7:30pm – Arrive.
8:00pm – Boys break VCR.
That’s how our vacation started. With a bang so to speak. Unfortunately that bang destroyed the VCR (not ours) as well as the video they were watching, so it then became time for bed.
Problem #1 – The boys aren’t used to sleeping in the same room. They play off each other and just don’t settle down.
Problem #2 – We forgot the baby gates.
Problem #3 – We also forgot to brink Kiki. Luckily, Matthew is so caught up in all the ‘newness’ that he hasn’t asked for it yet.
By 10pm, the boys are not happy sleeping in the same room. Duncan wants a light on, Matthew wants it completely dark.
We fix this problem by turning the lights out, and putting Duncan in a different bedroom downstairs, with a light.
10:05 – Duncan is asleep.
Matthew decides to sleep on the floor. Bangs his head on the dresser for 30 minutes and finally drifts asleep.
Mummy carries Duncan up from the basement, and plops him into Matthew’s room.
Mummy and Daddy go to bed, with Joey in the pack and play in the same room.
3:00am – Joey wakes screaming. Decides he wants to play.
Mummy decides that having baby in the same room just isn’t going to work for a whole week – We put the pack and play in the basement, and put Joey back to sleep. He cries for 5 minutes.
Monday August 1, 2005
Today dawned bright and sunny, as the boys got up and ate cereal, while I tried to figure out how I was going to squeeze a few more minutes of rest before facing the beasty boys!
Morning passed uneventfully. Since the VCR was broken, they decided to see what the backyard was like. They found a croquet set, and batted a few balls around, and ate popsicles, before they came in and decided to play in the basement.
All the adults were upstairs reading, relaxing, and not noticing how quiet the boys were being downstairs. I went to investigate.
They’d found some games and puzzles.
Unfortunately, the contents of 3 puzzles, and 12 games were scattered in a big pile on the floor, including a game of trivial pursuit, and EVERY SINGLE Trivial pursuit card! (about 2000 cards)
3 different decks of playing cards, Yahtzee, Boggle, Dominoes, Puzzles (1 550pc, 1 300pc and 1 100pc) a few games I’d never heard of before, but which contained A LOT of different pieces all jumbled up together.
It took us over 2 hours to pick everything up, and put it in the correct boxes, leaving me with 3 puzzles to sort out. Luckily the 100 pc had larger pieces than the other ones, so it was easy to figure out.
I sat downstairs sorting puzzle pieces while Chris made me some lunch….That took an additional 45 minutes.
Finally got everything put away. Joey went down for a nap, and felt I could relax – A bit.
Decided to read a little outside. Didn’t last too long. It was hot! Chris wanted to go into London, so he could see where the London office was that he’ll be driving to tomorrow.
Boys wanted to go to the beach.
While Joey napped, Chris had time to work on his laptop, while I took the boys to the beach, then we planned to all go into London for Dinner.
The Beach is just across the street from the cottage, but down about 70,000 stairs….wooden stairs…..with no railings.
We saw it as an adventure. I lugged the beach umbrella, 2 buckets with shovels and toys, 3 towels, and a cooler bag of drinks down to the beach, trying to hold the boys hands.

Of course once we got down there and got set up, Matthew decided the sand was far too hot (it was REALLY Hot), and he didn’t want to play in it. He also was afraid of the waves, even though we were WAY far back on the beach, he still didn’t trust the waves. “They’re trying to get me” he kept wailing. After 10 minutes of complaining, he said he had to go to the bathroom. Luckily, Grandma had come down to the beach, and offered to take him back to the cottage. So then I was left with one.
Duncan Loved the waves this year (last year would not set foot in water, and this year is crashing in the waves!) We had the best time, and all too soon, it was time to drag our stuff back up the 95,000 stairs (I swear they multiplied!)
I made Duncan shower to take all the sand off his feet, and I showered too, getting nearly a bucketful of sand out of my bathing suit! By 4:30pm we were all ready to go to London. Duncan and Matthew had spent a few hours being cats this afternoon and saying nothing but “Meow” and then promptly falling asleep as soon as the van started moving.
