It's Friday night and I'm watching Nemo (again) with the kids - building Friday night memories :)
Trick or treating was wonderful - It was mild and clear. The older boys went as the tiger twins, much better behaved than last year, and Matthew only blew out one pumpkin this year instead of every pumpkin on the block.
He loved it so much he decided that he was going to be a tiger for a long time. He wore his tiger to nursery the next day, and also all day Wednesday, and again on Thursday when we went to pick Duncan up from school.
He also wore it for a good portion of the day today, although he is very understanding of the fact that Halloween is over. The house across the street that was decked out to the gills with Halloween fare has instantly transformed into the house decked out to the gills with Christmas lights, so they are taking their cues from the colourful assorted lights across the street, and realize that we've changed holiday focus.
The boys were playing in the bathroom last week, swinging from the towel holder and pulled it right out of the wall. Never a dull moment around here, and always something to fix it seems from the destructive duo. Of course, I must add that now the baby has graduated to full time mischief maker, joining his brothers in running me ragged. In fact, he's almost more work than they are now, just entering into the stage where he's old enough to get into trouble, not quite old enough to reason with, bribe or threaten.
On Wednesday I took them all to the park - I figured it was nice enough, and the only thing stopping us from actually doing something fun was my own laziness, so I decided to get out and make the most of it - after all, they are 3 energetic and healthy little boys. I regularly read Rebekah's blog- a 3 year old battling cancer, and Maggie's page- a 3 yr old who has recently lost the fight against cancer - and I hug my boys just a little tighter, and know that those parents would give anything to take their kids to the park - so off we went.
We were there all of 10 minutes when Duncan slid down a slide that was still wet from the rain the day before, and not having an extra set of clothes (Why don't I carry those everywhere?????) we had to walk home (Duncan riding his trike, and not too pleased about it either). Got home, made lunch and even had the energy to go back to the park in the afternoon - carefully avoiding the slides, they had a ball on the swings. Joey is of course, very difficult to take to the park. For him, the playground doesn't hold as much allure as running full tilt boogie along the park path towards the road. This means that he demands most of my attention while we are there, and I have to trust the older boys to stay within visual range - which they were surprisingly good about doing. Leaving the park is more often than not quite difficult as Matthew usually decides to play "run the opposite direction that we are going", and the second you move towards him, he has engaged you and pulled you into his 'game'. I'm not fond of this game - but he loves it, and plays it at every opportunity.
Upon returning home, again, the boys ran straight into the backyard - leaving me a moments peace to actually clean my kitchen without constant interruptions to get chocolate milk, or break up a fight. They even went to bed fairly easily.
Today was another round of assessments for Matthew. Speech and social language primarily. We are very pleased that he scored within 'expected' range for his age. Nursery school has had a tremendous effect on him, and we are noticing HUGE differences in him. The fact that he actually sat for the entire assessment was in itself a huge leap forward. Compared to the notes they had on him from his last assessment exactly 2 months ago - the change has been astronomical. In August he had tested 7 months behind. 2 months later he has caught up. He points, he waves and he sings songs. I credit his nursery school teacher (who used to work with special needs children) with a lot of the improvements we've seen. We'll have another assessment in 6 months to make sure he's still progressing forward, and if at that time he's approaching a 4 yr old level as expected we won't need any further speech therapy at all.
Overfocused behaviour (on lights and fans) and extreme sensory issues still tend to be a problem for him, but we are hoping that he will develop strategies to help him cope with this, so that it won't interfere with his ability to learn and focus in school. The outlook right now is very very positive, which makes today a very very good day.
Duncan on the other hand, appears to be having some difficulties in kindergarten. Not academically, but socially. He has a tough teacher this year, and she has requested an interview "before the December interviews" to discuss a few things - I'm pretty sure I know what the focus of this interview is going to be. He doesn't like to follow rules, and has a difficult time transitioning from one activity to another - he gets that from me I think. I've had trouble with that for 35 years ;)
I measured him yesterday, and he's grown a full 2 inches+ since school started in Sept. He is well into size 4 now, and his size 3 jammies are actually getting tight in the toes. Good thing, since he'll be 5 in April, and is all about growing right now. He desperately wants to be tall......
Joey - is joey. My baby is growing up and being such a wonderful funny little guy - he's a pure delight - even when he gets into mischief. It's a joy to watch our last baby learning and growing and finding his own place in the world. He smiles and laughs constantly, and although he hasn't spoken a single word yet at 18 months, I have a feeling that he's going to suddenly explode into full blown sentences somewhere around the 2 yr mark.
This is typical Joey these days - Lots of fun.


11 comments:
I’m sorry to remove posts from your comment section. But this is what they said ;-)
(post 1)
I cheated and scrolled for pictures! I haven't even read the post yet!
But I had to tell you that Jon did the same thing today. There must have been something in the air, because he has never in his life sat on the dishwasher door before!
(post 2)
LOL @ Matthew and the Tiger costume. And at the taking their cues from the house across the street.
