What is wrong with you???
Why on God's green earth did you ever think that a toy that has 4000 tiny little pieces would be a good idea?
Let me tell you - it is not.
Parents do not buy Lego - Aunts and uncles with no kids, or those trying to exact revenge for the drum set you bought their kid that one year are the ones that buy lego for other people's kids.
I know I know, you probably were thinking what a great way to develop a child's creativity - but it's gone too far. Yes kids can be creative with Lego - but not in building yet another tower.....oh no, they get creative in where they can leave those sharp little pieces.
Ever stepped on a little piece of lego hiding in the bottom of your shoe? It hurts!
That's right Mr. President of Lego; even though your website claims "the world's children spend 5 billion hours a year playing with LEGO bricks." the truth is that they aren't so much playing with it, as throwing it around the room, pitching it downstairs, hiding it in my shoes, and leaving that token piece for me to step on after I've cleaned up all those pieces yet again strewn about my living room. Lego should not be marketed towards the under 10 crowd - since they don't really enjoy playing with it.
Oh sure, their eyes light up when you bring out a big bucket of the multicoloured bricks. They have plans, but get distracted too easily, and find out that lego "bullets" can hurt. The sound of lego being thrown up in the air and landing on ceramic tile is enough to make a 2 year old laugh hysterically.
They throw it, they eat it, and then they leave it. all over.
I'm tired of picking up Lego.
I'm tired of stepping on Lego.
I am weary of finding Lego down the register, in my vacuum cleaner, and blocking the toilet from flushing.
It doesn't belong in a fish tank, the microwave, the pool or the dishwasher, and yet those pieces find their way into all of the above on a regular basis.
As much as I appreciate the fact that you are trying to instill creativity into my children - believe me, they have plenty of creative uses for Lego that I'm sure you never thought of before. Please put warnings on future packages of Lego.
Examples:
WARNING: Although this box contains 875 pieces, you will not be able to build all the cool pictures on the package. approx 1/2 of all pieces will be lost by children under 3 within 24 hours.
WARNING: Pieces are sharp and will draw blood when stepped upon.
WARNING: pieces are small enough to flush, but big enough to cause your toilet to back up. small enough to stick up a 2 yr olds nose, but big enough to cause pain when mum tries to extract it from 2 yr olds nose.
WARNING: pieces do not pick themselves up.
Thanks
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

18 comments:
I hate Lego. There. I said it. I've been hiding a bucket of Lego from my kids in the basement for over 3 years now. They don't know it's there. They never will. One day it will be either Freecycled or donated to their school. It will never be played with here if I have a say in it.
Yeah I know. I'm an evil Mom. I don't care. So there!
Hi Jenn,
I guess it's time to put the Lego away until the boys are 10 years old. That's only 5 years you have to store it, then it will be like a new present.
LYM
That was hilarious!! I totally agree with you about stepping on them...oooohhhh it hurts soooo bad!!! However, I do have to say that in the past few months my son (he's 5) has started actually building things out of the legos...much to our surprise!! And I'm sad to say that I do believe we bought him the legos when he was about 2...stupid, stupid, stupid!! We quickly learned that he was too young and put them away until about 6 months ago. Thanks for the laugh!!
Oh man our kids have a 3 drawer rolley cart thingy FULL of legos! My son ADORES them - he does get really creative with them. And he is learning that if they are not picked up - my DYSON eats them!
Children under three? Yeah right, my five yaer old loses them, of course that is usually b/c his 3 y/o sister grabs them. Aidan loves, I mean LOVES, legos. I am with you and will wholeheartedly sign a petition banning them in all forms (well except the gynormous ones).
-Fellow Lego-Logged Mom
I hate Legos too. Of course I still let my kids play with them, but like yours they spend more time hiding them around the house for me to step on than actually playing with them.
What no "W.I.L.T"?
LMBO! That was one that I read aloud to Shane!
They are loud too, when dumped all out at once.
You are so right about stepping on them! Ouch!
We don't have Lego, we have Duplo. Now those pieces are TOO BIG to go unnoticed in your shoe or the microwave or the toilet. Not that my boys have ever put any Duplo in those places, but if they did I would certainly see it.
Lego is so small. I had it when I was young, but probably not until I was 7 or 8. Duplo is big and kind of babyish, but the kids love it and until Ethan realises there is smaller stuff out there, we can keep fooling him!! Hehehe :-)
Oh, and you are SO right about not being able to make the pictures on the box with the enclosed pieces. That annoys me SO much!
I try to keep all toys that can be put up the nose out of the house. One trip to the ER was enough for me.
I hope my next kid doesn't take a liking to putting things into the toilet. That can't be fun.
I've taken to wearing shoes all the time because I can't stand stepping on any kind of toys.
My kids have fun with legos but they do often end up in places they shouldn't be.
Spot On!! I've always thought Legos were evil and everytime one of the damn things draws blood it just confirms it to me.
LOVE your warnings and I think we should start a petition to have them added to the side of the boxes.
lol
LOL... everything you wrote couldn't be more true! I got smart and shipped off a huge box of it to my parents place and kept just a bit of it at home. I told them it would give the grandkids another toy to play with at their place when we are visiting. Bwahahah!!!!! (evil, smiley grin!)
We have duplo. still hate it. Yet still I find myself picking up exciting looking lego boxes and picturing how happy my boys would be....then I force myself to picture how many places I will find those darned pieces. You missed in between the couch cushions....just enough jutting out to stick in your bum when you sit down exhausted from picking up the other 3028 bits around the house. No matter how thoroughly I think I have cleaned, there will ALWAYS be one rogue bit to step on when I creep into the dark bedroom to kiss those duplo chuckers goodnight. It was definately a man who invented it. Definately.
Hahahaha! I love it!
I still haven't bought the boys lego's yet. They have the duplo blocks and I'm quite happy with that :)
Yes! And please send a copy to the Lincoln Log people too!
also, I must ask is the new picture of you old or new? Because seriously you look like 20 years old in it. I need to know if I should be jealous! ;)
I just love your sense of humor and your writing abilities, what a great combonation. That was hilarious and all so true!
soooo true! and I am exactly like julie (first comment) I have bags of lego in my basement too! actually I took all the toys and put them in the basement... why the heck do they need toys anyways???
Post a Comment