of the school year. He is looking forward to starting the NEW SCHOOL in January. I'm kind of excited about it too.
It is nice and close - we will be able to walk to school. Matthew calls it "The 4 school" because Duncan is 4 and he knows that when HE turns 4 (in July) then he'll be able to start kindergarten next year at that school too, instead of his nursery, which he calls "the 3 school". Kids are so funny. Duncan asked me where the 5 school was, wanting to know where he would go next year. I told him that the 4 school went all the way up to 13! He thought that was neat.


Joseph I took to the doctor today, and there is a very real possibility (high) that he has some sort of hearing loss.
Is it wrong for me to actually hope that he does? That his lack of speech and receptive language is due to something as simple and (hopefully easily corrected) as a hearing loss. I guess we'll find out in January.
In the meantime - Isn't this a hilarious picture?
Image hosted by Photobucket.com
He can barely move in that snowsuit, and looks like quite a chunk. He was weighed today - 12 Kilos, which is 26lbs!

My mind is all over the place today - I hope you all have a wonderful holiday, and yes, I'm sure I'll be blogging on Christmas day - hopefully with pics of the kids on Christmas morning! Unless they get up way early and open everything before 7 am!!

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Jenn;

I'm sure they'll settle down after the holidays. All the excitement is enough to put anyone off.
And Joey looks darling in his snowsuit, even if he can't move. He looks quite happy. But then he usually IS happy.What a gorgeous kid! Let's trust the hearing problem can be fixed.
LYM

The other me said...

I'm sure Matthew's withdrawal is because the whole Christmas hype has thrown him off track, he'll be great after it all ends! ( won't we all!!) Seth has 'got' the whole deal this year, I am really enjoying him, Isaac is beginning to understand and Eli is wandering around in underwear and a bobble hat saying " I santa, ho ho ho" I am longing for next week when we are in the new house, handed the old one over and can just relax and enjoy the new blessings!
Have a great christmas with those divine boys, can't wait to see the pictures.....much love Helen and the rabble!

Anonymous said...

Jenn your not alone My kids are WILD too. It's less then 24 hours now then the kids can open presents and crash. I just hope we all live long enough to see what Santa brings us.

Looking forward to the Christmas pics.

Julie Q said...

Oh my Jenn, we are there with you and the misbehaving, and having a heart attack over the silliest little things! I do hope it is Christmas.

Adorable photo. :) I understand your hope for a reason. I also hope if he does have a hearing loss, it is repairable.

Merry Christmas to you and your family. :)

Take care!

Anonymous said...

Why don't you move to Africa with us? That is one reason why I am so glad that we will be living there because of the lack of commercialism, Christmas is celebrated so much more simply and meaningfully. We are praying for Joey that he will be properly diagnosed and treated. Merry Christmas, and bless your boys it will be all over this time next week!

Lora said...

Jenn, I had Griffin's hearing tested and they found that he had negetive pressure behind both ears....I was thrilled. I thought that finally there was a reason that his receptive speech/vocab. was so low. Soon after the doc put tubes in Griffin's ears and that very day his speech became more clear and he stopped babbling. I kid you not, I am not exaggerating either, my child showed a marded improvement and has ever since. So, don't think that you are wrong for actually hoping that he does, it is a perfectly natural way to be in my opinion, because it can be easily corrected at least if it is the same cause as what Griffin had (negetive pressure)and quite possibly even if it is caused by something else as well. BTW, the picture is adorable and funny at the same time. Hope you had a happy holiday and find time to relax and enjoy yourself at some point. Big hugs! Thanks as always for your support through my tough times.

GClef1970 said...

I LOVE that picture! He is looking at that frog like, "What in the heck is this thing?!"

I am convinced that the Christmas season was just way too much for our boys. I actually tried to keep things as "routine" as I could, even foregoing the trip to see Santa.

Hope you had a blessed Christmas!

Anonymous said...

That is just the cutest pic!

And I sure hope it's the holidays too. Jon has been a little terror these last few days. And he has started throwing things at people. Says "No." to everything. And screams if you look at him the wrong way! Grrrr!

And I can't keep his routin the same either. It won't be back to normal until Mom and Dad go back to work!

Hope it all went well ((((Hugs))))

A

Jenn said...

marilyn - Let's hope they settle down. I might go a little crazy if they don't ;)

Eileen - Thanks - I hope you guys had a wonderful Christmas as well. I'm kind of relieved to know that other moms feel the same way in regards to the hearing problems...

the other me - And I can't wait to see how your Christmas went - I know the new house will feel like Christmas all over again. I hope your boys settle in quickly, and that you can just relax - at least enough to blog about your moving adventures - and I know there are bound to be many stories there ;)

Donna - Wild is a wonderfully accurate descriptive term. How nice to know we aren't alone in our chaos!

julie - Thanks Julie, Merry Christmas to your family too - I'm sure they'll all be back into their regular routine soon! - Of course, then we won't be able to blame their behaviour on Christmas excitement anymore LOL

seeester It's not too cold out now, but come January, Africa will be sounding awfully attractive!! I just have to keep thinking Spring spring spring thoughts until it arrives!

KC's Mom - Well thanks - I have to admit that I think he's adorable too ;) - Happy Christmas to you too. Is KC getting more cars for Christmas???

Lora - HEY - Glad to see you are back!! Thats interesting about the negative pressure - I really do hope it is something that can be corrected. My brother had tubes in his ears when he was little, and it made a big difference in a relatively short timeframe too. It would be so awesome if he just needs his hearing fixed, and started talking!

Melissa H - the frog actually lights up. The poor boy was probably stunned because he couldn't move in that snowsuit LOL - We took our oldest to see Santa (spur of the moment type thing, no lineup) but didn't go with the younger boys either - why go through the hassle, when you know they won't be able to wait in line, and will not want to sit on Santas lap anyway? I wish we could have kept a more 'normal' schedule, but it was not meant to be for us.

Anon/April - thanks :) Hopefully Jon will get back on his routine quickly too! Thank goodness Christmas is only once a year!