(yawn)
Yep - we were up ringing in the new year and watching The Dark Knight on Blu ray (man it looks good).
Let the boys stay up until midnight....all 3 of them were up past midnight. We opted not to give them their usual 'special' drinks (i.e. medicated with sleeping potion!) and instead I conducted an experiment called
"Do nothing - and see how long they really last"
Here's the verdict:
Joey (age 4) - Likes to stay up late - had no problem staying up until 12:30 and then fell asleep pretty fast once we made him stay in bed.
Duncan (Age 7) - The only one to watch the big ball drop live on TV in New York's Times Square - After the big event - he went down to the basement to play Wii, but was content to curl up in a big white blanket on a beanbag and watch Matthew play instead.
Matthew (age 6) - Not interested in TV - but thrilled to be allowed to keep playing Wii at all hours of the night. While Duncan fell asleep in the basement, Matthew was still going strong at 2:30am, when we sent him to bed. He protested and said "Just after I finish this game" (Super Mario Galaxy has been a big hit!)
In fact he asked to take a movie to watch in bed on his portable player - and we said "Uh, no - it's now 3am and WE are tired"
The kids all slept in - but not long enough. I got up around 10am and all 3 boys beat me up.....or should I say down - as all 3 of them were down having Super Mario adventures.
Tonight they are going to bed at 7:30.
And I will go to bed at 7:32
I'm looking forward to a playdate we have tomorrow and then we're just a weekend away from back to school
The tree is coming down this weekend - and hopefully all the outside lights (if it's not too cold) and maybe - just maybe I'll have time next week to put my house back in order, we'll get back to the regular chaos and not the super nutzo crazy house we've had for the last 10 days. I long for a day when I can say to myself "Oh, no blog today - kids went to school, came home played nicely had dinner and went to bed on time - who wants to read that?"
But don't worry - that never EVER happens. It doesn't. Trust me. If I don't blog it's not because everything is lovely and calm and I'm making a healthy nutritious dinner with all 4 food groups that my children will eat willingly and without complaint and even ask for seconds of the veg - Oh no - that's a pipe dream - and when I say pipe, I mean a wacky tobaccy pipe cause I'd have to be high to think that would ever happen here. I don't cook.
my lack of blogging is primarily due to my own brain forgetting all the blog fodder that has JUST happened, even though at the time I say "Oh gotta remember THAT for my blog" - pity for you my readers that I don't have one of those dictation things because stuff happens all the time. I am just too lazy to sit down and type it all into readable form. I rather like to just have a chuckle here and there and think how funny my kids are and what a shame that the rest of the world doesn't see all the behind the scenes stuff (or maybe a blessing) because it really is something else.
Oh gotta go - it's bedtime!!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

4 comments:
3:00 am?! Wow! I was fighting to keep my eyes open till 11:59 and that with 2 naps in during the day!
Happy New Year my dear friend.
Note to self, get Jenn a dictation device.
And a Happy New Year to you too, my friend! I am ashamed that all 3 of your boys stayed up later than we did.
Happy New year!
AT 10.30pm I told them that I was a big mean liar and that they had to go to bed after all ..I reached a pitch where if I didn't just sit on my own I was going to spontaeneously combust...Seth stayed awake for THIRTY SIX HOURS! He went to London on the midnight bus, stayed awake the whole time, spent the day in the science museum, ( and did nod off for 30 mins in the Imax theatre place) then stayed awake all the way home and fell asleep at 10.30pm. How do they do it??
I gave the Z the choice of staying up, he chose to go to bed! Yay me! :)
I am looking forward to Monday as well.
Post a Comment