His first bike, was a tricycle that he got as a birthday present from Grandma and Grandpa when he was 2 yrs old. It's a beautiful trike - even has a handle on it (not shown) for mummy to help give a push.

Problem was, he was too small to ride it - even with the seat adjusted to the frontmost position, he couldn't reach the pedals until he was 3-1/2, and then the winter came upon us, and by the time spring rolled around he turned 4 and behold - his legs could reach the pedals easily. He has enjoyed his tricycle immensely this past summer. He's also grown about 4 inches since his birthday, and it is funny to watch his long legs pedal furiously to get his trike moving at warp speed. He believes he is very fast.
He believes that on his tricycle he is faster than the car, and that any day now he's going to just pedal all the way to grandmas - some 35km away.
He now is in the market for a 2 wheeler, with training wheels of course.
He told me that he needs a bike. A red bike with two wheels. Colour changes with his mood, but we've gone through his pink phase and his purple phase and now everything must be red (yes there is a reason we havent' painted his room yet).
As a reward for excellent behaviour this past week, and because I felt like it, I promised him a trip to look at bikes.
After his doctor's appointment, we headed across the street to the mall, where a giant Toys R Us store beckoned us in.
We found the bikes, and Duncan immediately latched on to this one:

He rode it around the store for 15 minutes and was rather distressed when mummy didn't up and buy it for him right away, but I reminded him that today was a looking day, and we were not getting a bike but rather seeing which size to get. Truthfully, I wanted to see if he'd actually ride it, as my main concern was getting him a bike and him deciding that he wouldn't get on it. He is a perfectionist, and if he cannot master something immediately, he refuses to engage in that activity until he can do it perfectly. It took us nearly a month to get him on his tricycle (once he was big enough) and after that we couldn't get him off of it.
Nevertheless, we left the store sans bike - only to see........
SANTA'S CASTLE all set up in the middle of the mall - and better yet, not a single person in line!!
Our previous experience with mall santa's has resulted in an amusing picture of a mild mannered gentle looking Santa with two screaming boys on his lap, tears streaming down their cheeks.
Duncan really likes Santa - from a distance. He likes the idea of Santa, and he sure liked the nozzles that Santa gave him last year (Santa has more to give this year, if we can just remember where mummy hid them....)
He talks about asking Santa for stuff, and then faced with the very real thing before him, he willingly walked down the ramp holding my hand, assuring me that he was going to ask Santa for all kinds of things.
Get to the bottom of the ramp. Kindly gentle Santa with welcoming open arms, and my 4 yr old suddenly develops a case of stranger anxiety.
After much prodding, and mummy staying within 3 ft of him at all times, He was finally coaxed into telling Santa what he wanted - although there was no way he was sitting in that jolly man's lap, he did stand directly in front of him, and almost looked at him. In barely above a whisper he stated "The red bike".
I was proud of him. In years past, he has only ever asked Santa for things like new hose nozzles, or a stop sign or things that are not really traditional "wants". He still wants new nozzles for Christmas. Matthew wants "Lollipops and crackers."
but a bike is a real dream gift!
In other news;
Matthew has learned how to climb up on the kitchen counter - without a chair or anything. Little stinker.
He gets into all sorts of stuff.

It is hard to see, but he found a little music box thing that used to be part of a stuffed toy - It had broken, and I fixed it, but had to open up the toy to get the music box out, so now it's sitting in it's casing. Matthew loves music and just stared at it intently for several minutes. Yes, he's still wearing his halloween costume....

Duncan was putting a puzzle together, and got mad at me for taking his picture. The big grump. Sometimes he's such a poser, but I guess he didn't want anyone to see him with an unfinished puzzle...heaven forbid!

Joey might have said his first word today. He might have said "Yeah". I don't know because it could be a coincidence....everything sounds like yeah! I asked him if he wanted milk, and he said "yeah". He drank the milk.
UPDATE: I just asked Joey if he was ready for bed, and he said "yeah, yeah". I think he's just babbling still.....Oh well.