1 Hour into London. Stopped at Best Buy to pick up a new VCR for the cottage, as a replacement. (Have I mentioned before how expensive kids are????) found the office, and then had dinner at Pizza Hut.
Arrived back at the cottage around 8:30 – Took a picture of a gorgeous sunset, and packed the kids into bed (separate rooms) awaiting to see what tomorrow has in store for us!

Tuesday August 2, 2005
Another gorgeous day. Chris drove into London early (left at 7am) and I face the prospect of a full day here, with the kids, minus my husband.
True to form, they woke up early. Actually, it was an uneventful night, so we lucked out there. The kids were anxious to try the beach again, after Grandma had gone into town and came back with a few goodies – New beach shoes, so the sand wouldn’t be hot. They can wear them on the sand and in the water, so that was a big hit.
Also new sunglasses that changed colour in the sun, and some new sand toys to go along with their buckets.
We hit the beach again – this time, much better prepared, and the boys had a great time in the sand this time – even Matthew! I helped them build a sand castle and we all had a great time.
1 hour was about all they could stand before they decided they were much too hungry to stay at the beach, so up all the stairs we traipsed, back to the cottage.
Fairly uneventful day, punctuated by my constant head checking – Whew! I really miss fenced in backyards!
Took the kids into Grand Bend (about 10km away) to go and get Ice Cream, they enjoyed that.
Joey turned 15 months – walks about 4 or 5 steps before he loses his balance. It’ll come though. I’m sure 3 months from now, I’ll be wishing for these wobbly first steps again.
Wednesday August 3rd
3:00am Duncan wakes up screaming. Unfamiliar place – he wanted the light on.
Chris got up to try and sooth him. Almost got him back to bed before he started wailing again that he had to go to the bathroom, but it was too dark.
Turned the bathroom light on.
Screaming again, that it was now too bright.
Finally got him back to bed and asleep.
Boys woke up around 8:30. Chris had to work again, but today was able to work remotely using the high speed connection from the B&B across the street.
Spent the day again, hovering over the boys, making sure they didn’t wander off. Went down to the beach again for an hour.
Grandma and Grandpa took us all to The Growling Gator tonight. Word on the street was that it was a family friendly restaurant.
Had to wait until Chris was done work, so we didn’t actually go until 6:30 – managed to find parking in Grand Bend, a party town, and settled into our seats. Everyone who worked there looked to be about 17 or under (except the bartender) and after an hour of waiting for a proper server, with 3 tired and hungry kids, we finally got our order in, and food came shortly thereafter. Food was excellent, but service needed some work. Who knew they’d be packed to the gills on a Wednesday evening….
Finally got back to the cottage, and got the kids settled into bed. It had cooled off some, so I went for my run – yes, at 10 oclock at night. Up and down the cottage road, for 26 minutes (3 1-minute walking breaks). But I did it, and felt good.
Thursday, August 4, 2005
4:30am – Matthew screaming this time. Not sure why.
I came into try and settle him, and ended up sleeping inbetween the boys to stop them from fidgety fighting in the middle of the night.
5:30am – snuck out and crawled into my own bed
5:34am – Duncan up (to pee) – had to put him back to sleep.
6:00am – snuck out and crawled into my own bed (again)
7:30am – boys up! Ugh – I so miss actually sleeping through the night.
First day where it hasn’t dawned sunny and hot. Looks like it may threaten rain any second. Not really a ‘beach day’ and so the boys sat and watched video’s most of the morning, and spent some time in the hammock with Grandma

while I finally had a chance to read “Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince”
Not MY copy (which I’m still waiting for) but my Father in laws copy.
Finished it today – Won’t spoil it for anyone. ☺
Matthew managed to empty baby powder all over my bedroom (grrrr) and he also swalled an Aleve that he snuck out of the bathroom.
Ended up talking to Poison Control today, who assured me that 1 pill likely wouldn’t do anything except make him possibly nauseated and lethargic.
