Can today just be over. Can we just fast forward and start off again tomorrow? or maybe in a few days - I need a few days off.
It all started out with a storm. Friday night I think it was....We had the most terrific storm. We needed rain, and we certainly got a tonne of it. So much so that my parents basement flooded - for the first time ever since 1964.
Consequently, their basement carpet is a squishy soppy spongey mess of fibers and water. So, I lent them my steam cleaner - because after all, it does suck up water, along with a ton of other junk, but it would be useful to get the bulk of the water out of their basement carpet before they removed it. I figured I could live without the steam cleaner for a few days - We'd been having pretty good luck with the boys being more careful, not spilling stuff, and truthfully, we hadnt needed it in at least 1 or 2 weeks.
Figures, as soon as you lend something out - thats when you want it - or need it as it turns out. Steam cleaner was picked up yesterday afternoon, and since my hubby was out for the evening, I rented a movie on PPV that I'd been wanting to see, and it didn't end until 1am. About 2:00am, Duncan was out of bed with a terrible nightmare. I picked him up to carry him back to bed and noticed he was hot. Thermometer confirmed a temperature of 101.2˚F (normal is 98.6) so I brought him downstairs to give him some Children's Advil to bring the fever down, and some juice. By 2:38am I had him back in bed and I crawled exhausted into my own bed finally for the night. 20 minutes later I could hear him downstairs, walking about - so I got out of bed, quite grumpy and annoyed by this time that he wouldn't just go back to sleep. He told me that he threw up - so off I go to check and sure enough, he had gone downstairs to throw up, and not in the kitchen where it's tiled and relatively easy to clean up, but on the family room carpet - just 2 ft away from the tile.
I will admit, I lost my cool. Why couldn't he have done this on the tile? I hate vomit. Dirty diapers I can deal with, but Vomit is my enemy. I detest vomit, I hate throwing up, and other people's vomit makes ME want to vomit. The smell was overwhelming, not to mention that he'd also thrown up all the purple grape juice I'd given him an hour earlier. Grape juice stains. Stinky pukey grape juice is just plain disgusting. At 3:00am when you haven't gotten a chance to go to sleep yet, it's just not a good situation. I set up my 4 yr old on the couch with some towels (thank goodness for leather wipe off furniture).
I felt bad for chiding him on his choice of places to puke - Like he had any choice in the matter. He's 4. He's sick. he's scared, and tired, and all he wants is mummy to make it all better. I wiped up what I could off the carpet, and got out our little handheld Dirt Devil Spot Scrubber, which I have to tell you is a piece of crap and a waste of 80$, so don't even bother with it, not to mention that it's loud enough to wake the dead, but not sleeping husbands. It managed to soak everything around the stain, including me, so I had to go upstairs and change, and wake up my husband so he could keep an ear out as I headed off to the 24 hr supermarket to pick up some gingerale.
Room temperature gingerale - It's a miracle. Duncan had 1/2 a glass and decided that his tummy was still feeling "yucky" but it was calm enough to go back to bed.
I fell into bed around 4:30am - finally. the smell of vomit still lingering in my nostrils.
This morning Duncan got up at 7:30 and crawled into our bed - the other kids bless their hearts managed to stay in bed until 8:30 which is when I called my mom, begging for the return of my steamcleaner....
Left at 9:00am with 2 kids, while sick boy lingered in my bed. Picked up the steamcleaner and got back home by 10.
Wonderful hubby emptied the dishwasher, and sick kid, is no longer sick but feeling like a slightly warm ball of energy; while I am feeling like - well, you can imagine.
At least the big steamcleaner got the stain out pretty well. Lesson learned - don't ever say "we can do without it for a few days"....obviously we can't.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

6 comments:
Hey Jenn,
I feel your family's pain. Our basement flooded 4X this past spring. Yesterday DH & I just finished steam cleaning our area rug which was gross and both vehicles. Luckily we are all healthy again but it has taken 4 wks to get some energy back. Anyhow, email me sometime & say hi!
Shauna (aka Murgatr)
dd 11/22/98
dd 6/27/02
Poor Jenn.. Poor Poor Poor Jenn :(
I'm so so sorry you had to deal with that and on no sleep to boot! Ohh poor poor Jenn :(
Hugs Hugs Hugs
Julie (who also loves her Bisell ProSteam and will only lend it out as far as the neigbours)
I agree Jenn, nothing is worse to clean up! So sorry you had a long night with Duncan. By the way, I've done it too! It is hard to remember when you are tired and the mess is that yucky to be nice to your sick child. :) He might remember next time, which hopefully isn't too soon!
I hope you all sleep well tonight.
Julie
oh no...puke! I hate puke too, can you believe that somehow my kids all know about me an dpuke and ( touch wood) they all always puke in a bowl or the loo! I'm not kidding, puke makes me cry like a prissy girlie! Grpa ejuice makes me weep when it's in a carton, 2nd hand and stinking of puke would have me running away screaming! I hope tomorrow is better for you.
Well I'm glad to hear Ducan is feeling better.
And I don't think I know anyone who doesn't hate to clean up puke! Glad the stain is mostly gone too.
BTW, what movie did you watch and did you like it ;-)
A (APRILSHANE)
April - I watched "Hostage" - a Bruce Willis flick. It was great - kept me glued to the TV and on the edge of my seat the whole time.
-j.
Post a Comment