He is by far my latest talker. Duncan at this point was beginning a speech explosion and Matthew was speaking sentences.
Joey however is my strong silent type.
I know he tries to communicate - occasionally.
He will grab my hand and wrap it around a toy in an effort to get me to make the toy work for him.
He will grunt and babble but not put forth anymore than a single syllable "Ba" for backpack, bottle, or well that's it....
I realized however this past week, that he is communicating with me through touch.
He is a very cuddly baby. Much more so than any I've ever met. He is content to stay in my arms all day, if I had nothing else to do. He will sit on my lap and snuggle morning noon and night.
When I go to his crib in the mornings, he greets me with a smile and outstretched arms, awaiting his morning cuddles, and every day I pick him up and carry him downstairs, patting his back and saying "good morning lovey, I love you".
This week, he's been patting MY back.
In fact, every time I pick him up, I feel his little hand, gently patting my back - very reassuring, as if he is saying "I love you too mummy"
It's very sweet. And I think it's his way of communicating with me, since the words aren't there.
Who needs words anyway?
A simply pat on the back is ten thousand times better to me.
He found a way to tell me something, and I'm listening, and loving it.

13 comments:
What a sweet boy!
JMSWMBO
My Dear Little Joey! He sure is a cuddlebum. Enjoy it while you can!
LYM
glorious! I have to say that H and I sigh over all the angst with Isaac not speaking, 9 months ago we couldn't understand a word he didn't say! Now? OMG we must tell him to be quiet 10 times a day, the kid never shuts up....enjoy Joey's peacefulness, soak up those snuggles, heaven!
This post brought tears of joy to my eyes because it reminded me of the times that Griffin has patted me on the back, it's just so sweet and loving! Thank you for sharing, your little guy is absolutely gorgeous! Oh yes, and thank you for your comment on my blog, I am glad that I found yours....now I can visit regularly.
Lora :)
Enjoy the cuddles while you can - Kaitlyn also loves to snuggle with me & talked very early compared to her big sis.
Great pics as per usual Jenn!
Shauna (murgatr)
dd 11/22/98
dd 6/27/02
Awww, what a sweet story!
I have been (kinda) worried that Tyler hasn't spoken a real word yet, but now I think I will go home and see if he is trying to "talk" to me in other ways .... He is not as cuddly as Joey sounds, but I bet I'm missing Tyler's nonverbal communication simply because I am "listening for words" and not just Listening.
Gorgeous photo Jenn. You look amazing :)
I know you will enjoy your baby's snuggles. I just wish Niece would snuggle more. She will "hug" on command but it lasts about 1.3 seconds. Then yesterday afternoon she surprised me. She was "reading" her books contentedly on the floor beside me and I dozed off only to awaken to her baby kiss on my lips. I opened my eyes to see my girl with a finger to her lips, "shhhh seepin'".... gotta love it!
lym
Aw, cute and cuddly! What more could you ask for? :) Too sweet him patting your back.
That's great. My kiddos are pretty much past any kind of snuggling, except when very tired or if watching tv, but even then it's minimal.
Also I just read that you are a lefty. It's funny how lefty's are proud to be lefty's. I too am a lefty and proud.
Oh yes.. he knows how to tell you the most important thing of all :)
Anonymous/JMSWMBO - Grandma's a little biased, but you're absolutely right
Marilyn - Another biased Grandma, but you're absolutely right. and I do enjoy it.
Griffin's mom - Thanks for visiting - I bookmarked your blog as well. The sweet things in life are made all the sweeter, when we've already experienced the difficult times.
Shauna - Thanks so much - you're going to have to start a blog so I can read it and post back. I've seen your pics and the girls are growing and lovely.
Hannah - I just bet Tyler is full of communication. Thanks for the compliment
Seeester My Niece is just the cutest. I can't believe she's so verbal - Girls are so different from boys.
Send me more pics of her - you are taking lots right?
Julie - I couldn't ask for more - although I sure wouldn't complain if the kids suddenly decided to clean the house and do laundry.....;) I'm enjoying the cuddles immensely.
Mr Happy - Leftys are cool. We are so much more intelligent than right handed people, and anyone who disagrees is obviously right handed and therefore wrong. I married a lefty and had lefty kids too.
julie julie bo boolie I dunno, he hasn't told me I won the lottario yet.....Ah but his unwavering love is worth so much more....
That's so lovely - and what I missed so much with mine. Thanks for sharing him. :-) And that's a lovely photo, too! Thanks for popping by my blog. :-)
astryngia - I love sharing my kids - they are my light. Thank you for the compliment, and for dropping by - I lurk a bit on many of the autism blogs, and occasionally comment when I have something remotely useful to add......
Susie - yes, he's a sweetie - I never really had this kind of cuddlyness with the other two, so I am sucking it all up, especially since he's my last. I know you'll agree with me that being the mom of 3 boys takes a special (patient) kind of woman, but they are so worth it!! And just imagine the kind of future MEN they will become.!!
Post a Comment