Sunday October 16th - started off for us at 6:00am.
Alarm off, struggle out of bed, wake and dress three sleeping boys, and pack their bags for the day - For we were off on an adventure!!!
Sunday was the day of the 11th Annual Toronto Marathon, and my husband Chris was a participant.
Race time was 9:00am, but bag check in was 8:00am.
For us to actually get into Toronto in time, we had to leave at 7:30, which meant really aim to leave by 7:00 and hopefully get everyone out to the van, buckled and strapped in and all our stuff so we can really leave at 7:30.
Managed to get Chris to his starting destination; wish him luck, and say "see you in 5 hours or so" while I took the kids over to Grandma and Grandpas church for the morning, and then back to grandma and grandpas for lunch and an afternoon of playing outside in the leaves while I took the red rocket downtown to meet my husband - who had been running this whole time....
Arrived at Queen's Park at 1:30pm - I knew the race was finishing somewhere around here; but where. When in doubt, follow the runners with race bibs. Walked about a kilometre until I found the finish line, then turned around and started walking back to see if Chris was nearing the end. 2 minutes later I saw him. Running. Not fast, but slowly and steadily, and as I yelled a word of encouragement to him - and let him know I was there - I think it spurred him on just a little bit. We ran that last little stretch together until the final minute where it was "runners only" and I caught up with him after he had collected his medal.
26 miles. 42.2 Kilometres. And he did it in under 5 hours - Can I tell you how proud I am of him?
This is a man who only started running a little over a year ago.
A man who changed his whole life within a year - dropped 90 lbs, kept most of it off, changed his eating habits, and got into shape. This is a huge accomplishment for anyone, and I am beyond proud of him.
we came back to my parents house, where my mom had a roast beef dinner waiting for us. yummy. so we spent the afternoon there, and left to come home at 6:30pm. All 3 kids fell asleep on the way home, so they were all in bed by 7:15 - it was wonderful. Chris crashed on the couch, and I was so tired that I was fighting going to sleep, so I could enjoy the evening with the kids in bed - several hours to read, watch TV and eat ice cream uninterrupted! Still, I crawled into bed at 11:oopm which was early for me - I'm usually up until 1am or so. Slept in until 9:00am this morning!!
Unfortunately, the boys did not.
They had climbed on a chair and gotten the keys down.
Opened the basement.
We are in the process of finishing off the basement, and Chris had just gotten 2 pieces of drywall up.
This morning, Duncan managed to get a hold of the cordless drill and drilled 18 screws into the drywall.
Were it not for the whole danger aspect of it, it would have been cute to see how much he wants to "help" build the basement. I now have to hide my keys.
Since I can't really hide the basement.....
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

10 comments:
Way to go Chris!! What an awesome achievement.
It sounds like you had a great day.
Your boys are just too much!! I cannot believe Duncan screwed 18 holes into the new wall!! And they can open doors with keys by themselves??? WOW.
Got any pics of the holy/holey wall?
Woo Hooo! Chris!
That rocks! I'm proud of him too;-)
Glad you had such a great day yesterday. And as long as no one got hurt the 18 screws really aren't a big deal. I mean, at least he didn't get a hammer and knock holes in the wall.... of course that may have woke up mommy, and I'm sure he knew that:-)
Jenn, your boys are simply astounding! HOw fast are those brains working to get into this stuff all the time? they are going to be inventors or incredible in some field or other....my goodness is there ever a day when you aren't spinning?!?
Congrats to Chris! We're proud of him too.
I think Duncan is going to be an architect. Wow!
LYM
WTG Chris!! I am in awe of all runners!
Oh MAN on the drywall!! What a monkey.
HUGS!
~Lisa~
I am in awe of Chris! That is such an amazing thing to do....I can't run to the mailbox and back.
Duncan astounds me, he is such a helpful child, I have to wonder if he is going to grow up to be in some sort of helpful occupation like Doctor or so.....he really is quite smart!
WTG Chris!!!
And WOW.. Duncan's bloody brilliant isn't he?? He's going to be the BEST husband later on with all his clever fix-it ness :)
Hugs
Julie
Congrats to Chris for his amazing race!! Are you sure you want drills for the boys for Christmas? I already bought them but I do have the receipt still!!! Do you have a pic of the screwed up wall?
Wow - Voluntarily running for just under 5 hours straight? Cheers to your hubby! Quite an accomplishment. I can't even begin to imagine that pain.
hannah Yes, I have pics of the holey wall. I have to download them. I'll save them to show him his "handiwork" when he's 16 and trying to impress his girlfriend or something ;)
Anon I think it's you April, yes? And yes we are glad he didn't use a hammer - or a pizza cutter....
the other me - My brain spins constantly - but not as fast as theirs I think. I could use a chillow today!
marilyn I would love for Duncan to be an architect - then he could design my dream home for me!
mamatink- I'm in awe too quite frankly. Duncan I'm surprised doesn't like bananas....
Jennifer- I can run to the mailbox and back - it's across the street. I can't imagine running for 5 hours though. Duncan constantly surprises me. Typical first born I guess.
Ghoolie - We're grooming Duncan so that he can come and help us when we get older. I just pray he uses his brains for good.
Linna - Thanks on behalf of Chris, and thanks on behalf of my son. I just hope he doesn't get a swelled head with all those compliments....
Seester Thanks for the congrats. Yes we still want the drills. I'm quite sure a plastic toy won't do near the amount of damage that he inflicted with Opas $200 DeWalt professional drill. I need to download the pic still.
Mr. Happy Thanks for the cheers - I can imagine the pain though. I gave birth to Duncan without meds. The difference is that I would never do that again, and had many many drugs for subsequent births, whereas my husband is planning his next drug free marathon....I think he likes the pain. I'm a wuss.
Post a Comment