Not only does my 5 yr old like wearing a suit and tie, he BEGS me to wear a suit and tie everyday. He likes to look "like a boss" and quite frankly, I think he just likes ordering people around.
He learned the art of "delagation" as well as the word and has been "Delagating Matthew" to do all his dirty work lately, like cleaning his room, and picking up the toys.
I found out from his teacher that this behaviour has extended into the classroom too.
Apparently my little entrepreneur has been hoarding all the crayons, markers, scissors and glue sticks from all the other kids, and charging them to use them.
Problem was solved when the teacher got him brand new crayons, markers scissors and glue stick and put it in a box labeled with his name. It goes in the cupboard up beside the teachers box, and the E.A's box.
He is the only kid in the class that gets his own box, everyone else shares from the communal pool of supplies.
"See?" his teacher told me "He just needed a sense of ownership, to have his own stuff".
He isn't fooling me. I know what he wants - He wants to be a grown up. The grownups get their own box - so he wants his own box. He wants to be a BOSS - a grown up boss. He wants to be 30 like me (shhhhhhh he thinks I'm 30!), but is trapped in a small 5 yr olds body. He wants to have all the privileges of being a grownup. Sorry kid, it ain't all it's cracked up to be. I know plenty of adults who'd like the freedom of being 5 again.....
Nevertheless - this 'box' has resulted in him getting work done at school like nobody's business - and since he struggled all year last year in kindergarten, this year is proving to be much better, even though he did struggle for the first few weeks.
It's not the academics he's struggling with, but more the routine, and actually having to sit and listen. It's hard for any 5 yr old boy I think, but he's an immature 5 yr old boy. He has a hard time with transitioning, and prefers to do things on his own agenda, instead of following the rules. That's why he wants to be the boss. He doesn't want to follow the rules - he wants to MAKE them. He wants to make others follow HIS rules.
What can I say, he's just like me.
Secretly I'm a little proud.
Of course cute will only take him so far. It's kind of cute now, but cute doesn't last forever - brains do. Hopefully he'll start applying himself and using his talents for good, instead of extorting his classmates.
oh, he's also decided that his name isn't Duncan anymore - He's MANRAY - a super-evil villain! (Don't most kids want to be superheroes?) He signs all his work with Manray now.
At least he spells it corrrectly....
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

17 comments:
That is so funny! What a little character he is! and Manray....hahahahahahha...hilarious!!!
Hi Jenn,
What a little monkey! Couldn't he call himself after some Good Superhero instead of the evil Manray?
How about Superman or Batman?
I guess today's kids don't watch them anymore. Anyway, he's still Duncan to me.Can't wait to see the kids again at Thanksgiving. There may even be some leaves to rake. I'll have to put Duncan in charge. TeeHee:)
LYM
I am so in love with your kids it's almost embarrassing!
I am so in love with your kids it's almost embarrassing!
Duncan, uh-hum....I mean, Manray is quite the character and I can't help but smile and chuckle a little bit. I know what you mean though about it being cute now but that doesn't last forever, it's true. He is adorable though regardless. ~Hugs to you guys~
LOL...I saw suits at Wal-Mart yesterday and thought of you Jenn...In the boys section...not sure of the price.
Henry is the same with school, he needs a lot of practice with the routines. I'm starting some practice sessions with him and Jenna. He comes over, and we pretty much play school. He hates it. But he's learning. We do everything the school does, lining up, circle time, outside time, working at the same table etc. I think it's helping. Is there a kid in Duncan/Manray's class that he would be comfortable having over? You could make it lots of fun, do some turn-taking games, hide the educational stuff...you know :)
Anyway...there I go rambling again :)
HUGS! Thanks for the funny post!
~Lisa~
ROFL Jenn - that is hilarious!
DH says that Courtney's showing leadership skills when she's bossing her little sister around. That may be true, but the natives might revolt one day, and she would get her butt kicked!
Manray, I would like to have superpowers too and be invisible, but I'll settle for the responsibilities of a 5 year old any day :)
Happy Turkey Weekend!
Shauna (murgatr)
dd 11/22/98
dd 6/27/02
Manray is just priceless. Also he did turn good in the end, he couldn't commit evil acts anymore. So Manray is a good villan. Perhaps Duncan, I mean Manray, recognizes his good and evil side and identifies more that way :) Such a brillant little man.
Manray is just priceless. Also he did turn good in the end, he couldn't commit evil acts anymore. So Manray is a good villan. Perhaps Duncan, I mean Manray, recognizes his good and evil side and identifies more that way :) Such a brillant little man.
Oh my gosh that is so cute! Boy the things that kids come up with!
Rofl, your boys are so darn cute!!! Manray, I love it!
Too funny! Manray. That is quite a name. I prefer Duncan though. ;)
He is cute too Jen. I'd be proud as well.
How wonderful that simply providing him with his own box could solve the problem so easily!! How lucky he is so have such a great teacher who can really "see" him and know what he needs. Too many teachers A) wouldn't have even realised how to solve the problem and B) wouldn't have wanted to give him his own box for fear of breaking the "rules".
Duncan is a lucky, lucky boy!
That sounds like a fantastic teacher tha tis really watching out and analyzing the needs of her kids. :) Awesome!
Sorry but Manray sounds too cute for words. Trump would be proud. He will make you millions one day mom :)
Trumpster would SOOO be proud! LOL...WTG Duncan on being such a forward thinker :)
I know what you mean about being secretly proud...I have those moments too.
He is very smart. I think he knows he is cute and as cute as he is I will bet his looks do get him far. These are the kind of people that believe in themselves anyway so I think he will do great things.
That is so funny that he wants to be the boss. I would be proud too. Good for him. He already knows what he wants.
My son, who is now 14, and a great student, used to tell us to call him Sonic after Sonic the Hedgehog game. So I think the Manray thing is normal.
That is so cute! But seriously I agree- 5 is the perfect age. Tell him he can be the "boss" at my house if I can trade with him and go to kindergarten LOL.
Post a Comment