Sunday, December 28, 2008

It's day 9 - isn't it? I think It is. Yes, It's day 9

I think.

All the days run together when there's no 7 hours of school to occupy them....

We are surviving though - yes we are. There has been no world war 3 in the house, and believe it or not, Duncan is acting SO much better AFTER Christmas.
He was so rotten in the weeks leading up to Christmas that I debated even giving him some of the stuff I had tucked away - he was almost daring Santa to put him on the naughty list - so I don't know if it was some sort of secret experiment in his head or what, but ever since Christmas he's been calmer, and more cooperative and less prone to outbursts (although we still have plenty of those).
Matthew has continued on his lovely streak - He is a joy. I absolutely love age 6 - it is the best of all ages ever - eager to please and no talking back. Duncan went through a real beautiful stage at 6 as well - so I'm convinced that 6 is just a great age, and 7 (almost 8) is the beginning of the pre-teen era. (heaven help us all). 6 is still so childlike and innocent and well, I'm afraid that kids are just getting to be too wise these days.
Duncan will be 8 in April.
He has already asked about sex - and not just the word, but the actual mechanics and intimate bits. He has read mostly on his own and knows just exactly how babies are made, but there is just one little gap in his knowledge now that I must bridge. It is intimate in nature, and relationships are his weakest area of understanding, so I am holding out for as long as I can, although I would rather him hear from me about human sexuality than from the schoolyard. Honestly, isn't grade 2 too young to be talking about this?

So yes, this is day 9.
Chris has taken the boys to McDonalds for lunch so I can clean up a bit in peace, shower in peace, get dressed in peace and here I sit in my stinkin' (but new) jammies blogging. In peace. It's lovely.
I don't have but a few hours though - so I should make the most of it.
Before I know it they'll be back and eager to be entertained.....which means they will want friends over.
We are officially halfway through the Christmas vacation holiday - which means that next week at this time I will be gathering backpacks and lunchboxes and preparing to send them back to school - Oh joy. I am giddy at the thought.

Chris has taken the week off. It means as a contract worker that he doesn't get paid, but it's crucial for our family to have this time together - so we'll look at it as an investment in us. We've been so blessed this year.
I think we'll have a few days this week that we can occupy them with family stuff and well, we'll make a few playdates that don't last all day. Have a few fun family evenings and before we know it, it will be 2009!

May it be a wonderful year for us all.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Duncan and my kids would've teamed up well. They are much more behaved then they were a few days before Christmas. They still have moments I'd like to string them by their toes but...I digress :).

Hope that you got some GOOD time to yourself and that the McDonalds was delicious for the boys :).

Hugs. (May I say I love your frequent blogs :))

Cathy said...

6 can't come fast enough for my Matthew!
Hope you enjoy your time with your family and before you know it, back to school and work they all go!

Julie Julie Bo Boolie said...

I'm honoured to be one of your playdates :)

rachel said...

I love it when you ramble! ;) So glad Duncan is acting better -- wish I could say the same for Peter. Hope you enjoy your New Year's celebration!

Anonymous said...

I cAn hardly wait until Mikaylah is six, her whining is making me whine!!! Glad your christmases were grand!