Neither of those happened (I was kind of looking forward to the lethargic part) but he never slowed down today for a minute.
Brought out the sparklers for the boys tonight – so let them stay up past their bedtime until it was dark. They LOVED sparklers, even though Matthew wasn’t keen to hold one until it was halfway burned down, and by then, when I tried to get a picture, it snapped just as the sparkle fizzled out. Still, they had a ball. And are now safely tucked away in bed. Hopefully sleeping. Maybe to sleep all night.
We are having a terrific storm tonight, lots of lighting. Hydro went off once which freaked the kids out, so we had to settle them all back in again – even though the lights were out only about 2 seconds before coming back on.
Tomorrow is Friday – I’m looking forward to Friday. Friday is my spa day.
My birthday present from Judy is a half day at the spa! Woohoo! I’m so excited. I’m getting a manicure (even though my nails are kinda short) and a pedicure and a facial. I’m totally getting spoiled. I will worry about the kids though. I can handle all 3 of them alone, because I’m used to it. Chris on the other hand isn’t, and it’s much harder to deal with them up here than it is at home where there are fences and a plethora of toys and things they don’t have to worry about breaking or spilling juice or whatever.
Friday, August 5, 2005
Now this was MY day!
As a birthday present, Judy got me a half day at the spa! So, since Chris had gotten his work done - I left him in charge of the boys while Judy and I went to lunch in Bayfield, and then to the spa for a manicure, pedicure and a facial. Even got my eyebrows waxed - first time ever. It didn't hurt as much as I thought it would, and my eyes look spectacular now! Who knew that my bushy eyebrows were dragging my face down LOL.
All I can say is WOW!!!
Spas are awesome. They pamper you. I liked it. Maybe a little too much. I may have found a new addiction.
Not too much to write for today since I spent the whole time RELAXING, while other people attended to my every whim.
Yes, it's very nice, and no, I didn't think of the kids at all!
After our spa, we drove back to the cottage, and had dinner - which was already precooked and just needed heating up.
Pork chops and scalloped potatoes, with various salads, and the BEST PIE I'VE EVER HAD IN MY LIFE!!
Found out where Judy got the pie from.
Bought 6 pies on the way home......
Saturday August 6, 2005
Our last full day, and the first one we could spend together as a family.
Took the kids into Exeter for Lunch, and to Zurich to find the awesome pie place, and to Grand Bend to buy lollipops, and back to St Josephs, to check out a few shops - Checked out a Mennonite furniture store - WOW can they make nice furniture!
Saturday afternoon, Chris was so tired, so he watched the kids at the cottage, while I headed down to the beach - alone - for a relaxing little dip, and a nice sit in the sun. The neighbours had sent up a large tent, and there was a wedding taking place overlooking the beach, so I played voyeur from the water, and had a lovely time.
Saturday evening, packed up most of the stuff, and took the kids for a walk down the street to snoop at what was going on under the wedding tent. Lots of food and drink - and of course, nobody offered me an appetizer or a cocktail, so we headed on home. Hard to crash a wedding with 3 small kids while you are dressed in a bathing suit and a pair of shorts, sand in your hair and all, despite the fact that I had manicured nails and toes, and my eyebrows still looked fantastic.
Put the kids to bed, and worked on my blog (In word - transferred all of it today). Around 10pm the DJ from the wedding cranked up the music a notch - No biggie. Everyone else went to bed and I stayed up late watching CSI.
Around 1am the music was still pumping loud and strong, enough to rattle our windows 300 metres away....
1:15am - DJ cranks the music AGAIN. I'd had enough - it was our last night and I decided to play evil neighbour.
Out I stomped in my barefeet, ratty shorts and T-shirt boldly emblazoned with the FBI logo across the back in big yellow letters. I strode over to the tent, and walked right up to the DJ and asked him (politely) to please turn the music down.
