n., pl. -ties.
1. The state, quality, or fact of being responsible.
2. Something for which one is responsible
Well *thankyou* answers.com for such an enlightening and complete definition!
Lets look up another word, so we can understand the first word we looked up.
re·spon·si·ble (rĭ-spŏn'sə-bəl)
adj.
There are actually 8 definitions, ,however,in the interest of relevance to my blog, I will only list 3:
1.Able to make moral or rational decisions on one's own and therefore answerable for one's behavior.
2.Able to be trusted or depended upon; reliable.
3.Based on or characterized by good judgment or sound thinking
I am responsible.
I am entrusted with the care of 3 beautiful boys, and it is my duty to raise them to be responsible, and well rounded young men.
The word responsibility has been thrown around a lot here lately.
My middle son has assured me that he is able to have a real glass, and not just a sippy cup for his juice.
"Mum, I want juice in that glass, I am responsible"
Believe me, hearing that word escape the lips of a 3 yr old is amusing at best, but downright hilarious coming out of MY 3 yr old. This is the boy that doesn't have a responsible bone in his body. The boy who breaks his toys on contact, and can turn a tidy room into a certified disaster area worthy of being condemned in 8 seconds. He does not exhibit good judgement, in fact he exhibits no judgement at all - he just charges in and does everything without thinking at all. He denies all wrongdoing, even when caught red-handed, and is hell bent at times to do the complete opposite of anything you ask him to do. He is 3, so this is par for the course.
Still, how is he to learn responsibility, if I don't at least give him the opportunity to demonstrate it.
There is a certain amount of trust needed on my part, and I reluctantly gave him the glass.
responsible means something different to Matthew. To him, he is responsible if he doesn't break the glass and/or throw it against the wall. Unfortunately, however, dumping the contents out onto his plate of french fries doesn't enter his mind as being irresponsible.
I sigh.
I clean up the soggy fries, and the juice that is now dripping off the plate, and forming a puddle on the floor.
I contain my anger, because he is only 3, and even though he said "It was an accident" and I know it was deliberate, I also know that he is compelled to pour liquids from one container to another, so I should have seen it coming.
I DID see it coming, but I keep hoping that *one day* he will just drink the juice, eat the french fries without gagging and spitting them out on the plate, and maybe even try eating something that isn't doused in ketchup.
He may not be the most responsible child, but he is a master manipulator, even at the tender age of 3. Last night he managed to wheedle yet another cup of chocolate milk out of daddy before bedtime. When his deception was 'discovered' daddy called him a little stinker, and Matthew looked up in all seriousness and said "No, I'm not stinker, I'm MATTHEW".
Boy did that make me laugh. I even repeated it laughing to myself whereupon Duncan standing right next to me looked at me quizzically and said "No, you're not Matthew, you're MUMMY".
This only served to make me howl louder, at these treasures, who are so literally minded that they simply thought I'd gone off my rocker, not knowing who I am.
I know who I am.
But it's good to be reminded once in a while.
Just for fun, I have to throw in a picture of my "responsible" stinker - He was on the floor begging daddy to squeeze his head.
He likes the pressure. I'm proud to be his mother! ;)

22 comments:
Must be the age! My 3 year old has uttered those same EXACT words to us before. And I howled with laughter too...except he's really emphatic about it, and is very offended that you used anything besides his real name! It's hard to let them be "responsible" when you are pretty sure it's gonna end up a mess, huh?
Jenn, I'm so glad you blogged this, it was hilarious and entertaining even down to the"you're not Matthew, you're mummy!"
Aw Jenn, they are so cute! :) And you write about them so well.
And I have to share about answers.com. My older son, the nearly 14 year old, likes to look up words that are funny to him (like diarrhea) and play loudly the pronunciation. Oh and little brother has to join in the laughing! Such silliness. :)
Hi Jenn,
What a funny Picture! Yes Matthew is responsible all right...responsible for all the broken items in your house...right? Oh well, he's only 3! I'm sure he will grow into a very responsible young man some day.
LYM
I had tears rolling as I read!
Thank you!
I have so needed that!
I love you and your family! (((((hugs)))))
Hilarious!
I almost always let my 2.5 year old drink milk from a regular cup at dinner. Knowing full well that I'll be saying, "Take your spoon out of there! NO couscous in your milk! Our milk is not a toy!" And so on until I'm ultimately wiping the milk up off the floor.
I think that's the definition of "insanity" if I remember correctly!
the behind view of the head hugger is just like the daddy in this house! Same PJs even. I love Matthew, did I say that enough times before?
Great Story!!! The head hugging thing is hillarious :)
LMAO!! Aidan is like that. No calling him Cute, or Buddy, or Frank. No. He'll come back with a resounding "NO! MINE AIDAN!!" Love it :)
I love that you let the boys attempt to be responsible :) You're helping them in such a BIG way :)
~Lisa~
Oh heavens, I can just imagine hearing your little one say "squeeze my head"...that pic is priceless!
I'm Sandra,
from Uzbekistan,
and I'm 18 y.o
Hi, Girl and Boy
I've studied English sinse this Summer .
It's very!
I would like like to meet handsome gays and girls and practisice My English with them.
Thanks all!!
Borrowing up
There was a big increase in total lending in by banks in June, which soared by ?6.7bn compared to a revised increase of ?2.1bn in the previous month.
