When my sister got a new video camera, she kindly donated her old one to us - I like it, it's a little Sony camcorder, easy to use, easy to hook up, and so what if it's not digital - it's old but it works. Ok the battery doesn't work, so it has to be plugged in, which is why they got a new one, but hey, it works and since we won't be purchasing a video camera anytime in the near future, I am grateful for it.
So I was taping Matthew yesterday (long story short - it may possibly be broadcast on a nationally syndicated show - more on that as it develops).
There are things that you notice on video that you don't really notice in real life - like another set of eyes, or seeing the world from a different vantage point, even though I was right there taping it live.
What struck me the most is that Matthew definitely without a doubt in my mind will eventually get an official diagnosis. I'm thinking of actually submitting some of the tapes to his doctor so she can see what he is like outside of the "assessment" window. Even his language, which we all thought was fine, no problem, the boy spoke sentences before he was two but on video I managed to capture his lack of language, his inability to speak the words needed in a particular situation and merely parrot back a response. It's so obvious to me on the tape.
On the other hand, I also captured something delightful - Matthew enthralled with a piece of music on my computer, and not only was he pumping his legs furiously to the music, but he was pretending to play the music he was hearing on the piano. We don't have a piano, so he used the table he was sitting at as his keyboard. It was very cute, and amazing in a way. Maybe I should give him piano lessons. He's only 3, but music is so soothing to him. It captures his attention like nothing you've ever seen. Of course, don't try to play along with him, it's strictly a solitary activity, and he'll hit you if you try to play an imaginary keyboard beside him.
I'm going to tape a little every day I think. I am learning so much about him - seeing through the eye of the camera.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

3 comments:
Hey Jenn,
It's Anita (from BZ). I caught your blog signature on a post awhile back and peek in on it every once in awhile. I love reading your blog. I think you've missed your calling as a writer. :)
I'm glad that you got a video camera... it is great watching back what you taped and catching things you miss. Reading your blog just made me realize how long it has been since I pulled out our own and taped Jordyn. I love to 'spy' on her with it and tape her playing when she doesn't know I'm there. It's amazing what you see everyday, but you still somehow 'miss'.
~ Anita
Great idea with the camera and showing his doctor how he is in his comfort zone. :)
Zachary won't let us sing or dance along either. He yells at us and tells us we messed him up!
Yep. Tobias is the SAME way with music, but instead of playing the piano, he plays the guitar.
I'm so glad you were able to get it on camera, how he is in his real world. Not the assessment world.
HOpefully the Dr will look at these and be able to get through the process quicker.
Wouldn't life be so much easier if they actually did the assessments in home? It just seems to make SO MUCH sense to me to do it that way.
((hugs))
Jes
Post a Comment