Wanna know what Mr Bright light says? "I'm not in charge"
Hello? You are the DJ. I assume you are in charge of your fingers, and that little knob that is marked volume on your little DJ mixing board, so yes, you are in charge, and please turn it down.
At this point, DJ's little partner - a girl - leans over to me and says "Um, we are supposed to be playing until 2am"
"Thats fine" I reply "I'm not asking you to turn it off, I'm asking you to turn it down, as this is a residential area, with a B&B next door where people are PAYING to stay and relax and not have thier ears assaulted or their beds shaking at 1:30 in the morning. This is not a private venue, you are outside, under a tent - within close proximity to the neighbourhood around you, who I might add you didn't offer an appetizer or cocktail to, so since I am 3 doors down and I have 3 preschoolers who I would like to keep asleep, I am kindly requesting that you turn it down to a dull roar"
Now the bride herself came strolling along "Whats wrong" she says glaring at me.
I smiled beatifically at her and said "I know it's your wedding day, but the music is too loud, and I'd just like it turned down a little bit, so my family can sleep."
I walked back to the cottage (which is really a 3500sq ft house in a ritzy neighbourhood in case you hadn't figured out) and heard the music drop a level, although not as much as they could have. I guess Mr. DJ does have ownership of his volume control after all.
Finally drifted to sleep around 2am
Sunday August 7, 2005
5:00am - Duncan came and crawled into our bed.
8:30am - I got up for the day. Packed all the remaining stuff, said our goodbyes, and finally got away at 10:30am - to avoid the rush of traffic for cottagers heading home.
Of course we had to stop and buy more pie on the way home - as well as dinner for tonight (frozen) and some tarts and cookies because they looked good.
Stopped again in Stratford (1/2way point) for lunch
Stopped again about every 20 minutes for the next hour for 1 (or both) of the kids to pee.
Stopped again in Burlington, to pick up a portable air conditioner from a friends house.
Stopped again on the highway, because after all our stopping, we DID end up in rush hour traffic.
Stopped finally in our driveway. A 2.5hr trip took 6 hours with stops and pee breaks.
4:30pm - dragged my tired kids inside.
I should mention that Joey didn't nap at all in the van, and in fact pretty much screamed bloody murder for the last hour and the moment we got home, I got him out of his seat and put him in the house and he lay down on the couch, quiet as a mouse. Poor little guy just wanted to Lay down to sleep.....
It is now 11:22pm. The boys all had baths and were in bed at 8:30, although the older two are still awake 3 hrs later.
Our vacation is officially over.
Stressfull? yes,
Tiring?, OH YES,
did we have fun? Yes
Are we glad to be home? Yes
I need to rest up before our next vacation next month!

14 comments:
HOORAH! you're home...and in one piece, with as many people and minds as you left with! I wish wish wish you had been in MY Exeter which is a mere 14 miles away, or even MY London which is a 4 hour trip away but worth it if it meant we would have been able to visit, oh well, we can but dream! WELCOME HOME! Ahh gates, fences, toys...heaven.
I think I need a vacation before your next vacation after reading that! LOL
No really, it sounds like a great time was had by most :)
We went camping in that area a couple years ago, and Loved it!!
It's really great to have you back.
~Lisa~
i honestly cringe everytime i read something from you. you're kids are nightmares and it's people like you who give parents with more than one child a bad name. spank their ass and get some help. those kids are going to end up in jail if you don't put your foot down. i have several kids and have never,ever had any of them swing from indoor fixtures,break vcr's and cause such destruction. shame on you for your lack of parenting skills.
YAY!!!!!! You're Home You're Home You're Home!!!!
So glad you had a great trip!!!
Hugs Hugs Hugs Hugs Hugs!!!!
Julie.
P.S. Ignore the chicken-shit pus bag who thinks they actually have two clues about how to raise intelligent curious and caring children.... I KNOW YOU'RE A GREAT MOM AND I ONLY HOPE TO BE AS WONDERFUL AS YOU ARE ... (sorry Chloe's got the caps)
HUGS
Dear Anonymous.
