School pictures.
Prepaid please - Results GUARANTEED.
These people have not met my son.
I have to say, that I'm not thriilled with this school photographer. I know professional photographers, and even do a little of my own on the side, although I consider myself strictly amateur.
Still, I can usually get my kids to smile.
In fact - it doesn't take much - especially with a 3 yr old that thinks just about everything is funny. Burp and he laughs, pretend to fart and it sends him into hysterics, slapstick is hilarious, and funny noises almost guarantee a smile. I would expect a school photographer used to taking pictures of young children would come prepared with an arsenal of 'funny' to help them achieve their 'guarantee'
I wasn't terribly worried about the school pictures - I mean, I don't even expect them to be studio perfect - after all, they are doing hundreds of kids in a day, not much time to fuss around.
Still, I expected that they would do something marginally better than what we recieved. I expected the picture to be centered.
And I really wouldn't care if it's a magazine worthy picture, my expectations are not high - I simply didn't want him to be sticking his tongue out.
Not a difficult request In My Humble Opinion. I even coached his teacher on a few little tricks that I use to get beaming smiles out of my kids. Really, I take some pretty good pictures if I do say so myself.
this however, is the "memory to last a lifetime" that we received. After we had to pay - sight unseen, no proofs for these pictures.

In a way it's funny - because it's so totally him. They likely said - 'don't stick out your tongue' which is basically an invitation to him to see how quickly it takes for anyone to notice that he is subtly sticking out his tongue.
The photographer snapped his pic, and there we go.
In the age of digital photography, I imagine school photographers have gone digital - Why wouldn't you with the sheer volume of work - it's cheaper, and easier to store for reprints. Therefore, I have a hard problem believing that he couldn't take a few pictures of each kid, and just keep the best ones and delete the rest.
Is this the BEST picture of Matthew? - Not by a long shot.
His class picture shows him beaming:

- Why couldn't they have gotten THAT face against the nice background?
I know it's only nursery school - but come on, these are guaranteed pictures.
They do have 1 retake day. They will notify the students "please do not contact the school".
Uh, yeah, I'm going to trust a 3 yr old to tell me when it's picture retake day. I don't think so.
This photographer doesn't really like his job, which is a shame. I'd love to have that job.

10 comments:
Oh dear. That is not a good picture. Like you say, it cannot have been the ONLY photo they took of Matthew - and having said that, it cannot have been the BEST one! Or could it? (Perhaps he was pulling a huge face in the other ones? Or his tongue was sticking out further?) I don't know, but I don't blame you for being annoyed! Guaranteed satisfaction - yeah right.
I hate those places where you have to pay before you see the end result. Luckily I have been SO lucky with my kid's pictures at those kind of places - they've always been smiling and looking at the camera.
I really do think you should take over that guy's job. You take wonderful pictures! As do most mothers, I guess its all the practice :)
Sophie's school tried that pay before you view deal once....must have found no-one bothered ( I certainly didn't !) because the next year we were back to getting the tiny print with PROOF written all over it! I agree that the class pic is divine! The individual one doesn't do him justice ( and with my kids you just have to say BOOBIES and they howl!!) the fact that they appear to have only just realised where he is sitting is the most maddening part!
Grrrr....yep, I would go with him to re-take day. Or better yet, just go get them done at Wally World...its so much cheaper and you can choose the background yourself.
I would write them a letter, but then again I write alot of letters...
As IF that is the best they could do!! We had to pre-pay for Jenna's as well...thanks LifeTouch. We also got a Satisfaction Guarantee. We'll see.
Maybe if you can find out when re-take day is you can spend a little while the day before playing "Picture Day" Sit him on a stool, and start snapping. And then pray he remembers to smile for the photographer.
I'm so sorry. What a rip off.
~Lisa~
Sorry Jenn, But at least it does show is beautiful curly hair!! And it does show his personality too. I think I'd keep it but the fact that they did say "satisfaction guaranteed" does irk me enough to keep doing "retake" day until they get the best shot!! Good luck!
Here's an original thought - don't purchase what you don't like. Jenn, you take enough great pictures of your kids to find one you like & go to Costco to get it enlarged for much cheaper.
That's my .02
Shauna (murgatr)
dd 11/22/98
dd 6/27/02
I would go for retakes. I think you are right, they told him not to and he snuck it in. I'm pretty sure the photographer would have the school send a note home for retake day. They always did for our kids. They never trusted the kids with that kind of information.
He does have great curly hair Jenn. :) Such a cute little boy.
Yes you could do a better job. I can't believe they expected you to be happy with that pic. The one with his teacher is great.
LYM
LOL! I'm sorry, but I thought it was cute. I can see why you aren't thrilled with it though ;-)
I know your talent with editing pictures. Maybe you could take the one with him teacher and put the nice background behind him?
It's a thought ;-)
A (APRILSHANE)
Nope.. I wouldn't be happy either. At least get the darn thing centerred!
Post a Comment