Tuesday, November 22, 2005

The dilemma

So I'm puttering around today, cleaning the kids rooms, cleaning my room, the kitchen etc. The place looks - presentable, so I figure thats good enough and get out some paper and ribbon and scissors for Matthew to play with at a table, cutting and pasting. Baby was napping, so it was a good chance for us to have some one on one time.

Looked up at the clock - CRAP!! It's 2:40pm.
Duncan gets out of school at 3pm and they tend to let the kindergarten out 5 minutes early, so I always try to be there by 2:50 so that I am ready and waiting when he comes out the door.

So my dilemma: - do I make a mad dash attempt to get Matthew dressed (yes he has peeled all his clothes off as usual), and hustle him out to the van in this -9 degree wind chill weather, or do I take the easy route, and put on a Dora video and leave him at home, since Chris is working from home today.

Well of course I took the easy route. It's much faster to get him a cup of chocolate milk and throw on a movie, then to wrestle with him about putting on "linky socks" (He hates wrinkley socks), and pants and a shirt and coat. Quickly run down to the basement to tell Chris that I'm going to pick Duncan up, and keep an ear out for Matthew. He agrees.
I make it to the school with 2 minutes to spare. Minutes that feel really long when you are standing out in sub-zero weather waiting, but it's kind of nice for a change to talk to the other mum's without running after Matthew, or attending to a screaming Joey who hates the stroller.

I was gone for exactly 21 minutes total.

I come home to find naked boy running through the house - around his mouth it is stained pink, blue, green and orange.
He has in my absence, climbed up to the kitchen counter and opened a package of cookies, taken all the fruit cups out of the cupboard and lined them all up on the counter, and somehow, managed to get my rainbow coloured cake sprinkles down. I don't know where he found the sprinkles, but the evidence was around his mouth, as well as a giant pile of sprinkles smack dab in the middle of my family room.

Next time I have a dilemma, remind me that the easy route isn't necessarily the easy route in the long run.....

I'm off to go find my vacuum.....

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh no! Sounds like someone had a blast while mom was away. At least Joey was sleeping. He can't cause too much trouble in bed!

April

Anonymous said...

Oh Dear...I sure wish I lived closer so you could call me over for 1/2 an hour. The little monkey makes hay while the sun shines eh? And Chris wouldn't notice because the little monkey was probably very quiet while getting into trouble. Just proves you can't take your eyes off him for a minute. Oh well, we still love him.Hurrah for the vacuum!

Anonymous said...

I don't suppose Chris heard a thing men just don't hear kids’ rummaging around. Oh well at least he didn't get the scissors.

Julie Julie Bo Boolie said...

That's right up there with Gunther snoring through Chloe crying for 20 minutes the other night... Honestly they go deaf the minute their eyes are closed or in front of a computer!

The other me said...

the really easy route here would have been " Hey Chris..could you pick up Duncan?" When I leave for the school run Isaac has to come or he holds his breath til I get back ( and also hates hates HATES fwisty sockth)and I have to talk to whoever is watching ELi as if they are retarded.... " please watch the boy...I mean WATCH the boy...he can destroy everthing in 3 seconds, don't be fooled by quiet. BE VERY AFRAID OF QUIET.He likes getting out of doors, water is his best friend and my worst enemy WATCH THE BOY!!"

MamaTink said...

Oh my. I am so scared of raising my boys Jenn, they are just so much more WORK! LOL

HUGS! laugh about it.

~Lisa~