Hate January.
It's snowy and cold and followed by February.
Luckily it's nearly half over, but that is little consolation when it's cold and windy NOW.
Duncan has been itching to ride his new bike - which means he's been riding it inside the house in a desperate attempt to try it out. It's too big for the house - in fact it's really too big for him, but he's ok with riding bikes that are too big for him once he actually gets on them and gets some speed and momentum going (difficult to do in my living room!).
Last year, he managed to get on a neighbour's 12 speed bike - which is essentially an adult bike, by standing on the curb while the bike was on the road, effectively making himself a foot taller. His legs could barely reach the pedals but he managed to get that thing going and to ride around the block with it - so I have no doubt he'll be able to ride this 20" bike - as long as it's outside.

But outside is 4 feet of snow.
And current temp is -12 which is something we should be used to and not as bad as the -21 that is coming later next week but it's still cold, and frustrating to bundle up 3 kids in 14 layers everyday to go to school. So much easier when they can just slip shoes on and run out the door.
So yes we have the blahs.
Too cold to play outside for more than 10 minutes.
It gets dark at 5:30 so there is no after dinner playing outside like there is in the summertime.
Inside means that they are playing video games and other sedentary activities which means that when bedtime rolls around - they aren't tired. consequently we've been playing the "3 hours to put them to bed" game - leaving little free time for me, and that makes for a grumpy mum.
One benefit of January blahs is that retail gets it too.
Things go on sale - Good for us since we have another birthday party this month to go to!
And mamma needs a new pair of shoes.
Really, I'm just doing my duty in shopping - contributing to the economy right?
I made no new years resolutions - even though I sort of resolved to eat better and lose the baby weight (and the friday night chips and pizza weight, but let's just blame the kids ok?). I have been cutting out a lot of things from our grocery runs - far less packaged foods, and canned soups, and more fruits and veggies, and it's been making a difference. Even in 5 days I've noticed a difference. Official weigh in is on Monday. Chris and I are having a competition to see who can lose the most by June 1st (that's shorts and T's weather). We're doing the percentage loss, like The Biggest Loser. I'm so going to win.
Winner gets something big - even though we haven't decided what it's going to be yet - but it's going to be something big.
So I'm going to win.
In the meantime, I'll have another glass of water and pass the salad please.....
Usually a cure for the January Blahs would be chocolate. Lots and lots of chocolate.
Salad doesn't seem to cure them very well.
The thought of buying new shorts in a much smaller size however, is pretty good motivation - I'll pay for them out of the money I'm not spending at Tim Hortons for the next 5 months.

2 comments:
I am trying SO hard not to let the winter blues eat me alive but I am fighting a losing battle...BLAH!
I am with you on slogging through it hoping that by the time summer arrives I shall be proud and comfy rather than hot and grumpy!
I am so glad we don't have the cold you guys are having, I am a sissy!
I'm actually doing really well against the blues this year so far. I think part of it is that I did SO much running around in December that I'm perfectly happy to stay home for the whole month of January. Course check in with me again in Feb and you might hear a different tune!
Anytime you feel the need to escape for a bit let me know :)
Post a Comment