Tuesday, December 23, 2008

CVA - Day 3

Yep - I was so busy I forgot to blog yesterday - so today will be day 3......and later on day 4 of our Christmas Vacation Adventures.

The day started off well enough - we had so much snow after Snowmageddon that I was ready to pitch my own little temper tantrum if I saw another flake falling - but luckily it remained sunny (but cold) all day.

Yesterday I got smart. I put a sign on the door saying "Sorry, we are not having friends over today".
It worked so well I'm thinking of making it a permanent sign on my front door. No doorbells ringing, no neighbour kids asking to come over, and the boys themselves didn't miss anything - they played happily with each other for the entire morning and didn't even bother to put clothes on - after all - isn't that part of the fun of Christmas Vacation? Lounging around in pajamas all day?

I had a photo session in the afternoon that I had to travel to - so I called my trust babysitter ( Grandma!!) to see if she could watch the kids last minute. I am most fortunate that my parents are so agreeable and love my kids as much as I do.

My day was spent yesterday folding laundry and cleaning up the mess that this house has become since school let out, and after I left for my photo session, I didn't get home until nearly 6pm, so I don't have much to blog about on the kid front. They are not providing blog fodder - How dare they be all good and delightful - I mean you'd think it was Christmas and they were angling to get on Santa's good side....

So last night I was laying in bed and thinking about how I didn't blog and I started composing one in my head that was of course hilarious and this morning I remember not a single bit of it.
I was laying on my trueform pillow - which is taking a bit more time to get used to than I thought. I love the trueform bed - but the pillow is.....different. I'm extremely picky about pillows because I like to sleep in a variety of positions and pillows as you know are not all created equal. If you sleep on your side - the pillow has to be softer and fuller than if you sleep on your back, and if you're a tummy sleeper - you want a pillow that is almost not there at all. The trueform pillow is made of memory foam. If you're not familiar with memory form, let me just say that at first it is hard. until you sink into it and it molds to your shape - which is delightful. But - I have a little head that apparently doesn't weigh the average 8 lbs, so it doesn't sink down far enough into the pillow,it rests on top of my pillow and it's like sleeping on a rock - covered with a blanket.
But - if I turn over on my side - somehow the weight distribution zooms upwards and my head sinks into pillow and it's wonderfully comfortable. So I need 3 pillows handy depending on what position I feel like sleeping in at any given time. Have you ever met anyone so pillow picky? This is the kind of stuff that keeps me up at night.
Also I had a dream
That my Aunt Dorrene won 14 million dollars.
It was odd.



Today is day 4.
Somebody brought my sign inside and the doorbell rang 10 minutes ago. (sigh).
It's going to be a long day.
Tomorrow is Christmas eve day - but will be Christmas at the inlaws!
Then our Christmas day on the 25th, and to my parents in the afternoon for ANOTHER Christmas.
Then boxing day - which is, you guessed it - Another Christmas at the other inlaws.
But it will be 3 days of neighbour free fun and festivities, food and presents and laughter and watching my kids and nieces and nephews enjoy it all and hopefully fall into an all maxed out Christmas coma! (You think I can make that last for 10 days?) :)
I know I sound like such a Grinch when it comes to the neighbours - and they are actually very nice (at least the parents are) and the kids are not even too bad (anymore). - I just wish they would learn the skill of independent play. Sometimes it's nice just to have MY kids in MY house on a cold winter day, stay in our jammies, and watch movies and bake cookies and not have to think about anybody else.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am glad that your children are being so behaved. Thats good stuff (totally jealous).

Your pillow conversation is a good one. I am not as picky with pillows. I do need a height that is proper for my head. Too thin a pillow isn't good and I also don't want a fat one that makes it feel like I am sleeping up.

The other me said...

I am on a lifelong quest to find the perfect pillow, H has one of those memory foam jobs and I get neckache even looking at it. I need, firm and comfy but not rock hard..I am fiercely protective of my pillows, nobsy can use them, not ever!

Anonymous said...

I can totally relate to being pillow picky!! I canNOT sleep without my own (2) pillows. Okay, that's a lie, because I have slept in numerous hotel/motel beds, and I've stayed at other people's houses (including yours!) and used other pillows ... but I don't sleep very WELL without my pillows.

Great idea to put a sign on the front door! I understand totally that you get a bit tired of having other people's kids around. Your 3 are so gorgeous, no wonder you just want to hang with them on their own sometimes!

Anonymous said...

I too am picky about my pillows. I sleep in all positions possible and have 4 pillows to give maximum comfort.

odat_kim said...

I sleep with 2 pillows. A fluffy feather one for the head, a thinner fluffy one for hugging, I use it to prop me up a bit to one side when I sleep on my stomach.

Hubby steals my huggie pillow sometimes and it upsets me when he does so.
Kim

Julie Q said...

I too am picky about my pillow. I love my down filled pillow. I can scrunch it up if I want it more firm and I can flatten it out when I want it, well, flatter. :)

And I agree on the pjs during break! :)