I never figured myself for a writer, or even for a regular journal type person; just never had the initiative to write consistently day after day - Yet somehow, online it is easier. Of course regular feedback and comments makes it all the more fun as well. I guess there is a little bit of my father's daily journaling in me.
My paternal grandmother kept a journal of sorts too. I never met her, as she died long before I was ever born, when she had small kids of her own. I have been told that I am like her in many ways. One thing she passed down to her son (my dad) was the ability to consistently write on an ongoing basis. My father has kept journals for as long as I can remember - not every day, but for long stretches of time. If I want to know what happened on May 15th, 1972 - chances are, my dad has it written down in one of his journals.
I find it cathartic in a way - cheaper than therapy. If I'm having a horrible day, or the kids have been beasties, I can write it all down. I even get sympathetic comments, reassurance that I'm not overreacting. Occasionally there is a nasty comment, but I have the power to delete it, and then I can write about how pathetic and sad and jealous some people must be to take the effort to make nasty comments on other people's blogs that they don't even know.
Also, I can look back on what I've written. I can re-live in excruciating detail some of the naughty misdeeds of the destructive duo, and I can actually laugh about it. Things like that are much funnier in retrospect.
As I sit here today - my house is tidy enough to have surprise pop in visitors without me being embarrassed;
the laundry is done (4 loads) and the boys are quiet - but not too quiet; that means trouble. They have been well behaved today, haven't been fighting (much) and we've had fun together. They took turns vacuuming today (a favourite passtime for them - Plus my house got cleaned up!) We made lunch together and ate at the table together and laughed and talked about stuff in general, and we baked a cake together for Daddy's birthday dinner tonight. They have been the sweet charming little boys I always dreamed of having.Matthew wore his tiger costume again all day today - Even fell asleep in it. I took a picture because he was so darn cute.

All in all a great day.
Chris is 35 today. I'm so excited to give him his presents, because I know he's going to really love them!
I can't say what they are, because he reads this too, so nanny nanny boo boo dear, you'll have to wait until tonight!
There - not a big deal for my 100th post but hey, I made it this far, I don't intend to stop anytime soon - the kids are still young, and have infinite blogging material left in them

10 comments:
Jenn
I love reading your blog's - Congratulations on your 100th post!! You are truly a talented storyteller and your boy's will so enjoy reading all this stuff 10 years or more from now.
Give Chris a birthday kiss from us and I hope that he enjoy's his cake tonight.
JM SWMBO
Woo hoo for your 100th post Jen. :) I have found them all very interesting/entertaining/educational, whatever. :)
I look forward to the next 100. :)
I love your posts, you give me hope sometimes! 100 more posts to ya!
I am so glad that you started blogging! Now that the kids are in school it's the only way I seem to be able to keep in touch!
Happy birthday to Chris.
Your house looks FAB (how could I EVER have doubted the choice of burgundy walls???).
and YES.. Matthew is just FARRR too cute :)
hooray! 100 down millions to go we hope! I love reading about your life....I love journals, I wrote til I moved to the states and every one of them got lost in the move.....20 years of memories darn it!
Woo Hoo on 100!!!
I look forward to the next 100!
And I love the pic of your little tiger. I love sleeping pics. That's when they are the sweetest.
Happy Birthday Chris!
A (APRILSHANE)
congrats ont he big 100!! I'm looking forward to the next 100.
My grandma would tell us wonderful and scary stories of her 3 boys... you have many fun years ahead!! My Dad and his brothers were best of friends even after the meat cleaver that missed one got stuck in the door.
I'm also looking forward to the next 100 posts from you, Jenn. I love reading your blog. It usually makes me laugh, it has made me cry, and it scares the bejeebers out of me because very soon Tyler will be old enough to form a "destructive duo" with Ethan and wreck havoc like Duncan & Matthew do!!
Happy birthday to Chris - and don't forget to post later on and tell us all about his pressies!
Congrats on 100! Keep it up, I enjoy reading it.
JM SWMBO - Thank you so much. The cake was delicious - the one piece that we had (see Post 101 - the great chocolate Cake Fiasco)
Julie - thankyou - I'm not too sure on the educational part, unless I'm giving other kids ideas on how to be the most mischievous they can be ;)
Jennifer - Hope. Yes we can all use a little hope. I hope these boys will eventually use thier powers for good....
Julie - Thanks for turning me onto the blogging world.
Crystal - I never would have believed you were shy either - people are surprising sometimes. Thanks for the compliments - we are more alike than you realize :)
the other me - how heartbreaking to lose those journals. You'll have to rely on your memory now, to figure out how you did so well with your older kids.
Too bad, a journal 'guide' would come in so handy ;)
April - sleeping children are the best!!
Donna - My boys come by their mischief quite honestly - My dad has told me countless stories of him and his 3 younger brothers and all the things they did. I'm in trouble I think. The meat cleaver story sounds interesting though. I bet it would make a good blog!
Hannah - Yep - you will soon have plenty of naught blog material for your own blog. I see that cheeky smile on Tyler, and know that I'm going to be reading about him anyday now ;)
Susie - Thanks so much - Us mum's of boys gotta stick together for support.
Mr Happy - Thanks - I enjoy yours as well.
Post a Comment