Tuesday, January 17, 2006

The joy of Parenthood

Lest you think that my little angels have been so well behaved that they've left me no blogging material, let me immediately put that thought to rest and assure you that the kings of naughtiness have been in perfectly fine form all week. I simply haven't had a moments peace to sit down and type uninterrupted for more than 12.8 seconds at a time.
It's funny, they seem to think that I should be constantly on the go, and the moment I relax, one of them will decide that he absolutely MUST have something to drink. No sooner has that request been catered to, when someone else will decide that I simply MUST go and check out the window, and see the streetlights - after all, they are simply fascinating - Go check - go check mummy, the lights are on, the lights are on go check. After checking, I am treated to a request for Dora, and once that is done, someone else needs a drink. Joey throws the occasional stinky diaper in there, just to keep me on my toes, and our little chaotic whirlpool wouldn't be complete without a good brotherly down and out physical 'scratch your eyes out' kicking and screaming fight. Really, they love each other - but I find schooldays are my sanity.

In between the scrapping I've found that there are true joys though. One of those joys is listening to the most absolutely hilarious stuff that comes out of their mouths.
Now I've always told the kids that they have to buckle up when we are in the van - they have to be IN their car seats and buckled up before we even turn it on, for 2 reasons;
1. It's the law, and the police say we have to and
2. So we can be safe.

Reason #2 has always been ripe for starting off a conversation with them. They agree that we don't want to get into an accident, because if they aren't in their seats, they could fly right out the window, and get very very hurt. Matthew wants to know exactly how hurt one could get, and whether your arm could come off, at which point I tell him that yes, it could rip his arm off if he was in a bad accident.
Now somehow in Duncan's brain, these reasons have all been combined into one. Today I picked him up from school in the van. Normally we would walk, except that he's so tired after a full day of school that he just doesn't have the energy to walk home, and I've been carrying him the last few days. This has been hard on my back, as with his winter clothes and backpack he is likely 40lbs. It is easier to drive, and so today that's what I did - even though we only live 700 metres from the school.
As I got the boys buckled up into their seats I started to drive home, not realizing that Matthew wasn't completely buckled in.
Not to worry, Duncan alerted me immediately, at which point I simply told Matthew to buckle up quickly (he had 2 out of 3 done). Duncan than told Matthew that he better buckle up "Or the police will come and rip your arms off".

Oh be still my heart, I giggled over that one all the way home, all the while trying to reassure them that the police don't rip your arms off for any reason, unless you don't eat your vegetables......ah I'm a mean mum, I know.

Sometimes it's just pure fun to be a parent though.

I do have to say thanks to everyone who commented and encouraged me throughout the past week. I'm feeling much more positive this week about the boys and their future. They are such smart kids, I know they'll learn to overcome this, and I will be there to help them every step of the way.
We got our chalkboard out and have been playing with that a little more. I set them up with a big pile of coloured chalk.
this is what they did.
Image hosted by Photobucket.com
The amazing thing is that Matthew proceeded to count them all, and although I knew Duncan was great with numbers, I didn't realize that Matthew loves counting too - He counted them all - 73 of them.

Joey had his hearing test on Tuesday, and it came back that he has 100% hearing in both ears, so we can rule out a hearing loss. I think I had convinced myself so thoroughly that he couldn't hear, that I was actually very surprised when the test only took 5 minutes and they said his hearing was fine. But thats not all - as we were leaving the hearing centre, I picked him up and said "say bye bye" and the boy WAVED and SAID clear as day "Bah bah"!!!!! Boy do our kids like to make liars out of us.
Tonight he said "night night" and "baby" while looking at himself in the mirror. We played with a little ball and when I told him to get the ball he did. Hallelujah. I think he's just going to be a late talker, as I am completely convinced he is NOT ASD.
There are too many things that he does so differently from his big brothers that convince me that he is just fine.
Now if this doesn't say "mischief" I don't know what does!
Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Oh, He just dropped something and said "Uh oh". Cute.
That should be my life's motto.....

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh, I know that look all too well!

Glad to read that all is well in the land of MacMom.

And I about laughed myself out of my chair at "the police will come and rip your arms off." That was great!

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad you shared Duncan's comment of the police ripping off Matthew's arms. Honestly I didn't see it coming. I was completely surprised and laughed out loud when I read that!! Thanks for sharing! Joey is growing up! He looks like such a big boy in that picture, what a beautiful child, just like all your children, Jenn! So glad that his hearing is normal and that he is responding to commands now. Breathing sighs of relief?? Niece had her first sentence this weekend. We borrowed a van to go to Elkhart and it has those automatic closing sliding doors. I had my bum in the opening trying to unbuckle Mikaylah's carseat and Tim thought it would be funny to close the door on mummy. Well, unbeknownst to him there is a big latch on the door that poked me in my thigh causing me to have a charlie horse and to yell "ow ow ow ow!". For the rest of the weekend every time I had my bum in the door opening to buckle her in or unbuckle her carseat she would say "mummy hurt her leg", only it sounded like, "ow, knee" ... to Mikaylah the entire leg is one's knee... voila her first sentence!! What a brilliant child your niece is!!

saheldormparents said...

I think I finally got the weblog spot figured out

Lisa said...

The "Uh-oh" is my absolute favorite thing that Lucas Michael says. They definitely soften your heart don't they?

