Monday, August 07, 2006

Snap Snap Grin Grin, Say No More! LOTS of PICS

I love my camera.
I really do.
It's not spectacular - It's just a point and shoot, 3.2MP Olympus C-3020 Zoom that we bought 4 years ago, just before Matthew was born.
After doting on our firstborn and spending hundreds and hundreds on photofinishing, to capture the first smile, first time eating peas, first tickle,fart and bubble blowing, first birthday, first everything, I realized that if I wanted more kids, and being 7 months pregnant, that was starting to look like a reality, I'd better do something about the photographic hole in my proverbial pocket, draining our paycheques as we sought to get yet another picture of 'the baby'. I had thoroughly documented on film every waking hour of our beloved (and a few sleeping "isn't he precious" shots) that I knew we simply couldn't sustain the expense of photographing multiple kids, and continuing to pay for all the blurry shots, all the half blinking shots, and all the times he lunged at me trying to grab my camera.

Enter the digital age!

We splurged on a really good (back then) camera - knowing that we'd more than make up the cost by only printing 1 out of every 28745 pictures that actually was worth printing. I loved having a delete button. Fuzzy picture? No problem DELETED
Weirdo expression? DELETED, sweet potatoes in the hair? DELETED, and on it went.

Then Matthew was born, and we went crazy with the picture taking. We actually took MORE pictures - because they were 'free' and anything that wasn't worthy of putting in an album simply went bye bye....

So I have a great relationship with my camera - I've managed to coax out the very best it can offer - and then some, with the magic of Photoshop.

Yesterday however, I dropped my camera. It's been dropped before, it is a sturdy camera, and has lived to tell the tale. but not yesterday. Yesterday was the end of my good ol' camera.
I dropped it on the kitchen floor. Cameras don't like ceramic tile - at least not being hurled into it. The casing broke. And while I could still view pics off the card - and download them - The camera no longer takes pictures. It's broken, and along with it, so is my heart - because I LOVE my camera, and now it's broken.

Granted, I could get an awesome camera for the price we paid for it - but I wasn't really anticipating shelling out major bucks for a new camera JUST yet.

So, I give you a sampling of my camera. Shots from the last 4 years - some of my favourites, and some more of my favourites. May it rest in peace - And may I get an even MORE awesome camera!! because I really like taking pics :)

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

ETA - Wait, I think I like this last one better in Sepia Tone.....BTW - this is the very LAST pic I took with my camera. Thank goodness for photoshop...

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

17 comments:

Julie Q said...

So sorry to hear about the camera Jenn. Those are great shots. :) Thank you for sharing them with us. :)

Good luck getting a new digital camera. I hope you find one you like. I want one, but I have no clue what to look for. I am digital clueless.

Hannah said...

Sorry to hear about the demise of your beloved camera :-(
Have you got insurance?? Hey, maybe I could buy one for you from the duty free store?!

I'm bringing two digital cameras with me. Yes, two. One is mine and the other is the company's. One is to take pictures of you and your gorgeous boys and the other is to take pictures of boring slides and posters.

I hope you find a really good camera that you love just as much :-)

Anonymous said...

Hi Jenn,
You missed your calling. You should have been a photographer.
I've seen them all but they are still beautiful.
LYM

Anonymous said...

Beautiful!!

JMSWMBO

odat_kim said...

Gorgeous pics, even a new one of you for the profile. I do like the blonde in that pic :)
Kim

the mystic said...

Oh my gosh those are some beautiful pictures! I LOVE the third baby with an attitude.

My digital camera survived a drop on the tile (thanks to J) once, but it's a little sketchy now, and the lens cover thingy doesn't stay closed by itself, etc. But I'm going to use it until it stops taking pictures (because, you know if I get a new one something tragic will happen to that too, until these guys leave home!).

Heather said...

YOur pictures arte STUNNING!

mom of 2 said...

How precious your children are!!! I think my favorite was the 2 passys...so cute!!

Our digital recently broke and we ended up getting a Canon Power Shot A510. It rated very well on consumerreport.com and was about $165...not too bad. It takes excellent pics!!

Good luck finding a new camera!!

Christina said...

I'm so sorry to hear about your camera. I didn't actually get a digital camera until about 3 months ago and I love it, so I know how I would feel if I had to let it go. Let's hope you get a new really awesome camera soon. BTW awesome photos. I absolutely love the black and white photo with his blue eyes being blue. What a great picture. It reminds me of the innocense of being a child.

Julie Julie Bo Boolie said...

LOVE LOVE LOVE the photos! Let me know if you want to go camera shopping at DB.. I'd love to come too :)

Hugs

Julie

saheldormparents said...

Jenn, That last pic of Duncan could win a prize! I always love looking at your pics and I remember them all except the one of Duncan with two pacifiers! That is hilarious! Good luck finding another camera, get it quick!

The other me said...

glorious, just fabulous pictures. You are so clever, I want to go and take pics of my boys immediately...except they just pull stupid faces and never stay still!!

Ravenbajan said...

Your pictures are stunning! May your old camera rest in peace. Is it heartless to say enjoy shopping for a new one?! lol

Anonymous said...

Thanks for that! I love pics of your boys!

Ers said...

just blog-hopping!

i love taking pictures too!

hope you'll have a replacement soon. its just frustrating when you want to catch the moment and the cam is not around.

K.C.'sMommy said...

Beautiful photos! You are an excellent photographer!!

saheldormparents said...

Just had to say the penultimate pic of Joey in b/w with the blue eyes looks so much like you as a baby!