Sunday, January 25, 2009

Is it spring yet?

Just wondering....cause I'm so not in a blogging mood when I have to huddle in front of the fireplace with a blanket around me, and a cup of hot chocolate just to keep icicles from forming on my nose....

It's been cold - COLD. I know it's Canada, and January - Usually that's a combination that goes hand in hand with cold - but the mind numbing unbearable coldness was more reminiscent of Alaska, or Northern Saskatchewan.
Too cold to do anything outside.
So cold in fact that I was getting panicky as 3pm approached, knowing I'd have to stand in that blistering cold, until my kids got their snowpants on and deigned to come out the door. Duncan especially is such a slowpoke, that it feels like he is competing to be the last one out of the school on most days. That means a good 15 minute wait in those sub-zero temps - enough to turn me into a momsicle. A grouchy momsicle.

Because it's been too cold to send the kids outside to play - and the thought of having even more kids (i.e. the neighbour kids) yelling and screaming and messing up my house gives me hives, we've enrolled the older boys in Tae Kwon Do. It's open 6 days a week - and provides after school activity for them, as well as encouraging discipline and listening skills. By the time it's over, it's 6pm - come home, have dinner - oh too late to play with friends - get into jammies and oh look, it's bedtime already.

I am ready for spring. I know it's a long way off - at least another 6-8 weeks minimum. Really I'm just ready to not have to blog with gloves on......

6 comments:

Cathy said...

Oh, you should get a Snuggie blanket cause you can type, talk on the phone and even hold your newborn, while staying warm! ;)

Julie Q said...

It is cold! And I'm in Michigan, not Canada. And we are getting more snow. :(

Stay warm! :)

Angela said...

I had to LOL at grouchie momsicle and oh, too late to play with friends! ;)

I don't know how you cold-weather gals do it. It finally got warm enough today for me to go on a walk outside. I think it was 58. I don't go out any colder than about 50.

The other me said...

I am too bored to blog, miserable dreary wet weather, I can't imagine being SOOOOOOOOO cold as well. Oh how we need some sunshine.

Leah said...

I wish I could hibernate until spring.
It was about 30* F here today and it was heavenly! How sad is that!?!

Anonymous said...

I couldn't agree MORE! SUN COME OUT WE NEED YOU!