I'm happy to report that I was wrong - and though it wasn't the dewy 50's version of little angels gathered around a gingerbread house to decorate with laughter and soft warm fuzzy made for TV magic - it was nonetheless, much smoother than I had anticipated.
The boys were pretty good.
Here's some pictures
Starting out:

Duncan being *so* careful with the icing pack

It's not the prettiest creation - but it's beautiful to me - because my boys made it - without fighting.

The finished product - We dusted it with icing sugar. You can see it got all over the table too - they ran their fingers through it and licked my table - nice.

Of course Joey had a bit of a meltdown when he realized we weren't going to eat it today. He kept pulling me into the kitchen (I had put it up on the counter) and just standing there staring at it.
As soon as I'd say "yes it's very pretty - we'll eat it tomorrow" and tried to walk away - he was right there pushing me back.
Didn't say a word - regressed to his old tactics of pulling and pushing and playing the "read my mind" game. He flew into a rage when I made him stop trying to climb up on the counter.
Sigh.
Still - it was a fun way to kill an afternoon. 16 days left - and some of those are exciting present opening days!!
Tomorrow: How to destroy a gingerbread house. Definitely will take pics of that!

9 comments:
Oh it's gorgeous! I never thought about the icing sugar! how pretty!!!
Oops that deleted is me.. I hit enter twice sorry.
MMMMMMMMMM, table licking, delicious. Your boys look gloriously calm and concentrating. Wonderful picture.
I keep looking at those kits and then walking away because I don't think I am at all, anywhere near patient enough to let my boys try it....but then I read that yours didn't poke eyes out or smash the house into a gazillion pieces and wonder if maybe, just maybe...nope, pretty sure mine would not look like that first picture of yours!
I think that is a wonderful house! And very pretty! You know, pretty is in the eye of the beholder.
I started making gingerbread houses with the kids quite a few years ago and while we never will be making artistic masterpieces, the kids usually enjoy it immensely. It has become a new tradition. :))))
Beautiful! Well done boys!
I think it's gorgeous!! Your photos are wonderful too. Real "eye candy" to go with the real candy.
Oh wow, it really is very beautiful! I'm so glad to hear that the experience was such a positive one ... you have given me hope that I could even attempt this with my boys!!!
Way to go Jenn and boys! It looks great!
LYM
It looks wonderful! :) I've been tempted, but never have tried it! Maybe next year we will!
I like how the powdered sugar looks on the rooftop. :)
Post a Comment