Wednesday, January 11, 2006

updates - and all about the new school!

Update #1: Matthew is finally better. It's been a long 6 days, and no one is more relieved that he is I think.
Today he bounded out of bed and was back to his usual mischief oriented self. Huzzah!!

Update #2: Duncan has his multidisciplinary assessment tomorrow. Hopefully I'll actually have something to blog about, and I won't hear any of that "We don't know anything without further testing" kind of crap. He's almost 5 so it should be more definitive than Matthew's first assessment at 2.

We made muffins this morning. This is lots of fun with 3 little boys. They all want to take turns mixing, but more than anything else, they all want to sample the chocolate chips to make sure they are good enough to put into our muffins.
they all did a lot of sampling this morning, but hey, that's part of the fun of making chocolate chip muffins.
We all had warm chocolate chip muffins to eat today - they were a big hit.

Onto the new school news.

They finally opened the doors to our brand new elementary school. It's only 500ft away, so it's only a 5 minute walk (15 minutes with 3 kids) and oh is it ever nice. They held an open house yesterday, so we could see where our kids are now attending.
They were really thinking when they built this school - it's so modern and lovely.
Gone are the instutional grey speckled 12 x 12 tile floors, instead, lovely rectangular tiles, arranged in a geometric pattern, much like you see in a modern shopping mall. The front lobby is bright and spacious, with oversized picture windows and a skylight to allow maximum daylight.
The front lobby has the main office on the left, the kindergarten rooms on the right, and the elevator right in the middle. Yes, an elementary school with an elevator. Across the hall from the kindergarten rooms is the huge gymnasium, with 6 basketball nets, and a large stage.
I love this school. they even have 15 designated kindergarten parent parking spots, located right in front of the kindergarten entrance.

Duncan had his first day in the new school yesterday - His teacher said he did absolutely terrific. This was wonderful news, as he doesn't tend to cope very easily with change - except that it was all changes for the better. A bigger classroom, complete with private bathrooms, waterfountains and all new toys. New round tables, new sandbox, new watertable, new kitchen set.
I think he did so well because everything had changed for the better. bigger room, means less crowding. Oversized windows means natural light as opposed to those hideous flourescent abominations so prevalent in schools.

The new school is SO nice, that I think even Matthew will have a relatively easy transition next year when he starts kindergarten (oh, boy, that is coming up soon! I have to register him next week!)

7 comments:

Hannah said...

Yum! I want a choc-chip muffin right now!!
I'm glad Matthew is feeling better.
Duncan's school sounds great! I'm glad he had such a good first day there. All the best for his assessment, I'll be awaiting your next blog to see how he did.

Anonymous said...

Glad Matthew is back on the recovery trail.

The new school sounds awesome. Was back at my school yesterday in Red Deer, and nothing has changed except my classmates are a LOT younger than me & only want to party :(

Good luck with Duncan's assessment. The teacher's plan is to transition Courtney into a regular Grade 1 classroom more & more this year, so we hope it happens.

Mmmmmm....is there anything better than warm chocolate chip muffins? I think not :)

Shauna (murgatr)

dd 11/22/98
dd 6/27/02

Julie Q said...

That is wonderful Jenn! :) So glad Matthew is feeling better.

Also happy to hear how wonderful the new school is! :) How great the boys get to start out there.

We made mini muffins for Zachary's class this week. Even the dog had one! Foil cup and all!

Take care!

Anonymous said...

Hi Jenn,

So glad Duncan had a great day in his new school.Trust all goes well on his test tomorrow.
Yeah! Matthew is better!
See ya, LYM

Lisa said...

Wow...that does sound like a nice school! Glad Duncan didn't have any transitional probs! Glad for you (and Matthew) that he is feeling better too!

Lisa said...

Wow...that does sound like a nice school! Glad Duncan didn't have any transitional probs! Glad for you (and Matthew) that he is feeling better too!

The other me said...

I am so happy to be back!! Now I will be here for 3 weeks with my dial up connection trying to catch up!! I missed you and the tales of the gorgeous ones!