I am sorry you cringe - don't bother reading my stuff then. I obviously highlight the naughty things my kids do, but they are very sweet at times too. They are naturally curious little boys, who end up breaking stuff sometimes too. I'm a good parent, and I do not give "Permission" for them to do this as you may imply - I do punish them, and I do not lack parenting skills. I want my kids to respect me, not to fear me.
As you have never met me or my kids in person you obviously have no idea of what my parenting skills really are. I have taken them all over to friends houses and they've been very well behaved - but how interesting is that to write about - Oh yes, the boys were lovely today, nothing went wrong and they played ate and slept. BORING. The mischief they get into is rarely malicious - I do not worry about them, they will grow into marvellous intelligent men.
I am leaving your comments up - I could easily delete them, but I find it amusing that you get so bent out of shape by a perfect stranger. You are the one that needs help my friend - and a spelling/grammar lesson wouldn't hurt either.
So happy to have you back Jenn. :) I do hope it was at least a different setting and a little relaxing. Taking kids on vacation is very stressful.
One time my Mom's neighbor borrowed us their camper. My kids broke a window crank and something else. I felt so bad! But, we had a great time! :)
Julie
oh anon....are your children grown and upstanding citizens? If not I suspect and pray that those words are as bitter when you eat them as they sound right here. If they are grown, good for you but I'll wager you have a huge case of selective memory and are one of those parents who every other parent loathes. " oooh not MY child, mine never do anything wrong" Yeah right, they're just the sneaky sort who learn fast to cover it up and grow up to resent every moment of their miserable and dictated childhood.
Have you ever seen a picture of thes children where they aren't smiling? Any pictures or stories of Jenn losing it and spanking their asses? NOPE they are happy, normal, inquisitive, smart and loved beyond question..and Jenn is fabulous and brave and not afraid to put her face or her name to her words. Scuttle off and hide under a stone.
Some people have nothing better to do than grumble and complain or write nasty letters. I guess some people are just jealous because they don't have beautiful adorable kids like Jenn. You are a wonderful Mom, Jenn. I've seen you in action.
Keep your wonderful blogs coming. I enjoy every antic.
Jenn,
Okay, I've said it more than enough times, but you're a fabulous mommy.
And to anon.
Up yours.
Hey Jen. (I'm just going to start calling you 'Hen' since that is what my fingers alway type!!LOL!!)
Your boys are wonderful. They are living life. I would rather see a child get in trouble than see a child stiffeled in their bedroom watching TV. Your boys are learning about the world! And that is a wonderful thing. You're a great mom and I can only hope to be close to what you are when Jon gets bigger ;-)
A
Just wanted to say...
Anyone who is raising children whose eyes are sparkling and happy in *every* picture I've ever seen--and looks happy and full of fun in the picture her son took with her own camera that he wouldn't give back!--is definitely doing something right.
Mean people suck.
Brooke
Jenn...
I just read your story and had to smile. Most vacations are never relaxing as we would envision them to be. You made me smile and ignore what "anonymous" wrote! You are a wonderful mother to wonderful boys!
Melissa
Abby 6/20/03
Logan Michael 3/23/01-8/2/02
Glad you are home again and in one piece.(lol) and just so you know I look forward to your updates on my nephews, the sweetest most beautiful little boys in the world. I am so glad you allow them to be boys and to explore and learn about their environment instead of raising them in a sterile world of "don't touch" and don't smile or do anything that some people would cringe at. I know you love your boys enough to discipline them because they are loving friendly boys who are not afraid to be themselves. They are sensitive to the needs of others and enjoy life to the fullest! You are to be congratulated little sister, you are a wonderful mommy, God knew what he was doing when he placed those boys in your care!
Jenn,
You are the type of mom that I truly aspire to be. Your gorgeous boys are who they are... fun, curious and always smiling (even if that smile is sometimes full of mischief)... because of you.
Anyone who says otherwise is jealous.
Sara and Maddie (always lurking around and enjoying your well written tales. :O)
Post a Comment