Thursday, July 06, 2006

The evil evil ice cream man

Summertime - and what says summer more than BBQ's and ice cream trucks.

We have an evil ice cream man.

I am sure he does this on purpose, but he comes around on a semi-regular basis, twice a day - Once after my kids are in bed, and once about 5 minutes before dinnertime.
I am not kidding. He really does this - and to make matters worse, he plays his loud carnival music at 100 decibels louder than any rock concert I've been to (and I've had my share, child of the 80's that I am)

He starts off on the street next to us - taunting my kids with his peppy wonderland musical number, and then just when I've convinced the kids that it's Thursday, and we only buy ice cream from the truck as a treat on the weekends, he starts in on my street.
My little street - drowning out every mother who is telling her kids "not today dear" and stopping in front of MY house.
I think he has staked out the street ahead of time, making mental notes of where children under 12 live, and specifically multiple children who can gang up on unsuspecting mums with whines and 'please mums' with more persistance than a squirrel, trying to get a nut.

Really, how can I compete with that?

I am either the wicked witch of the west for denying them what they seem to think is a summer right of passage, or I am
weak and give in to their demands, reaffirming their belief that I am easily manipulated and will cave on anything if the whining is long and strong enough.
It is a lose lose situation - UNLESS.....
I can defeat the ice cream man....
yes....
I must be the hero.....
Mummy must save the day!



Upon hearing the familiar melodious strains from a distance, I seize my opportunity.

"Matthew - get your clothes on quick" - for yes, my 4 yr old is prancing about the house naked - clothes are an abomination to him, and summer affords him the freedom to shed anything that comes in contact with his skin.

"It's Thursday" I tell the kids "not a weekend - but I think we should have some ICE CREAM"!

Surprisingly, I am not met with resistance to this suggestion. Usually my 'suggestions' are frowned upon, but then again, my "suggestions' usually run along the lines of "I suggest your finish your dinner first" or "I suggest you put your jammies on now" or "I suggest you apologise for hitting your brother unless you would rather stay in your room for the rest of the evening".
No, this suggestion they like.
It is the fastest I have ever seen Matthew get dressed.

I throw open the front door with a 10$ bill in my hand, just in time to see the colourful ice cream mammoth lumbering up the street. I make a big show for the kids, stepping out to the curb and Flagging the man down - because you know if I didn't, he would just drive right on by, oh yes he would. I have saved the day by making him stop, waving my money around as if to say "I'm your best customer" even though I notice I am his only customer.....I guess everyone else was making dinner or something.....

Nevertheless - three giant ice cream cones later, I am dishing out the treats to my appreciative and suddenly obedient little boys. I am feeling good. I am their hero. There are smiles all around.

Matthew says "Oh GOODIE, the ICE CREAM TRUCK BOUGHT US ICE CREAM CONES"

WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAATTTTTTTT?????????

So now the ice cream truck is stealing my thunder - Taking credit for the yummy cold treats that I have provided for my adoring offspring. NOT FAIR.

"Mummy bought the ice cream" I correct my 4 yr old who is no longer listening, his eyes glazed over in a sugar induced state of bliss.

Yes, the ice cream man is evil. Darn his delicious confection that keeps me returning.
At least I am not the wicked witch........


not until bedtime.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

A nice lady suggested I tell my kids that the truck just drives around playing free music. It's not a icecream truck but a music truck. I don't think it would last very long with my kids, before long they'd found out that there was icecream in there. OK my kids have only seen and Icecream truck when on vacation in Calif.

T said...

my kids only hear the music... i slyly have got his timing down that I close the blinds and distract them with loud toys.... i realize i am only bying time... but time is a blessing. :)

Hannah said...

LOL Jenn! I have fond memories of the icecream truck. It only came past on Saturday mornings. We didn't get icecream every Saturday, but I do remember getting it quite often.
Now that I think about it, it has been so long since I've heard an icecream truck. I don't think they have them anymore - well, I've seen them at school galas and places like that, but haven't heard one driving up and down the street for years. So my kids have no idea what "that music" means!!! Lucky me! LOL :-)

Lora said...

I am sooooo lucky that Griffin has no clue what the ice cream truck is furthermore it doesn't even come down our street. So, I don't even have to hear that darn obnoxious music. Believe me, I count my lucky stars every day that I don't have to deal with the evil ice cream man.

Anonymous said...

Hi Jenn:
Just think of the memories you are creating.:) I love summer!
Next winter when it's 30 below and the winds are howling at your door I guarantee there won't be an evil ice cream man to disturb your quiet neighbourhood.
LYM

Ravenbajan said...

Okay... now I know it definately is a conspiracy among ice cream truck people! Our guy comes around at 8:00-9:00pm. Just in time to cause a fit while trying to get a child into bed.

MamaTink said...

I'm with your Mom on this one :) Think of the memories :)

Also, loud music. Rock Music. Dance like a FOOL I say! DANCE!! DISTRACT!!

Hugs:)

~Lisa~

DANCE!!

the mystic said...

Luckily the icecream truck doesn't come to my neighborhood, so my kids think it's something that comes to the park (that's the only place we've seen it).

The other me said...

Hoorah we live in the middle of town, no ice cream trucks, but we get the whining at the park where the exact same ice creams that we buy boxed at £1 for 6 cost £1.25 EACH and they tell me the park wones taste SO much better....I cave every once in a while but it HURTS!! I love the getting in first thing, I do that sometimes, feels great to avoid that whining!

K.C.'sMommy said...

Evil Ice Cream Man! We have an ice cream truck that comes down our street so damn fast that it is impossible to catch him! I swear he speeds through our street. Maybe it's too hot here, it's been triple digits and the time we did get an ice cream for Big Brother it was gooshy :( That's what we get for living in the desert, lol. K.C. hasn't a clue as to what the ice cream man is.
I love reading your posts! I am smiling ear to ear, your boys are absolutely precious!

mom of 2 said...

That is hilarious! Our ice cream man is MIA...and that is a good thing. He was pretty shady! A while ago we did hear him coming around the neighborhood and decided to get the kids some ice cream. Of course on that night as we rushed outside, he passed right on by our street. So, off to Wal Mart I go for some ice cream!

And it always does seem like there is someone to steal our thunder...The Easter Bunny, the tooth fairy and Santa. Sometimes I would like to get some of that credit with my kids!!

Great post!!

Christina said...

I know what your talking about. The guy comes practically every day, all year, here in Hawaii.