To add to my insanity, we went along with a friend and her FOUR girls, plus her niece and nephew, and another friend and her two kids. Are you keeping track? that's 11 kids so far. Granted, one of those is still immobile, at only 7 months old, but it's still 11 kids!!!!
At the beach.
On the hottest day of the year!
Forget taking them to the latest movie in a nice air-conditioned theatre, oh no, if it's going to be that hot, we're doing a hot activity. And since the heat had pretty much fried the part of my brain responsible for thinking things like "hmmm, 11 kids at the beach might be a bit of a challenge, maybe we should do something slightly easier, like cure cancer or solve that pesky middle east problem." It was off to the beach we went, adequately supplied (I thought) with a cooler full of drinks, and a bag of snacks ranging from peanut butter sandwiches to a tub of gummy worms.
Did you know that gummy worms can melt? Oh yes they can, into a sugary colourful wormlike puddle, gooey to the touch, although they do revert to their original consistency when placed in a cooler.
Of course, when packing my cooler, I neglected to take into account the fact that 2 yr olds sitting in a stroller will not be content to drink out of a can with a straw, but would much rather dump the ice tea all down the front of themselves, sufficiently soaking the towels that had been placed in the basket portion of the stroller "to keep the sand off of them so they stay clean".
Nobody ate the peanut butter sandwiches. Heat tends to make you less hungry I guess. In any case, the kids went all day on a snack pack of oreos and 46 cans of ice tea (ok maybe just 6 cans, but who's counting?).
They played in the sand.
They played in the water.
they played in the park.
They did not fight.
They did not ask for chocolate milk every 6.2 minutes
They did not need anything except a shovel - and sunscreen. Lots and lots of sunscreen.
the beach was gorgeous, and perfect and totally worth driving an hour to get to.
Admission to public beach, and parking.......................$0.00
1/4 tank of gas to get there (and back).......................$20.00
Snacks, drinks and gummy worms..............................$14.00
3 kids falling asleep on the way home.........................Priceless
Really - we had a great day :)

10 comments:
OMGoodness! That picture is priceless :)
My kids LOVE the beach :) It makes for great memories!
Thanks for the heads up on the gummy worms.
~Lisa~
That sounds like fun! We don't have a beach close to us, but we all LOVE going to the beach! And the picture is great!!
Wonderful picture. Where is this beach, it looks awesome. That's so funny, 11 kids at the beach. I don't think I'm that brave. It does sound like it was worth it though, not only a good deal price wise, but the playing and no fighting and nagging for chocolate sounds good to me. A day like this is a definately priceless.
That is a great picture Jenn! :) I love it. Sounds like a (hot!) fun day.
It did sound amazingly scary at first...lol....but so glad that it turned out so wonderfully. That picture is PRICELESS!
OMG how gorgeous are they!!! Glad you had a great day!
Hugs
Julie
What a gorgeous photo!!!! SO CUTE!!
I cannot imagine driving an hour to the beach. OMG. We are 5 min walk from the beach, which means we don't have to pack 46 cans of ice tea. We just go home if we need something.
I am completely FREAKING OUT about the temperatures over there!!! How am I going to cope? We are not used to 40 degree heat. Although we ARE used to humidity (usually 80-90%, so 50% doesn't sound too bad at all).
Do you guys ever swim in the lake? Forgive me if that is a crazy question, but just chalk it up to my ignorance of such things :-)
Rob thinks I am going to swim in Lake Ontario ;-P
Hi Jenn;
What a gorgeous picture. I want a copy. Please send it to me and I can copy it myself.
LYM
Jenn, what a great pic. So nice to see the big boys actually looking like they are caring for Joey!!
That is the absolute sweetest picture!
Post a Comment