Part of the increase was accounted for by a corporate restructuring at a major UK bank, but lending to private individuals also grew strongly.
--------------
Safe, Low Priced MEN'S HEALTH Online!
Very Cheap Viagra, Lipitor, Levitra, Cialis, Propecia!
Buy Cheap Viagra Online
The Lowest Prices Online
Complete PRIVACY
Free Prescription with your Order
FedEx Overnight Shipping
Buy Online Propecia
Buy Online Viagra
Buy Lipitor Online
Buy Levitra Online
Buy Cialis Online
Buy Viagra Online
______
buy cheap online prescription viagra
Buy Cialis Generic Online Php
buy cheap online prescription viagra
buy online uk viagra
buy online prescription propecia without
book buy online order viagra
buy buy cialis cialis generic online online propecia silagra
I'm sorry
Corvette Accessory
Lowest Fare
Small Business Tax Software
Brain Development Frontal Lobe
Britney Spears Belly Button Ring
Attorney Bankruptcy Oregon
Hearing Aids
Second Mortgage Financing
Nursing Uniform Skirt
13 Bankruptcy Chapter Florida
Heating And Air System
Telecommunication Contractor
Esthetic Dentistry
Heavy Construction Equipment
Federal Bankruptcy Law
Thanks!!!
Kails
I'm sorry
Pen yang-ngai?
Science Fiction Art
Tune Up Shop
Blue Flower
Karcher Carpet Cleaners
Attorney Liability Product Utah
Alcohol Rehab Michigan
Content Management Solution
Company Moving Sacramento
Natural Back Pain Relief
Bad Credit Lo Mortgage Refinance
Bare Escentuals Mineral Make Up
Plumbing Drainage Venting
Window Bind
Accident Attorney In Motorcycle Ny
Florida Nursing Home Abuse Attorney
Science Fiction Artist
Ma'as salaama
Credit card advances grew by ?254m compared to ?135m in the previous month.
But lending to manufacturers was still weak, growing by only ?33m.
--------------
Marketing Director
Beauty Chicago Supply
Bench Build Storage
Central Controller Heating
Refinancing Mortgage Financing
Accidents
Online Law Degree
Interest Loan Mortgage Only Refinance
Foundation House Preserved Wood
Cosmetic Dentistry Philadelphia
Ergonomic Workstation
Storage Of Household Belonging
Credit Equity Line
Accident Car Chicago Lawyer
Decorative Pillar
Good Housekeeping Magazine
Gay Porn Actor
Free Gay Black Porn Gay Latin Porn Gay Porn Video Clip
Free Gay Porn Gallery Gay Military Porn Hardcore Gay Porn
Free Gay Porn Picture Gay Porn Blog Japanese Gay Porn
Good Luck!
Breastfeeding While Taking Lexapro
Lexapro And Ambien
Effects Lexapro Medication Side
Lexapro And Hair Loss
Depression Medication Lexapro
Lexapro And Hair Loss
Drug Interactions With Lexapro
Buenos dias
I'm glad!
How are you?
Real Estate Mount Prospect
Back Lower Lump Pain Symptom Womem
Bale Construction House Straw
Pain Relief Neck Back
Banker Houston Mortgage Tx
Agricultural Insurance
Added Dentistry Dimension Uk
Alimony Attorney Divorce Marriage Puerto Rico
Air Conditioning It Yourself
Bedford Dwi Lawyer
Back Constipation Lower Pain
Cached
Ngeyavalilisa
God dag
We are happy girls!
Quid agis?
Ball Explode Eye Lasik Surgery
Residential Air Conditioning Unit
Vacant Property Insurance
Basket Day Gift Mother
Accident Car Florida Lawyer
Bad Credit Home Mortgage Refinance Loan
Termite Control
Bad Plastic Surgery
Sample Independent Contractor Agreement
Beach Bay Swim Wear
Miami Car Accident Lawyer
Calculator Footage Square
Ma'as salaama
She shinks...
***
Ako sa mate?
Business Credit Report Video Surveillance Capture Card
Air Conditioning System Gilbert Arizona Real Estate Agent Web Based Reporting Tool Agent Estate Georgia Real
Big Bubbas Computer Repair
====
Heating System And Supply
Legal Aid
Maine Bankruptcy Law
Consolidation Consumer Credit Debt
Canyon Country California Real Estate
Zoom Tooth Whitening Dallas
Precast Concrete Balusters
Carpet Cleaners Francisco Professional San
Security Camera Surveillance System
Second Home Mortgage
Abutment Construction Concrete
Electrical Contractor
--------------
Toq
Saluton
I'm sorry
Ma shlomekh?
Split Air Conditioner [url=http://malot.ifastnet.com/medical-billing-online/index.html]Medical Billing Online[/url] [url=http://malot.ifastnet.com/concrete-bench/index.html]Concrete Bench[/url]
Use Car Prices [url=http://req09.ifrance.com/flea-control/index.html]Flea Control[/url] [url=http://req09.ifrance.com/pennsylvania-used-car-dealer/index.html]Pennsylvania Used Car Dealer[/url]
Back Belt Pain Reliever [url=http://gfa60.ifrance.com/air-central-unit/index.html]Air Central Unit[/url] [url=http://req09.ifrance.com/agreement-contractor-independent-mortgage/index.html]Agreement Contractor Independent Mortgage[/url]
Ti a boo
Post a Comment