Saturday, September 02, 2006

You're fired!

No we haven't been watching the Apprentice - The Trumpster's hair is far too frightening to subject my kids to.

We have been watching Spongebob Squarepants though, seeing as this is the last week before school starts, so I don't mind letting them watch their favourite yellow sponge before hitting the books!

In any case, they've picked up this new phrase "You're fired" - and they have no idea what it really means.
They do use it in context though, and threaten each other daily;
"Give me that toy, OR YOU'RE FIRED"
"Come outside with me OR YOU'RE FIRED"

I suppose in a way it's my fault for using the "do X or you'll get Y" formula for all manner of things - from getting them to bed to picking up their toys. It's not uncommon to hear me threaten "Get into your jammies or you won't be able to watch TV" so they know the formula - just not the meaning.

This became all too clear to me the other night when my 5 yr old wanted a drink before bedtime.
Since we are trying to get out of the pull-ups at night because they are nothing more than expensive diapers, I've instituted the "no drinking right before bed" rule for him. It's difficult because his little brother always has a drink, and we dare not change that routine - as he gets his nighttime meds in his nighttime drink and we must not ever change the nighttime ritual for anything. Besides, the 4 yr old is fully night trained and has been for a while - getting himself up at all hours of the night to use the bathroom, regardless of how much melotonin we've given him.
So it was not met with the stamp of approval, this no drinking before bed idea, but we've told him that it's either a drink and a pull-up, or no drink and no pull-up.
This brought out his angry side and he quickly demanded
"bring me a drink - OR YOU'RE FIRED - and I'll use REAL FIRE!!!!"

After leaving the room quickly whilst stifling a laugh and running downstairs to tell my hubby while we giggled together, I calmly went back upstairs to tell him that the rules remain the same - and to explain what "you're fired" actually means.

'There's no fire' I told him.
'Being fired means you lose your job - You know how spongebob has a job working at the Krusty Krab, well, when Mr Crabs tells him he could be fired, it means he would not be allowed to work at the Krusty Krab anymore'

I could almost see a lightbulb go on over Duncan's head. Along with a little relief that he wouldn't have to use fire to make good on his threat.

'You can't fire mummy' I said -"Because I'm always going to be your mummy"
"And you'll love me to infinity and beyond?"
"Of course I will"

Today I had to explain to him the meaning of "Poop deck".

Thankyou Nickleodeon, for making our summer so educational.

Happy Anniversary Julie!

8 comments:

Hannah said...

Hahaha, that is SOO funny!!! Real fire, huh?! What a cutie!

I just love it how my kids pick up phrases from TV/movies and then use them in all the wrong ways.

Hey, at least they can make us giggle :-)

Anonymous said...

LOL those boys are just too funny! Love the idea of having to explain a poop deck LMBO.

Thanks for another great night out!

and for the anniversary shout out!

Love Ya!

Julie Julie Bo Boolie

Anonymous said...

That was a good one. Aren't kids smart? It is so funny how they take everything that is said so literally. Like you said thank Nickelodeon for such an educational summer.
BTW we have to watch this too. What is it with that yellow sponge that attracts so many viewers.
Christina from allthatblog.blogspot.com
PS I have to post who I am since beta is not accepting my comments. Some kind of bug or something.

mom of 2 said...

That is so funny!! I love hearing things that kids say...so cute!! I have to say, though, that we love Sponge Bob!!

Anonymous said...

lol I don't know if you've had a chance to see my post on HT, but I've had a change of heart (sort of) about that little yellow guy.

And I have to know how the "Poop deck" conversation went!

Lisa said...

Awww...that's the sweetest thing ever...Love you to infinity and beyond. Buzz lightyear takes on so many roles :)

Julie Q said...

My 5 year old has occasional accidents as well. We too have to watch drinks after dinner time. He hates that, so I can imagine how Duncan feels when his brother gets to have a drink.

It is funny what they pick up from tv, and how they see it. :)

Your boys are so sweet Jenn.

Anonymous said...

BWA HA HA HA!! "POOP DECK"!! I bet they didn't put this in the manual they gave you at Parenting School, did they?