Friday, September 29, 2006

Joey talks!

Joey is my baby.
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

He's hardly a baby anymore, he's 2-1/2, but I still call him my baby, and he will always always be my baby!

My baby has a language delay.

Just before his 2nd birthday we had his speech and language skills looked at by the professionals who assessed him to be in the 6 - 9 month range - considerably delayed.
But now.....Now my baby is talking!

We practically did a jig the first time he said "milk", instead of grabbing my fingers and dragging me to the fridge, or just plain crying until I guessed what he wanted.

we did a parent/child intensive language building seminar, and maybe he's just a late bloomer but it seems each day now, new words are pouring forth. Most of them are unintelligible to most people, and sounds like a lot of babbling - but a mummy knows. Mummy can tell the difference between a babble and a consistently spoken babble assigned to something specific.
Mo-ma-ma could be babbling to you, but *I* know that it means "Marshmallow".
Dee-ish-us means 'chocolate' (yes he calls it Delicious, because it IS)
and Miiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiilk is always spoken long and drawn out.

Today he spoke a new phrase for me. He brought me the hamburger remains of his big brothers lunch, and pushed it into my hand saying "Kra-ey Pa-ey"

Yep, he's saying "Krabby Patty".

I have got to get him watching some educational videos instead of Spongebob......

19 comments:

Julie Q said...

Aw, Jenn, so cute! My own H was a late talker. She is so loud now!

It must be music to your ears to hear words forming from his sweet little mouth. He's a beautiful baby by the way. ;)

He he, my baby is nearing 6 faster than I care to think about. And yes, he too will always be my baby.

Anonymous said...

Yahoo - WTG Joey!
We also had Kaitlyn assessed, as she still doesn't say certain words properly for her age (ie jacket comes out as dackit). The speech pathologist says she isn't moving her tongue back to make the sound & suggested we invest in straws to help with that. So far after a brief stop at the dollar store, she is making slow progress, but she is also stubborn like DH :) Enjoy the chocolate treats - they look delicious!

Shauna (murgatr)

dd 11/22/98
dd 6/27/02

odat_kim said...

Way to go Joey and Jenn for helping him with his language skills. He's such an adorable baby too :) He could be the strong silent type because that face is just the cutest :)
Kim

Anonymous said...

Hi Jenn,
Such an adorable baby! Yes he'll always be your baby....even when he's married with his own kids someday. So glad he is beginning to say words we can understand with a little help from Mommy. Mommies know!
LYM

KC's Blog said...

Way to go Joey! Yay Spongebob! Joey is gorgeous, what a beautiful little face:)

Here's to more Joey words!

Anonymous said...

very happy you you both!! my nephew did not say a word 'till he was about 3 years... he was the last of 3 boys as well!

The other me said...

you know about how late Isaac was....4 before even I could understand a word he said! He says everything now, still in a baby voice but there are times I wish he would be quiet!!

Lora said...

HOORAY! Way to go Joey!!!!That is so exciting!What kind of educational videos are you using?What a gorgeous picture that is of him, it looks professional.

Jenn said...

Lora - We use the Leapfrog videos - They are entertaining and they really do help - great for visual learners!
Try "the Letter Factory" to start with.
And thanks for the compliment on the photo - I'm hoping to turn professional one day.....

Anonymous said...

Thats awesome. I am so excited for you! Nolan seems to be delayed a bit on speaking. I love the Kra-eey Pa-ee!

Anonymous said...

whoo-hoo! that's great!! My Solenbum said "more" the other day at school! His teachers called us up at home to lettuce know. It's a grand time for speech, right?

Lil' Miss Thang, meanwhile, is getting into the language groove, too, and has taken to telling us off in baby jargon. She'll point her finger and babble at us in a mad, mad voice telling us JUST what she things.

Oh, and she said "damnit" the other day, too... Ooops.

CONGRATUATIONS!!

Anonymous said...

My 3 year old has a language delay also, but I am not worried because I grew up with my cousin Rebecca who barely said a word until she was 4.
her mom and the docs kept wondering what was wrong. Well she is now 38 and not only does she talk, but she never shuts up. She is a mom and a school teacher, so her lack of languagec didn't seem to hold her back.

Hannah said...

So cute!! Way to go Joey!! I can just imagine his cute little voice saying it (how COOL that I can do that!!) and I'm sure those videos are going to have him counting to 100 and reciting his ABCs in no time at all - just look at his smart big brothers! They'll help him learn :-)

Ravenbajan said...

Beautiful picture!

That's hillarious about the Krabby Patty! What a cutie!

mom of 2 said...

That's so awesome!!! I love babble...I never did mind having to translate what my kids were saying!

MamaTink said...

Beautiful picture, beautiful post :) I am so proud of him :)

~Lisa~

Anonymous said...

I say bless Spongebob...lol....that's so awesome Joey! WTG!

the mystic said...

Oh my gosh and what a gorgeous baby he is! Great news on the talking. But wait, SpongeBob isn't educational?

Lisa said...

Oh I'm sooo happy he's talking.

I know what you mean about words pouring forth. Neither of my boys spoke till their second birthdays and then it was like a waterfall of words. Wonderful thing to the ears isn't it?