
I am well aware that with 3 boys, blood is likely going to happen - I just didn't expect it all this weekend.
I am also well aware that this is not the end of it, but rather the beginning.
There will be scars and broken bones, and childhood injuries that are just par for the course....
But C'mon - They are still young - the bloodletting shouldn't be starting already should it?
We've had the occasional bit lip, or scratch, but honestly, this weekend, I've seen more blood than John McLean at the Nakatomi tower for crying out loud.

It started a few days ago, when i was awoken in the middle of the night (ok 1:00am) by Duncan - age 4, coming into our room crying.
In my half asleep stupor - I carefully guided him back to bed, not noticing that he was dripping blood until I leaned in to kiss him goodnight, and realized that his face was covered in blood, as were both hands, the floor, and drips leading from his room to mine. Even our doorknob was covered in blood - He seriously looked like a mugging victim or gunshot wound.
Turns out it was a bloody nose - but who knew that you could actually get 30% of your blood volume to come out of your nose in roughly 2 minutes, just by picking it (I assume thats what caused it.)
Into the bathroom to clean him up, I think I used an entire roll of toilet paper, and the blood, still hasn't come out of the carpet entirely (it needs a good steamcleaning).
On to incident #2 - young Joseph learning to walk. It involves a lot of falling down, and of course, at one point, an impatient Matthew hurled himself into the wobbling baby, who fell on the kitchen tile floor - and bit his lip with his sharp pointy baby teeth (luckily he only has 4 on top....) Lots of screaming and comforting, and yes, blood on my shirt - but nothing that can't be fixed, and best of all - no chipped teeth like his big brother did around that age. We still occasionally refer to Matthew as "fang" due to his snaggletooth that he chipped at 18 months.
Sunday morning, Duncan came into my room again (early in the morning) reassuring Chris and I that he had "cleaned up all the blood".
Still half asleep, we simply thought he was recounting the events of the past few days - Kids tend to go on and on about stuff like that. It was only after we'd gotten up and were getting breakfast ready that I noticed a HUGE gash on Duncan's forehead!
"What is that? What happened to your head" I asked him
"It's fine, I cleaned up all the blood" was his response.
"But what did that? How did you cut your head" I insisted
"No, it's all gone, the cut is gone, I fixed it" Duncan reiterated.
This question and denial went on for a few minutes, and we never did find out what happened, although Chris did find another bloody roll of toilet paper in the bathroom from his "clean-up"
I will pause for a minute here to say that Duncan is his mother's son - I now realize how difficult a time my mother had when trying to extract information from me, which was near impossible. I am tightlipped by nature, and it seems that what goes around comes around, as my oldest son has inherited this ability to drive parents mental by withholding information.
Monday morning, and quite frankly, I will be happy not to see blood for a very long time.
This morning though, it was Matthew who went down to the basement, smashed an old beer bottle into a million pieces and then walked on it.
He told me he stubbed his toe, but as he was making little blood smooshes everywhere he stepped, I saw that he'd cut the bottom of his foot 3 times on the glass.
Wash his foot, Make him sit down, Hold paper towel on it to stop the bleeding, and finally a bandaid and we are done with the bloodletting for a while (i hope).
Perhaps it's safer to let them play outside today....2 more weeks and they'll both be starting school!

8 comments:
You are right Jenn, no more blood. At least for a while. ;) We've had more broken bones than blood here. I think I'd rather see blood.
Maybe if you bring it up another time with Duncan, he will tell you what happened. Like while you are quietly eating lunch or something. I'd be curious anyway. :)
Julie
I am so glad, too, that no one is seriously hurt!
Those little hard nuts! Amazing how they can bleed so much and not seem to care isn't it? Apart from Seth who screams like a banshee at the sight of a scratch! Hope you get a bloodless week!
Goodness perhaps we should have a couple bags of blood standing by at the local ER...just kidding. Boys are so much fun and such rough and tough little things. My nephew is five and has broken his arm twice, his foot once and had stitches 3 times...this last time they called in CPS for a consult. They all agreed that some boys are just fearless and accident prone...now being fearless may be a good thing!
Jennifer
Jenn
Just read through all the stuff on your BLOG - Wow - you should submit some stuff to magazines or newspapers - really funny and well written...
JMSWMBO
Goodness gracious! What a weekend!
I am soooooooo not looking forward to that stuff. Like Jen ~ paridisemommy ~ said, some boys are just fearless and I have one of those. Jon will dive head first off the couch because it seemed like a fun thing to do!!LOL!! Thank God there has always been someone sitting with him when he tries that.
A (APRILSHANE)
I just have to say that your profile picture is the best one I have ever seen!! I LOVE IT!
Love the picture - where ever did you find that hairdresser??
JMSWMBO
Post a Comment