As far as the chalk...Zachary does that too. With everything...and sometimes he'll take things and break them into smaller pieces and regroup them all according to size, etc. We've been wondering lately if that's all normal for a 3 1/2 year old.

Lisa said...

Jenn...
Just an FYI...I started my own blog now...about me and being a mom :) And I'm working on the Ten things post that you tagged me on. It's in my profile. Thanks...you inspire me to blog and commemerate my boys.

Lisa

Lora said...

So glad to hear that you are feeling better. I love the picture of Joey, what a gorgeious little guy. He does have a mischevious look on his face and it is adorable. That is so cool what the boys did with the chalk and it looks pretty neat too.
Hugs to all of you from Griffin and me.

Anonymous said...

Hi Jenn:
What can I say? My grandkids are most adorable looking kids in the world.
LYM

Julie Q said...

I'm guilty of telling Zachary he has to buckle up or the police will take him away! Only when he was really fighting it that is. It always worked though. :)

Very clever with the chalk.

That is a great picture of Joey. His expression is adorable. And woo hoo for saying more words. :) That is really great.

Ravenbajan said...

Jenn, I just love reading your posts. Your boys do the cutest things. That comment Duncan made in the car is hillarious!

The other me said...

glorious......and I am with you on the 12 second tthing, with our computer upstairs I am completely uncomputered during the day! I love the chalk lines, clever boys!

Jenn said...

April - It's such an impish look isn't it? I have a feeling that Jon could match Joey in the mischief department ;)

seeester - I always knew my niece was brilliant - what a funny first sentence! Beware - she'll start saying embarrassing things now - grocery store lineups are great places to be embarrassed in....

saheldormparents - Yay! I'll be able to check up on you regularly! Did you get my email about the picture thing?

kcsmom - thanks so much. I think dimples are a symbol of mischief - the more you have, the more mischievous you are. I think Matthew must have about 10 invisible ones though because he's super mischievous.

Lisa - Yes, the uh-oh was cute- I have no idea what is normal for a 3-1/2 yr old, but I do know that at matthew's assessment, one of the first questions they asked was whether he played with his toys or lined them up in an organized fashion. Glad you decided to blog about your kids too - it's something that they'll treasure when their older I'm sure, and it's fun to look back and see what they were doing 6 months ago (even the naughty things - then we have a good ol laugh!)

Lora- thanks for your support and compliments! We do have some neat kids, don't we?

marilyn -What can I say? I am compelled to agree with you. Smart as a whip too ;)

Julie q-I suppose at some point we should teach them that police are helpful and good, and not just evil meanies who patrol around looking for unbuckled kids.

ravanbajan - Thanks so much. I love this age (4 - 5) they are always saying something funny. Their perception of the world is so different from mine.

The other me -I honestly don't know what I'd do without a laptop - I'd never get a chance to write. Once they are all in bed, I'm too pooped to do anything but flop on the couch with my laptop and watch TV.

MamaTink said...

Love the pictures :) Joey is just observing everything for now. He's going to get back at those brothers who used him as a horse/stepping stool/scapegoat...and it's gonna be good!! LOL

Lining up toys is very common for children with Autism. That counting is phenominal though!! WOW!!

You have amazing boys Jenn. Thanks for sharing them with us :)

~Lisa~

Rivka said...

This is an awesome blog! I loved todays read. I just posted a new one on mine.. I too don't have a lot of time. i have 3 blogs.. sheesh.. That van story is totally hilarious!
I can relate to you so much.. it is pathetic. My older two are on the spectrum, so when my 3rd one started acting obsessive lining up video tapes in his room and getting upset when the baby messed it up, I thought for sure he had ASD, since he had words.
WEll, we even took him to a dr. who evaluated him, and said he was approaching the borderline for PDD NOS.. SO.. that means he doesn't have anything, but could later..
Well, i am almost sure he is o.k. because I haven't had to teach him social etiquete like i have had to with my oldest who is ASD.
My 3rd just innately learned it.
I can so relate to suspecting your next child had something.
WE really watched our 4th one as well. AND BELIEVE ME .. HE IS FINE! HE is headstrong, and OVERLY SOCIAL/communicative.
He is behind with being able to understand his talking but I think it is because he has had so many colds lately that his ears are plugged up all the time..

ANyway, enough babble!

barefeetbilly said...

Oh boy this little fellow looks just plain devious!

Jenn said...

mamatink - - Thanks for all your encouragement Lisa, it makes me feel good when you say stuff like that, knowing that you work with autistic kids, and you know very well some of the struggles we face, but more often the joy in seeing an accomplishment. Joey is built like a Tonka truck - TOUGH! He's very typical boy - pushes cars along the floor and makes vroom vroom noises (YAY) plus he's cute, so we're keeping him ;)

rebecca - I felt an instant bond the moment we started 'talking' to each other - we certainly have so much in common, and it is SO nice to know that someone understands - really understands these kinds of feelings I have sometimes and can relate in such a unique way. Thankyou for that! I'm off to check out your latest blog :)

billy - I checked out your pictures - you have an amazing God given talent. And yes, my boys are often devious! They are above all else - little boys! Isn't that synonymous with mischief?
By the way, my oldest son took the picture of me in my profile - neat eh? he's 4.