It's Matthew's first day of kindergarten today.
I'm waiting for the phone to ring.
So far, I've talked to my friend Denise twice, but the school has yet to call. This must mean everything is ok.
He was so excited to be starting "big kids school" today. No more preschool, this is the real deal.
From 8:20am until 3pm, I've entrusted my son to the school, the teacher (who is awesome) and the special resources Education Assistant (who is also awesome) and trust that he won't need the security blanket I've packed (just in case).
I trust that he'll eat his lunch - and won't choke, throw up, or demand chocolate milk by threatening to fire the teacher!
I trust that he'll stay in the kindergarten room, and not escape to wander the halls or push all the buttons on that oh-so-attractive elevator.
Yesterday in preparation for our big day, we went to Walmart to get him a new backpack (Hey Julie & Warpie, we found one that is "evil enough" in red white and blue)
While at walmart, we passed a bin of assorted pillows that he simply could not pass up. He wanted one, and they had them in all sorts of shapes and sizes and colours - Green frog? Nope.......How about this funny monkey one then? Nope.........The boy picked out the fluffiest round lavendar girly pillow you can imagine.
"This one" he exclaimed happily, stroking it, and hugging it and putting it next to his cheek.
I tried to gender stereotype him and tempt him with a similar BLUE one, but he was not to be swayed. Lavender. Or pink.
I got him the Lavender one.
I figured it was a fair trade off after not letting him get the pink Max & Ruby shoes that were proudly displayed in the girls shoe department. We got navy white and yellow generic shoes with flashing red lights instead, and I felt a little bad that I did it. I mean, who cares if he wants pink shoes? Max and Ruby aren't just for girls - he loves that show, but they didn't make the shoes with any other colours - they were white with pink lining, and pink soles and pink patterned laces and Max & Ruby wearing decidedly pink outfits. Yet my own pride got in the way, and I didn't let him get the pink shoes.
I justified it to myself saying that I didn't want him to get teased, but really, I just didn't want my BOY wearing GIRLS shoes. My bad.
But I did buy him the lavender pillow.
He loves it.
He took it to school today.
He insisted on walking to school today (it's raining) with our buzz lightyear umbrellas. Because of the rain, the kids were just dropped off inside the kindergarten room instead of waiting in the kindergarten area, getting up the nerve to be seperated from mum (and some dads) for their first day of school.
I left my boy standing inside the kindergarten room, watching his teacher trying to calm down a hysterical crying boy that was not adjusting very well. He just stood there and watched them. I left him there. to fend for himself, in a new classroom, with a new teacher, and 17 other kids that he doesn't know.
I'm waiting for the phone to ring.
At least he has his pillow.
WILT: Kid's umbrellas are made for kids - Adults who use them still get wet by the time they get home.
WILT: When a 2yr old locks himself in the bathroom, the maximum capacity of a toilet bowl is: 2 rolls of toilet paper, a toy boat, 1 buzz lightyear bubble blower, 2 bottles of body wash and 4 large plastic easter eggs. None of it is flushable, except perhaps the eggs, which I managed to recover 3-1/2 of them.
The boys first day of kindergarten went WONDERFULLY - in fact better than I expected.
When I went to pick him up the teacher leaned over and whispered that he was the BEST in the class today - absolutely no problems at all, but that we should keep that very quiet since we want to keep his E.A.
He didn't fall asleep, like his brother did every afternoon last year. He coloured, and ate all his lunch and acted as though he'd been in kindergarten all his life. His nursery school last year had something to do with that, as well as his sunday school teacher who both employed routines and maintained 'school-like' environments.
He has his therapy tonight, so Wednesdays are going to be long - He'll sleep tonight :)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

18 comments:
We did the first day of kindergarten about a month ago! I'm sure he'll be fine!
My son (he's 5) loves Max & Ruby, too...it's a cute show! I bet he would've wanted those shoes, too! I would have done the same thing you did though. I don't think I could have bought them either!
Oh good for Matthew on his first day, awesome!
Kim
Zachary loves Max and Ruby too! I too would not have gotten the girl shoes for him. I'm sure he would have liked them as well.
(((Big Hugs Jenn!))) I hope his first day went well. :)
Wow, first day of kindergarten!! I bet he is so proud of himself, and I can't wait to hear about his first day.
The phone hasn't rung yet ... so perhaps it won't?? I'm sure he's having a great time!
Oh Jenn! you write it all so beautifully :) I hope the phone does Not ring, that Matthew is having too much fun to need his pillow and that the 17 other kids think Matthew is the coolest kid they've ever met :)
HUGS!!
Also, I wouldn't have bought the shoes either...I imagine boys feet are different than girls, and therefore need to be strapped into boy shoes for proper growth...yeah...that's it!!
~Lisa~
Hi Jenn,
I'm so glad Matthew's day went so well.
That's an answer to prayer.
LYM
Hi Jenn,
I should mention that along with answer to prayer I'm sure Matthew's day went very well also because of the good preparation his Mom gave him. You must be very proud of him.
LYM
Yay! So glad to hear it went well. :)
I know how happy you must be today. Zachary had a good day today as well. :)
Oh I'm so happy that he did so well and no meltdowns on his first day of big boy school! Yay!!!!
My boys LOVED Max and Ruby especially Connor. Kinda funny about the lavendar pillow though, sometimes my kids are nuts like that too. So glad Matthew's day went so well. That's such wonderful news, I'm sure there will be some day's more trying than others but I'm sure he'll do just fine!
(for some reason it won't let me sign in....grrr)
Erin
How great that his first day went so well!!!
That is awesome. Sounds like he did great. My dh would've died about the pillow. Your dh is a better man. lol. :). I love it though!
Your toliet bowl holds more then mine does ;)
Sounds like we've been experiencing the same thing this week! Glad to hear his first day went well. That is so cute about the pillow and shoes!!!!
whew...it's finally letting me leave a comment!
thanks for the commentS on my blog! it is fun trying to get to 200....I am not sure if I will today so I may leave it up! I will do the same for you if you decide to do the same thing! let me know!
Congratulations Matthew! How did the therapy go? I imagine he was tired after his long day! I bet you wer euphoric though! I'm still waiting for your phone call!
lym, Seeester
I'm so glad his first day went so well. Kindergarten is a huge milestone. I had to laugh about the pink shoes. At this age I don't think kids really think much about shoes being a boy or girl color, they just think their shoes.
Christina all that blog
Way to go Matthew! We are very proud of you. Jenn, you are such an awesome mum!
congrats on the first day of school!
It was sooo funny that he wanted the lavender and pink pillow... my son sometimes does the same thing! he said that pink was his favourite colour!! And I did the same thing... well, baby, pink is for girls...
talk about taking it "literally", now, it applies to EVERYTHING... even vitamins, markers, blocks, and on and on...
Post a Comment