I love my dad.
We've always had a tempestuous relationship - probably because we are so much alike.
Since I've grown up and moved out and had a family of my own though, my dad and I have developed a special relationship.
We joke around and make corny jokes and puns, and have the same goofy sense of humour. We find the world funny.
I credit my dad for my sense of humour - I get it from him. He's always encouraged it, and dare I say adds to it.
From an early age, dad read to us, and fostered in each of us a deep love of books and the joy of reading for pleasure.
I have fond memories of being a young child and dad reading us poems and short stories before bedtime - he made them so alive, they leaped from the page, and still today when I read certain things, my dad's voice echoes in my mind. Stories of going to St. Ives and poems about purple cows all remind me of him.
I see how he is with my kids, and my love for him grows stronger and deeper. How he takes the time to play Frisbee with them in the backyard - How does he have the energy to keep up with them when I can barely do it?
He takes them for walks around the block - just like he used to do with me and my siblings. Our famous walks. Oh how we just loved walking and seeing the neighbourhood.
My kids adore him. They call him "poppa" and know that when they visit, Poppa will have something interesting for them. He spends hours with my oldest son with little attribute blocks (If you don't know what those are, you can google it).
He introduced the boys to a Speak and Spell. I still remember when he brought that home for US as kids. To see him get down with the boys and try to foster that same joy of learning - it's obvious that he's a teacher - a good one - and always will be.
I have such a deep respect for him - more than he knows. He is a Godly man, who loves his family, and his family loves him.
And as of this writing, he has been taken to a hospital by ambulance with chest pains.
I'm not ready to think of my dad as anything but invincible. He is my dad. He's strong and healthy and never gets sick.
I am scared, I will admit it.
I worry for my mum, because she's scared too - but is trying to be strong for our sake.
It's ok mum - you don't have to be strong - you can cry and feel scared. Your kids are all adults - Let us be there for you.
I know we are all mortal.
I just don't like to think about it.
I'm not ready yet.
Get well soon dad.
I love you.
UPDATE: July 14th -Mum called to say that dad is fine - they are keeping him at the hospital to run some 'tests', but hopefully he will be home this weekend and back to his old silly self.
Thankyou everyone for remembering us in your thoughts and prayers!
UPDATE AGAIN: July 15th - They are keeping him in hospital over the weekend. Turns out that he had a small heart attack and they want to be sure that he doesn't have another (bigger) one. They may transfer him to Sunnybrook (another hospital that specializes in critical care/trauma)
Again, we ask you for your thoughts and prayers for a complete recovery.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

16 comments:
I hope your Dad is ok Jenn. I am saying a prayer now and will keep him in my thoughts.
He sounds like a wonderful man.
I'm so sorry Jenn. Whatever is going on, I hope that he pulls through well and is back to his old healthy self in no time. Sending healthy vibes and prayers your family's way.
Best wishes to your daddy. :-(
Jenn, my prayers are with you, your dad and your mum right now. I hope things improve and he is home and back to his usual routine really soon. (((HUGS)))
so glad he is OK....dads are just the business, lucky us who have ( or had)such good ones.
HOORAY! I'm so glad he's ok!
Hugs
Hugs
Hugs!
Julie
Oh Jenn! I have been in your place before, and it is not fun at all. I'm continuing to pray that your Dad's tests all come back clear.
Much love and Hugs!!!
~Lisa~
Keeping him in my thoughts and prayers Jenn. So sorry to hear about the heart attack. But glad to hear they discovered it happened before letting him go home.
Same happened to my George a couple years ago. If you need to chat feel free to call Jenn. Your Dad and your family have been in my thoughts all day. Hope everything is settling down.
HUGS!
~Lisa~
Hope your dad is feeling better soon, Jenn. Best wishes for a speedy recovery & a great story written by you (as always).
Shauna (murgatr)
dd 11/2/298
dd 6/27/02
This happened with my Dad last year (only they were bigger heart attacks).. If you need me for ANYTHING I will be there in a second.. ANYTHING
HUGS
Julie
I envy you that. You are truely blessed to have such wonderful parents...no wonder your such a kick ass mom!!!
My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.
Your dad rocks!
Thinking of you all, Jenn and praying for a speeding and total recovery for your Dad.
I'm so glad your dad is doing ok. My father is also a heart patient. It's very hard to see your parents start to get older and have heart problems. There are a lot of wonderful things they can do to fix him up! You and your family will be in my prayers!
So stunned I cried at first. We've been thinking of all of you all week, our prayers are with you. If you need anything, just holler. ANYTHING!
Kim & Andy
God Bless you, and I hope your dad is doing ok. At least they are keeping him to make sure. I will check for updates. I will also pray for you.
Post a Comment