Saturday, October 14, 2006

Bilingually Illiterate (2 mini-tales)

I'll start out by bragging that my 5 yr old is a great speller. Give him a word, even a long one, and he'll spell it Fo-net-i-clee.

I thought it would be cute to have him make a card for Grandmas birthday, because who doesn't like to read "Hape berthda Gramma"? It's cute and covered in stickers and kept the boys busy for the better part of the afternoon, using up my extensive sticker collection.

Now they make cards at least once a day.

Imagine my surprise when I received this one.....

I'll translate it for you:

It says
Mummy, I promise to be very good and to do everything you say.

Apparently it's written in French!
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

--------------------------------------------------------------
In other news
Matthew has had a great start to Kindergarten and is well on his way to being as great a speller as his brother.

Today while we were leaving Walmart he was telling me:
"Mmmmmm Matthew starts with M, and mmmmmMummy also starts with 'M'"

"That's right" I encouraged him.

"And c-c-c-car starts with 'C'! "

"very good"!

"Bear starts with b-b-b- 'B'!"

"yes you're right!

"and Rocketship starts with "W"" (I'll give you one guess how he pronounces 'rocketship')


W.I.L.T.
French is easier to write than to read.

11 comments:

odat_kim said...

Cute, but why does your backyard look like it has a dusting of white? My backyard has no white, and I live walking distance from you!

Jenn said...

warpie - That's called "bright sunshine glare". Pic was taken on Monday. That 4 letter 's' word is not allowed to be spoken in October ;)

Anonymous said...

Way to go Matthew!
How else do you say wocketship?
LYM

The other me said...

for me, the most priceless of 'gifts' from our children are the cards and notes they write when they first begin to write things, I LOVE them! Almost sad when they spell things properly. I love the french card!

Anonymous said...

That is hilarious!

And I agree with Helen -- it's sad when they start doing things properly! Lily learned how to say "squash" today at dinner. It used to be "squatch." :(

Rachel

MamaTink said...

That was way too far off the totally cute meter!!! I love getting cars like that. And thanks to you Jenn, my W.I.L.T. is that I have recieved A LOT of cards in French :)

Be proud today :) You made them :)

~Lisa~

Julie Q said...

So cute Jenn! Amanda was my biggest (well tryer) to spell when she was little. Zachary could, but ah, he's to busy!

Love the cards. :) So sweet.

Lisa said...

Hahahaha! I love it! My husband still spells fo-net-i-cally! Drives me a little batty!

I love the french card...definitely a keeper!

mom of 2 said...

That is so adorable!!! And in french no less...how cute is that??

the mystic said...

Ha! What brilliance you are surrounded with!

Anonymous said...

oh that's just brilliant!