Wednesday, October 11, 2006

Wednesday Morning......8:35AM

The boy Duncan: (Photo actually taken last Sunday)
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

"Duncan - would you like a chocolate chip waffle for breakfast?"

" Yeah!!!" (rather enthusiasticly I might add)

-----------------------1 minute 12 seconds later------------------

"Your waffle is just about done, sit up to the table please"

" well I don't want a waffle"

"But you said you did, so I made you one"

Well, I think I'll have an apple

Pause: - Now normally I would not mind getting him an apple, in fact, I'm usually quite pleased when he requests something moderately healthy, but the fact of the matter is that Chocolate chip waffles do not fit in with my preapproved breakfast plan for myself, and there was no way I was going to just throw it out - I mean he hadn't even smelled it yet - a perfectly good waffle, with all it's waffley goodness was waiting to be consumed. Unpause:

"You said you wanted a waffle, I made you a waffle, If you're hungry eat a waffle"

Well, no thanks

-------------------16 seconds later-------------------

Duncan poking around in the kitchen

"I want something"

"There's a yummy waffle here - it's still warm"

"No, I want an apple"

"Duncan, I am not your personal chef - we are having waffles for breakfast, not apples, if you are hungry eat the waffle, otherwise you are not getting anything"

Temper flares - The boy starts to cry.

Mummy's temper flares - she picks up 5 yr old boy and carries him to his room silently. Once up there, she remains surprisingly calm but says:
"I don't want to hear crying and tantrums - you stay up here until you're done. There are children who never get anything to eat, and would be very thankful for a chocolate chip waffle - you are very lucky to have a house, and food and all the things you have"

Pause: I know - I didn't think I'd ever pull the "children starving in Africa" routine - but by golly, kids today need to realize that they are not entitled to everything, they need to learn gratefulness. Unpause:

---------------approx 2 minutes -----------------

Boy comes downstairs

"I want something to eat"

"How about a chocolate chip waffle"

"Yeah"

And that was it.

It's only 9:25am - It's raining. I wonder what else is in store for me today......

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

omg, I was hoping these types of incidents was going to stop now that he's 4! I guess not eh!

that is a beautiful photo!

have a great day :) its also raining here... we must live close... literally... ;)

Jenn said...

Heh, Shaz, he's actually 5-1/2!! I think these incidents keep going until they move out, although the tantrums take on different forms. I'm sure as a teenager - he'll graduate to pouting, and guilt tripping, but I'm prepared. (i hope)

Anonymous said...

He's gorgeous.. and perfectly 5 isn't he! Good for you for keeping your patience! You ROCK!

Hugs

Julie

MamaTink said...

Well done Jenn!! He sounds just as stubborn as Aidan.

Hugs :)

~Lisa~

Julie Q said...

And just as stubborn as Zachary. ;)

It is raining here too. Dark and gloomy.

I hope your day gets better Jenn.

Anonymous said...

Beautiful. Audrey and Duncan should get together ;). Duncan is such a handsome little boy by the way. What a great photographer as well :)

Hannah said...

Wow - that worked?!?
I have to say I've tried the starving children in Africa line and it does NOTHING for my boys!! Maybe 4 is too young ... I'll wait until he's 5 before I try it again.

Now I want a choc chip waffle!! ;-)

Ravenbajan said...

First off - BEAUTIFUL picture!!

Don't feel bad about the 'Starving in Africa' routine. I'm guilty of pulling it a few times myself. Instead of thinking of it as a guilt trip to get them to eat, I tell myself I'm teaching my child about World Issues. lol

The other me said...

He is just so beautiful...I can't talk about the food issues though, I feel like a short order chef here some days! You are so patient.

Anonymous said...

Dear Jenn;
Way to go! I'm proud of the way you handled the situation.
Gorgeous pic!
LYM

Lisa said...

WTG!!! That scenario never is pretty at our house! Duncan looks soo freaking cute in that pic too!!!

BTW~I love your writing style!!! I always get a giggle at your posts!

Lora said...

You definitely should be a professional photographer! I look forward to each new photo of your handsome guys each week. I am curious what kind of camera do you have and what lens do you use for your close-ups. I have a Canon Rebel and it is a pretty good camera but I need to practice to get such great close-ups as you do.

PhoenixBites said...

What beautiful photos! And bless you for the way you handled the incident. I have a 1.5 year old and I have a tough time with his and that's with the limited vocabulary...Lord only knows what I'll do when he finds all his words, especially the sassy ones!

mom of 2 said...

That's so cute...I think kids change their minds about things about every 30 seconds or so!

Love the picutre...adorable!

Anonymous said...

that sounds like our house I am glad I am not the only one... and mine are 4(girl) 6(boy).. my kids have actually tested the theroy of gee she'll have to feed us... yah they lost... poor buggers :(.... but they eat most of the time now...:)
lm1