Thursday, December 08, 2005

More food please!

I am well aware that with 3 boys, I will eventually have to mortgage my house to keep up with the ever growing grocery bill.
I know that when they hit 11, 12, or so, that boys tend to suddenly need 12 meals a day, plus snacks. I remember my brother at that pre-teen/teenager stage when he would come home from school, eat a whole box of Macaroni and cheese, and STILL eat a full dinner - with dessert!
Multiply that by 3 and you see why I am saving up now, for 10 years down the road when I have to restock my cupboards and refrigerator on a daily basis. I should buy stock in Kraft Dinner and Pizza Pockets now, maybe I can make some money to offset the cost of their hollow legs.
Chris and I thought it was bad now - buying milk every other day (seriously, these boys can put away 2 litres a day easily **that's half a gallon)

Which brings me to the point of this rambling post - growing boys eat a lot.

Today, after I dropped the older boys off at school, I took the baby out shopping and arrived home just in time to hear the phone ringing.
It was the secretary from Duncan's school - I've gotten to know her quite well, and will get to know her much better over the course of the next few years I'm sure.
She greeted me with "Hello, Duncan is fine............BUT..........."

This was her way of alleviating my worry, right from the start - Oh phew, my son is fine - than she throws a big "BUT" in there.

Now as a mother, my brain can work in overtime when it comes to my kids - before she could finish her sentence, a thousand and two possible scenarios have already gone through my head.
Eg. He's fine - BUT, he's running around naked and won't put his clothes back on.
or He's fine - BUT, he'll have a wicked headache from that gooseegg on his noggin
or He's fine - BUT, his head is stuck in chair and they've called emergency people to saw it off
or He's fine - BUT, he's locked in the bathroom screaming his head off

you get the idea.

I simply wasn't prepared for:
"He's fine - but he has nothing to eat for lunch"

This is phone worthy? Hello - check his lunchbox - I packed PLENTY, including 2 snacks for morning and afternoon.

Seems my hungry little boy, in addition to the large waffle breakfast he had this morning, ate both snacks AND his whole lunch at morning snack time, leaving nothing for the rest of the day.

so off I go racing to the school - with new lunch in hand, as well as an additional afternoon snack. I guess he's hit a growth spurt - or else he'll eat nothing for the rest of the day (Highly possible - kids have funny food schedules sometimes)

Anyway, he's only 4 - I was hoping I had a few years left before I had to sell off our worldly possessions to keep them well fed. ;)

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

I can't believe he ate the whole thing!
Wow! It's too early for him to start eating you out of house and home. I guess you just made too good a lunch and once he got started , he coudn't quit. Good luck on the grocery bill.Start buying in bulk.
LYM

Julie Julie Bo Boolie said...

WOW! That's amazing! He's got a hollow leg for sure! Way to grow Duncan ;)

Lisa said...

I TOTALLY know what you are talking about! Both my boys (3.5 and 1.5) eat like that...especially the last few days! Wow...that's all I can say. They've been eating part of my breakfast, plus theirs, plus breakfast again at daycare. When they were both home I would go through 6 gallons of milk a week!!!! I am not looking forward to mortgaging the house :)

Anonymous said...

Oh goodness! That was a morning snack. Boy am I in trouble then….Nikki is already on the large size for his age….I may need to get a second job.

Your blog always kills me, I could just picture you waiting to hear what the secretary was going to say….too funny!

Anonymous said...

What a hungry little boy, did he think mummy would come to the rescue? What did he eat for supper? Mikaylah is going through the "I don't want anything to eat unless it is on mummy's plate" phase, her favourite word at meal times is "bite?" I hope she doesn't go through the Duncan phase of eating us out of house and home!

Anonymous said...

"or He's fine - BUT, his head is stuck in chair and they've called emergency people to saw it off"

I think this would be cause for worry for anyone!

Anonymous said...

I'm right there with ya. My 5 yr old boy can eat a big hearty dinner and then immediately afterwards ask for a snack.

I'm thinking about buying a cow.

The other me said...

It reaches a stage where you become mesmerized by the whole deal of how much they can eat.....I could charge and make a fortune if I were to invite people to watch how much a 6' 5" 18 year old can shovel away whilst still looking like he has just been released from a concentration camp. Do you think, one day he will sit down to watch TV and all this food will catch up with him, if so he ( Jordan) will balloon to about 600lbs.....frightening thought!

Anonymous said...

He's fine - BUT, his head is stuck in chair and they've called emergency people to saw it off

I certainly hope you meant the chair ;-)

And I'm not looking forward to it either and I only have ONE (for now ;-) Hopefully I'll get lucky and get another boy.)

April

MamaTink said...

LMBO! i can't believe he sat there and just wolfed it all down!!

Feed that boy would ya!?

LOL just kidding :) I bet he won't be in a size 4 for much longer!!

~Lisa~

Jenn said...

marilyn - Thanks - I guess I'll keep that Costco membership so I can buy Pizza Pockets in the huge 120 count package!

Susie - I don't think they "let him" - more of a "couldn't stop him".

Julie Julie Bo Boolie - Hollow leg, hollow arms and sometimes hollow head I think.

Lisa - 6 gallons a week? you'd better win a lottery or something! Or buy a cow.....

Jennifer - If you can get a second job at the grocery store - that would be great!!

seeester - don't remember what he had for dinner - but it wasn't much. I think he ate enough for a week as he's been eating like a sparrow the last few days.

anon - There were other things that went through my head that I didn't write down. I think just having kids is cause alone to worry about them!

Mr Happy - Why buy the cow when you can get the milk for free? OH sorry, that was just the MOM in me.....Where can I pick up a cow? Do they sell them behind the snack counter at 7/11? I'll take 2

The other me - Honestly, that's exactly what happened to me one day when I was 28. I sat down to watch Star Trek TNG and could barely get up when years of scarfing down chocolate with wild abandon and never gaining an ounce suddenly caught up with me! yeah, thats what happened.....let's stick with that story.....

April - silly - of course I meant the chair - I wouldn't let just anyone saw his head off - he needs that - even if he doesn't always USE it.....

mamatink - He's finally catching up. Might be a while before he's out of size 4 since he's still wearing size 3 pajamas....but he definitely will outgrow the size 3 this winter - by the time he's 5 (I hope).

Hannah said...

I hear you, Jenn! Thankfully it isn't TOO bad right now (considering my boys are 3.5 and 15 months) but I am absolutely dreading the teenage years!! Amazingly Tyler is worse than Ethan right now!
Especially if they are anything like their daddy - who can eat like a horse and STILL be hungry, and then (to my absolute disgust) burns it all off by walking from the table to the sofa! LOL :)
Over the years, we will have to swap "strategies" for coping with boys who have hearty appetites :)