8 comments:
WOW! that is a simply fabulous red bike! Sarah is saving her allowance up to buy herself a new bigger bike in the spring (she gets half the money for Care Bears and half she must save for her new bike).. I only hope when the time comes we find one as shiny and cool as that one!
Matthew is a DOLL in his tiger costume. If he wants to wear it on Sunday I'm sure Sarah will be thrilled to join him in her Lizard costume which she also insists on donning every chance she gets. We even have an extra Bunny, Batman and Witch Costume if Duncan gets the urge to join them ;)
I'm also quite sure that Joey is talking to you... he just happened to be ready for bed is all :)
See you soon!
I'm glad you are blogging again, Jenn (though I completely understand your reasons for taking a break).
That is ONE HOT BIKE! You tell Duncan he has excellent taste! I'd love to get Ethan a bike like that. He is also getting too tall for his trike, which has been able to pedal by himself since he was 2 and a half (so he has gotten lots of use out of it, LOL).
So cute that Joey's first word was "yeah". I'm waiting (not very patiently) for Tyler's first word. Ethan talked early (9 months, for crying out loud) but Tyler doesn't say anything that makes sense. I'm hoping he says something cool like "yeah" for his first word.
Oh, and Matthew looks adorable in his tiger costume. Grrrr!
Aw, Duncan deserves for Santa to bring him that red bike. How brave to get that close to Santa! I know my boy never would! Not for every toy in Toys R Us!
Matthew is too cute still wearing his costume! I wish Zachary would still wear his. Or just want to. Oh well, I was lucky he wore it on Halloween. :) Clever boy figuring out how to get up there without a chair.
And Joey, I bet he is talking to you. I am sure he will start to say more and more very soon. :)
LOL at Joey saying "Yeah" Jon does that too.
IMO, he really did say 'Yeah'.
Jon also says things like "Where did it go?" and "There it is!" or "I do!" or "Juice!" (even though he really means 'milk!')
Anyway, he'll get there and you will be wishing he would shut up!
Can I say too many times that I am a bit in love with Matthew? I am giddy at the idea of Duncan not only standing by Santa but talking to him as well, I juts know Santa has already planned exactly how the bike will be bought....Seth has so far climbed up and over us to get away from Santa and Isaac...well you know the deal! Lovely lovey read today and the pics of my cyber boy in his tiger suit... heart melt.
Wow! *I* want that cool red bike!! lol As does Aidan...to quote him..."WHOA!! RED BICYCLE", "that MINE red bicyle" LOL
Love the very Real pictures of Matthew! It's great that you're able to capture the real him. Add a red bow, and a bell on the tail, maybe one of those reindeer antler headbands, and he's good to go for christmas!
Hugs!!
~Lisa~
Yeah for Duncan, Santa can be such an intimidating fellow…I have known many a four year old to burst out into tears when confronted with the big guy! Seeing Matthew perched up on that counter in the kitty suit was so cute, reminded me of real feline behavior, don’t they always go where you do not want them to. Duncan looks like he just was not in the mood to be photographed; I think our generation of mom’s are going to be classified as those who captured everything on digital images. Yeah (no pun intended) for Joey, sounds like a good first word to me, better that “no”.
Susie - Yes, we are getting him the bike for Christmas, although its tempting to keep putting it off, as just the mere mention of 'the bike' is usually enough to make him behave extra good!
Julie Bo Boolie - We had a blast at your house - Thanks so much. Matthew wanted to wear his tiger to school today, but forgot about it after a waffle with syrup was waved under his nose....
I am also convinced that Joey is "talking" to me in his own special way.
Hannah -Thanks. Joey is my latest talker as well. The other boys both had 'light' as their first word.
Julie - Yes, it was incredibly brave for him to get in front of Santa. The jolly fellow was pretty patient and gentle though - that helps. Matthew usually wears nothing, so I'm actually pleased when he wears his tiger costume - at least a tiger is better than naked boy who will run to the door to answer it, flashing any unsuspecting girl guides selling cookies LOL
Anon/April - - Yeah, I know. Cute that Jon does it too.
The other me - How is that everything you write makes me smile? Thankyou so much for the compliments, and the understanding. I know you can relate.
Mamatink - Aidan is a riot! That boy will get a bike soon enough - I can practically hear him ooohing over it already!
Jennifer - So true about capturing everything on digital images. I thought my parents took a lot of pictures, I'm sure I take twice as many easily - but it's nice not to have to pay for developing! CD's are cheap :).
Joey doesn't Say 'no' but he does shake his head and throw things, or throw tantrums.
Post a Comment