Ikea is Swedish for "WAY too many people shopping here, getting in the way of your cart".
I can't say that I'm a huge fan of their furniture - kind of too minimalist futuristic space alien for me - but I've fallen in love with all the accessories, and specifically the Ikea Kids section. All the boxes and bins and cool stuff for kids rooms - why, I feel like I'm in decorator Heaven!
Yes, it's that time - time to redorate kids rooms, or in our case, actually get around to doing something other than plain builders white.
We've been in this house for 2.5 years, and have yet to do anything to the 3 bathrooms or the kids bedrooms.
I see pictures of friends who have decorated their nurseries and think oh what lucky babies they are, to have painted rooms and plenty of eyecatching brain enhancing mobiles and cutesy shelves and matching bedding etc etc etc. Then I put Joey to bed in his plain brown crib, and white walls and mismatched bedding that has been handed down from big brothers and feel sad that I didn't do more to herald his arrival. Nevermind, he's 2 now, and doesn't seem any worse for wear for not having that immaculate room just 'so' and the other boys are old enough now to express what they want in their rooms, so I basically have a blank template to start from, and no pastel baby paint or 'diaper pins and blocks' motifs to cover up.
A blank template - Aside from the Bright Nemo comforters that the older boys have. They love Nemo - but are starting to outgrow the wanting everything Nemo Phase. Now it's Buzz Lightyear and The Incredibles.
So we are doing a Buzz Lightyear room for Matthew, and a Dash Incredible room for Duncan and Joey - well he's stuck with plain white until he expresses an interest in something other than bananas, and throwing shoes into the toilets.
Knowing that their current obsession de jour will last only until the next Pixar mass marketing movie tie-in blitz - we are being extremely clever in our decorating so that it can be modified into something more mature - without having to completely overhaul the rooms. Generic bedspreads over character ones.
Which brings us to why I was at Ikea today, fighting the crowds of people who have no IKEAETIQUETTE at all.
So here are 'the rules' when shopping at IKEA - Please - for everyone concerned, obey them;
1. IKEA has a play area that you can register small kids for - it is safe and enclosed and they will have fun. DO NOT bring 3 or 4 small kids to IKEA showrooms. They do not enjoy looking at someone else's living room, or kitchen and not being able to touch anything. They make sure that you KNOW they do not enjoy it, by making it less enjoyable for anyone within a 30 ft radius of them. I left my kids at home with Daddy. This is good Ikeaetiquette.
2. Families of 14 going for a stroll taking up entire aisles in Ikea because it is airconditioned is just not cool. Go stroll in the mall.
That's it - Two simple rules.
It was incredibly busy today, and according to the girl at the checkout, she said it was "not bad". I knew exactly what I wanted - having written it all down after browsing their website, and it STILL took me an hour to locate what I wanted, and pick up my stuff from the IKEA maze. I of course did not have my IKEA map with me, and ended up hopelessly lost at one point, surrounded by all kinds of glassware with funky names like Splürgen, and Pelînken and Youbreakenityoubuyit.
Luckily EXIT in Swedish is the easily understood "Place your VISA card HERE" and I cleverly managed to maneuver my giant cart to the self serve area, picked up what I wanted and got through the checkout without losing too much of my sanity.
WILT: Always make note of the section you park your car in when you go to IKEA. You look foolish enough going up and down the rows of cars searching aimlessly for your own, frantically hitting your remote lock button hoping to hear your car "beep" at you.
WILT 2: Ikea sells Meatballs. It's not just about the furniture.....
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

13 comments:
We just finally got an Ikea here (it opened about 6 weeks ago). Imagine all the insanity of Ikea, and then multiply by 1,000. That is what the first Ikea in your state looks like.
I'm loving the organizational stuff too. I must admit, though. I was also pretty keen on most of their stuff, mainly because it was circa-1970 and handed down from well-meaning family members. ;]
Can't wait to see the newly decorated rooms!! Will I be sleeping with Buzz or Dash? Or do I get Nemo?
LOL Hannah - You'll get the Buzz Room - we're trying to get it done before you get here ;) Brand new bed is put together though (new mattress too - lucky you!)
I haven't been to the IKEA here yet. I will remember your rules Jen. I will leave Z at home with somebody! ;) I knew about the meatballs. When they opened the one in Michigan, they made a big deal about them. With Amanda going off to college soon, we might take a trip over and check it out!
My kids never had a nursery made up for them. And they too seem OK with it. :)
We got an Ikea about an hour away from here...we have yet to make our way there yet though. We did get a catalog in the mail the other day and are now inspired to go! Thanks for the rules! We'll be leaving the children with their grandparents!
I like Ikea too, the furniture is growing on me, but for the same price I can buy something that comes put together and it more stable. But I do love the organizing and some decor. I really want the 2 Billy bookcases I need for the office in dark brown :) I've asked mom for them for my borthday since hubby and I are trying to save money.
I confess that last year when we didn't have aircon yet we spent the day at Ikea just because it was cool.. well that and they'll bbsit Sarah for free for an hour and have $1.99 breakfasts!!!
Still love me???
Hugs
Julie
I came over all in a cold sweat at the very crowded idea of Ikea. i love the little bits but the furniture? My kids would trash it before it got put together, I would feel scared to sit on some of those chairs too. I love the kitchen accessories.
I've never even been to IKEA. Is that odd? But the shoes in the toilets... cracking up (only because they're not mine)!
I love IKEA. The only thing I don't love about it is the searching for a parking space and the inability to go in there and come back out without spending $200.00.
(Their cafeteria also makes wickedly good samosas!)
I've only seen Ikea furntiure never visited said store. Not sure yours is a ringing endorsement or not :)
JENN ... have you been getting my emails? I'm worried that I have your address wrong. Can you drop me an email so I can check it out? PLEASE?
I used to go to Ikea all the time when I lived in Germany. It sounds a lot like the one you have their. I liked the cool bins and stuff also, but not the furniture. I do know that in the US mainland they have some furniture that they seel that is cool, but in Germany it is all the space alien type you mentioned. I also have white walls, but we are in the military and that seems to be the only color the Army knows how to do besides green.
Post a Comment