Friday, November 11, 2005

Here we go again

We had a meeting yesterday with Duncan's kindergarten teacher.
She had requested it, before the regular parent/teacher interviews to discuss a few things.

I was expecting a 15 minute meeting where she told us that he was a bit mischievous and didn't like colouring (which I knew) and there have been a few incidents that she had mentioned previously that I chalked up to him being 4 yrs old and still getting used to being in school full days.

What we got was an hour and a half of her outlining specific social problems that are serious.
She is not a doctor, but has worked with a number of special needs kids in the past and of course she mentioned Autism Spectrum DIsorder as a very real possibility - without knowing that we have spent the last year and a bit having Matthew assessed for that very same thing.

It honestly felt like a big kick in the gut, and I admit that I broke down and cried right there in front of her, as she listed her concerns, and I knew - I KNEW she was right, but in the back of my mind, I simply did not want to acknowledge that I may have TWO autistic boys.

I am kicking myself that I didn't see the warning signs. I mean, I picked up on Matthews problems very early on - so why was I so blind to my oldest son? Perhaps it was the fact that he just seemed so advanced - I just never for a moment considered that he was anything other than extremely intelligent (which I have been reassured by his teacher he is extremely advanced, and that is often a coping mechanism for kids with a social dysfunction to focus on academics).
In retrospect it makes so much sense. His obsession with water, hoses, nozzles and the like. His constant need for repetitive counting. Last night he counted up past 200 and was well on his way to 300 when Daddy took him to the Home Depot so I could put Matthew to bed in peace. I have no doubt that he could count to 1000 with minimal prodding.
But he doesn't know how to interract with the other kids. His teacher says she can see that he wants to join in, but isn't quite sure how to go about it.

So we are at square 1 with him. Only this time, I am prepared. We have researched and spent so much time getting the resources for our middle son that I know where to begin. We begin at the beginning - and rule out everything else.
It is frustrating to have Matthew make such giant leaps forward this year, only to see our older son taking steps backward. (in our minds).

I honestly don't know how to feel. Relieved that we are finding this out early, and not in 2nd or 3rd grade when he has already been ostracized, or devastated that the boy I thought would love school and excel is not living up to MY expectations.
I know I need to drop those. He is the same boy I had yesterday, and the day before. Nothing has changed except our knowledge of what is going on inside his brain.

I may take a little time off blogging for a while to absorb this - and to spend some much needed time with my boys.

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

Goodness Jenn, I don’t even know what to say, other than he is very lucky to have you for a mommy. Big hugs to ya!

Julie Julie Bo Boolie said...

{{{{{{{HUGS}}}}}}}}

That's a big kick in the gut for sure! I'm so sorry to hear this. I confess, I've never noticed anything in Duncan's behaviour that I didn't chalk up to simple shyness.

If you need a shoulder, a night out or even a playdate let me know.. I'm always here for you!

Hugs

Julie

MamaTink said...

Oh Jenn. I;m so sorry to hear this. Please know that you can count on me for any advice, support, or sminoff's you may need to get over this newest hurdle.

You've caught it at a good time Jenn. Granted, early detection is optimal, but not required to get him advancing. The fact that he looks like he wants to join is great Jenn...he has it in him. It just means different ways of getting it out.

HUGS to you and your family. You wouldn't have been given these beautiful children if God didn't think you were the Perfect mother for them.

~Lisa~

Hannah said...

Jenn, I am so so sorry.
Kick in the gut is right, I can't even imagine how you are feeling right now, especially after everything you've been through with Matthew.
I'll be thinking of you, praying for you, and hoping that you can get some answers soon.
BIG (((((HUGS)))))

Anonymous said...

Jenn,

I am so sorry that you have to encounter this issue once again in your life. At least you know where to start in getting him help, it's never too late. I feel very lucky in that Courtney is in a Grade one language program that deals specifically with socialization (email me & I can go into more detail for you) but I wonder if it's going to be enough for her in the future.

Big hugs to you both,

Shauna (murgatr)

dd 11/22/98
dd 6/27/02

Anonymous said...

Oh Jen! I'm so sorry for all of you. I can't even begin to imagine what you are feeling. You know where to find me if you just want to chat.

(((((Big Hugs!!!))))) to you and your family.

Anonymous said...

oops, that anonymous is me, April.

The other me said...

you know I know what you're going through and I know that you will be fine. Your boys are perfect, the rest of the world might need some work but they are divine.
It's only a few months since I walked weeping out of the school with the idea that both my boys were doomed for horrible lives..now they are shining and every day I see how splendid they are.

Julie Q said...

Duncan has great parents Jenn and you will help him all he needs.

I think all your boys are great. :)

Anonymous said...

He is lucky you're his mom, just as you are lucky to have him.

Check into Carol Gray's Social Stories ( the originals are better than the updates) and a book on "Mind-Reading" by P. Howlin and S. Baron-Cohen, which is less "touchy feely". You will be able to tell, based on his personality, which may help him more (if you think either one may be of any help)
Good luck :)

Brooke

Ginger Taylor said...

Getting the word once is hard. I can't imagine getting it twice.

I will pray for you and your family today. That you would feel encouraged and strong for all you have to do for your boys.

Ginger

Anonymous said...

I was checking in to your blog since it usually gives me a smile.I'm so sorry to see what a blow you were dealt at Duncan's conference. You guys will pull through it though. You are doing amazing things with Matthew and now that you know what you are up against Duncan will get all the help he needs.

You are one amazing mom! I'm struggling with just one small boy that doesn't want to cooperate at school. You really do inspire me, Jenn.

Anonymous said...

Jenn,
My sister also has two boys with high functioning autism. (They are waiting and watching their 3rd baby boy)

I believe she has been given these boys because she is an incredible mother, and they needed to be with her. She does amazing things for them.

I see the same quality in you. Your boys are so lucky to have you for a mom. They will need to have a lot of wonderful people on their side to fight for what they need. You will do this (and have been doing this) beautifully for them.

I know my sister has had to take time to grieve the loss of some of the hopes and dreams she had for her children...but she is now enjoying everyday with her wonderful beautiful boys who are smart, capable, and loving all because of her.

I know you will do the same. I'd be happy to share her e-mail address with you if you would like to talk to someone in a similar situation.

Take Care!!
Natalie

Jenn said...

everybody - Thanks so much for your support. It is much appreciated!