Monday, December 12, 2005

Bye bye lights

We finally put the Christmas tree up last week. After the boys needling me since Halloween, I finally caved and put up the tree.
We have a wonderful fake tree that goes up in minutes - the boys love finding the colour codes branches and watching the building of the tree.
After it's up comes the best part - putting on the lights.

We have in years past given up on the little wee lights - you know the ones - one burns out and the whole string goes, and then you have to painstakingly go through all the teeny bulbs one by one with a replacement, trying to find the one that burned out, and if there's more than one, well you may as well just throw the whole string out, you'll never figure out which ones they are.
So because Matthew liked to pull them out at random, our lights never worked for more than 30 seconds. Then, last year, Chris got the bright idea (yes pun intended) to use indoor/outdoor lights on our tree - The bulbs are a bit bigger, but if one goes out, the rest stay lit, and it's easy to swap out the broken ones. That is what I thought anyway. Seems that Matthew has taken quite a shine (yes pun intended) to these new lights. He can unscrew them, and I keep finding little clusters of 5 or 6 lightbulbs that he has unscrewed and hoarded away, put in his backpack or behind the big green chair (one of his little comfy spots).
Our little tree looks rather sparse, as we don't have any other decorations on it, save for a few strings of unbreakable beads - which the boys broke. Ornaments are just too tempting for Joey, and we found out last year that even the older boys discovered the joy of smashing a red and silver ball or two on the kitchen tile. Other 'fun' ornaments like the musical Tigger found it's way into Matthew's toybox, and all my collectible Coca cola ornaments I have kept for future trees, when the boys don't steal them.

So our pathetic little tree, that even Charlie Brown would take pity on has been up for less than a week, been knocked over twice, and the 3 strings of multicoloured lights are quickly losing lights to pilfering and the boys "swiping" them, throwing them behind the couch, the cabinet, or whatever, and cackling "Ha ha ha - you'll NEVER find them now". Leave it to them to watch Dora and find the antagonist Swiper to be their role model.....

Last night I was sitting enjoying my brand new TV when I heard raucous laughter from the other room. the other room that houses our Christmas tree. I also heard the sound of tinkling glass - rushing into the room to find the boys with my swiffer, unscrewed into 2 batons that they were using to bash the tree and break the lights on it!!

They got sent to bed immediately, despite their pleas that they were going to be good and they weren't going to break the lights anymore......

I had purchased some liquid melatonin from the health food store with the intention of asking Matthews pediatrician about it for Matthew's sleep problems. We had used it once with great results, but I felt guilty about giving it to him without the go ahead from his doctor. Last night though, I had had enough. I gave them BOTH 3 drops in their bedtime drinks (about 1/4 of a single adult dose). Within half an hour they were both sleeping soundly and I looked at the clock - 7:35pm.

I can honestly say, that I have NEVER had all 3 kids asleep by 7:30pm. Melatonin is way cool.



Of course this morning they were both up at 7:15am - and the first thing they did was come downstairs and finish bashing the tree that they were interrupted from last night.

Now our tree has no lights - I took the remaining salvageable lights and packed them back up in a box - much to their dismay - but I cannot take the chance of them doing it again and having Joey eat a piece of broken bulb, or cut himself on it.
Our tree has nothing on it but a string of "unbreakable" red beads (because the gold beads are broken....)

Sounds festive doesn't it?

10 comments:

Julie Julie Bo Boolie said...

Ikea has the BEST Christmas balls that look like glass but aren't. They come in an assorted set with little snowflakes too (can't remember if they were up on my plants the last time you came?)..Anyhow.. you can get them in red, silver, gold or blue and trust me.. the babies round here have gotten into them PLENTY without any mishaps :)

Oh and did I mention that IKEA will give you free childcare for an hour...for both boys??? Lemme know if you want some company to go shopping :)

looks something like this on the sets I got where nicer and had more stuff in them.. couldn't find them on the website

Ikea Balls

The other me said...

Oh Jenn......you make me glad for my 2ft fibre optic tree that is being bent and rattled every 2 minutes..not a bauble in sight, last year we ended up with a few bedraggled balls at the top of the tree and a string of lights hanging on the floor, somehow takes the saying 'season of peace and goodwill' and makes a mockery of it doesn't it?!? Love those boys though...maybe buy a stack of ping pong balls and let them stick glitter and stars on them....or maybe convert to the J.Ws just for christmas?!

Julie Julie Bo Boolie said...

Ohh found it!

it's

Ikea Set

They ROCK.. so pretty but plastic!

Anonymous said...

I also found some unbreakable balls that come in red, white, blue, silver or gold at Sears. Our tree is heavily decorated at the bottom (due to my little helpers) and very sparse at the top. That's where my delicate ornaments are for the time being. The girls would prefer if our Christmas lights were on ALL the time, but after our last electric bill, DH put them on a timer.

Shauna (murgatr)

dd 11/22/98
dd 6/27/02

Anonymous said...

Forgot to ask where you got your melatonin from - I was told it could only be purchased in the States. Have heard it has quite the "hangover" effect, even more so than the regular drowsy antihistamine, but an extra dose of Benadryl does wonders for my sleep as well as my kids :)

Shauna (murgatr)

Pharmacy Technician '06 RDC

dd 11/22/98
dd 6/27/02

MamaTink said...

My Mom used to have a Nice present for each of us. If we were nice, it stayed under the tree. if we were naughty, it disappeared...I wonder if that would work for the boys, to keep them from touching the tree? Or would they just unwrap it? LOL

GL Jenn. I'm sure it's a beautiful tree no matter what!

~Lisa~

Jenn said...

Julie x 2 Bo boolie As nice as those decorations are, I think I need to opt for something that cannot be taken off the tree, flushed down the toilet, dipped into yogourt and rolled along the walls or used as a flying projectile of any sort.
I'm thinking Fibre Optic tree......

the other me - I want the fibre optic tree. I want it. I want it. I waaaaaaant it.
I absolutely love having the tree up, and reading bedtime stories by the light of the Christmas treee - I could never turn grinchy enough to convert to JW ;) But oh how I want the lights without the hassle. I bet the boys would love the fibre optics - maybe we'll see whats on sale on boxing day.....

Julie x 2 Bo booliethose are nice. Plastic or not though, they wouldn't stay on my tree for long.....

Shauna - we got the lights from Canadian tire. I could leave them on 24/7 for 2 months and it would cost less than 5 bucks. We have our outdoor lights on a timer from 5pm - 10pm and they will end up costing about 45 cents worth of electricity - they are super super efficient.
As for the Melatonin - it can be found at GNC (there's one at our local mall). Get the liquid as opposed to the pills. costs more, but worth it in my opinion for the ability to give partial doses.

mamatink - yeah those "nice" presents would be gone in a flash....In fact, Matthew ate all the chocolates in his advent calendar - and then stole all the chocolates out of DUncan's advent calendar....little stinker with a sweettooth!

Hannah said...

I must be very lucky that neither of my boys have really touched the tree since we put it up on the 4th December!!
I was expecting Tyler to be far more "curious" but a stern "no" from me stopped him from going back for another peek :)
I hope you can find some unbreakable ornaments for your tree - sounds like people have lots of advice re: where to get them from! LOL :)

Julie Q said...

Oh Jenn, there have been years we had to rope off the tree with whatever we could. Playpens, chairs whatever. I just know your boys would get through that like it was nothing.

Someday, right? :)

Anonymous said...

Joey might just suprise you, Jon has only touched the tree three times, and he was only looking, not pulling. He was told 'No.' and he leaves it alone.

Sorry to hear about your tree. I bet it's pretty no matter what ;-)

April