And totally with you on the "...he's old enough to get into trouble, not quite old enough to reason with, bribe or threaten..." Jon is the same way, although "If you get any closer to that gate we are going in the house!" usually at least makes him walk in the other direction ;-) Joey looks like he’s getting around a lot better now!
Good job for Matthew on the huge improvement! And I'm glad you guys got such a great teacher.
And sorry to hear Duncan is not doing great. Hopefully it will pass?
Hugs and kisses to those beautiful boys!
~
I just realized while brushing my teeth that everyone who read your blog would also have access to read mine if I posted that way, and I just am not comfortable with that yet. I’m sure you understand. (((((Hugs)))))
A (APRILSHANE)
Oh my goodness Jenn!! 7 months improvement in 2 months!!! How thrilled are YOU!? that is a phenominal improvement!! I knew he had it in him :) And he sat there the whole time??? Awesome!! I am really becoming a believer in nursery school for children with Autism/Special needs. Way to go Matthew!!
Sorry to hear about the interview for Duncan. But understand that all kids develop at a different rates, socially and otherwise. It'll come for him. In DUNCAN'S time :)
Joey is adorable Jenn. I seriously could just eat him up :) Mischief and all.
You are one brave Mommy, taking three boys to the park on your own! I bow to you :)
~Lisa~
Kids are great aren't they?
BTW I've look everywhere for that mop and can't find it!!
Hurrah for Matthew! Way to go!! I'm so proud of him.
And Duncan will be fine. I can see him being bored with some of the activities they do in JK. His teacher will have to learn to give him some more challenging activities. He's a bright little guy but it may take him a little more time to adjust to the world of "formal education".
And Joey is just a loveable little darlin'...mischief and all.
LYM
My goodness he has shown an interest in cleaning...quick toss the vacuum his way...before the novelty wears off....LOL!
I am endlessly stunned by how parallel our boys are and let me tell you, hold onto your hat with that littlest one because if he follows in my littlest ones footsteps he'lll leave the other two standing in the naughty department!! They are divine...I am beyond thrilled with Matthews news YEAY!!!
Matthew has made such awesome progress, Jenn! You must be so proud of that little guy.
I'm sure Duncan will soon settle into school. Your mom is right (I think it was your mom's comment) that he is probably just bored with some of the things they have to do.
Joey is SO CUTE! He reminds me of Tyler (but obviously 6 months older) and he has the cheeky smile just like Ty. Love the pics!
I think I was going through jenn's blog withdrawals! *LOL* I look forward to reading your blog and knowing that I wasn't the only mom going through this stuff with the boys! That is such a HUGE improvement with Matthew...WOW! And I'm sympathizing with you on Duncan...my Zachary is having issues in preschool with the same things. Time-outs almost every day :( But it's a learning experience for sure!
Glad to hear Matthew's speech has improved, we have also seen the benefits of preschool & now Grade one with Courtney. Your boys are so cute, Jenn, but they make me tired just reading your blog - LOL (how do you have the energy to keep up, I need to know your secret :)
Shauna (murgatr)
dd 11/22/98
dd 6/27/02
Seeing that I'm from MI, I wondered how close you were to me :) I went camping over the summer to the Bruce Peninsula and met a couple from Whitby. I see you are really close to that! What a great area.
April - I totally understand. Thanks for commenting, I love reading them. Someday when you get brave you'll have to give me the link to your blog :)
mamatink - I KNOW!! I am so proud of my boy! His teacher gets a lot of the credit - she's awesome and he loves her!
Donna - Yep, Kids are great!! I don't always think so when it's time to put them to bed and they are acting up, but that's part of their 'charm' LOL. I got my mop at Walmart.
MarilynThanks mom - you always make me feel good. It's good to know I can always count on you! Love you more!
jennifer - Don't worry - they see cleaning stuff as toys and fun and games until they are old enough to truly be asked to clean -Only then does it become a chore.
The other me - I'm always amazed at the parallels too - one reason why I feel such a kinship with you. Thanks for the warning - Joey has shown himself to be every bit as mischievous as his brothers - I'm getting my steam cleaner ready and hiding the chocolate syrup - I've learned a thing or two too ;)
Hannah - Thanks for the encouragement - I think Ty is adorable too - those cheeky grins show that they are truly capable of mischief - the wheels are turning long before they can physically get into stuff. They are just waiting for the first opportunity!
Lana - funny how it seems like your own kids grow like weeds but we're always surprised when other people's kids grow too. I was shocked at how big Kyleigh is now! I shouldn't be, but I was - Loved your new pics.
Lisa- You make me blush - I had no idea I had such faithful followers hahahah. I admit it is reassuring in an odd way to see other people having the same issues that we're having - I'm sure Zachary will settle into his school much the same as Duncan will - they just need to mature a little and get used to the routine I guess. It's still early in the year in my opinion.....
Shauna - I will give you my secret - shhhhhhh - The trick is to always have lots and lots of chocolate on hand! And Duct Tape.
Lisa - Yes Whitby is close enough for me to run to. We hope to take the kids camping when they are a little older, and a little more responsible and obedient and well just plain older - Right now they'd run off and get eaten by a bear or something - I'm just not ready for that.....
Post a Comment