Well it's quite simple really.
Duncan has this extra tooth you see, and today's the day we get it extracted.
His appointment is at 10:45 am and they so kindly called yesterday to remind us that he can't eat for 6 hours before the procedure and nothing to drink 2 hours prior.
the eating is not a problem - I have to coax my kids to eat on a regular day, and unless it is something that is drowning in ketchup, or something green (Matthew likes green foods) it shall not pass their lips without bribery (usually the promise of something dessert like in nature).
But this morning is different. On the list of approved pre-surgery items was popsicles!
Popsicles being one of my kids favourite things in the world and the 5th food group in our house, Duncan was only too happy to oblige when I told him that he couldn't have breakfast, just a popsicle!
Oh the boy was in heaven - His eyes lit up the way a gambling addict would if you said "double or nothing".
This morning is also the morning that I was supposed to have a bag of clothes outside for the Diabetes foundation. They regularly pick up any used clothing for charity, and I'm happy to have someone willing to come to my house to spur me on to cleaning out the kids closets regularly (and my own too). Of course I didn't remember is was D-day until 7am - rushing about like a maniac filling a bag with clothes (oh they never wear this anymore, oh this is too small, oh wait, better save that). But I did manage to get a bag of donateable clothes outside before their 7:30am pickup - only in the process of rummaging around for old clothes, I woke Joey up. He usually sleeps until 9 or so, but here he was 7:10am - bright eyed, smiling, jumping around in his crib in his giddy excitement that I was going to release him from his prison - so I did, and promptly plunked him down in prison #2 - namely, the highchair.
Got Duncan his popsicle, and as he happily sucked away, Matthew came wandering in with a very pertinent question.
Eyeing the popsicle he asked "Did Duncan finish his breakfast?"
For you see, such treats are usually reserved for the finishing of the meal in question, and are never handed out without so much as a "one more bite and you can be done".
except today.
How could I explain to a 3 yr old that his older brother can have popsicles for breakfast but he can't. I tell you, it can't be done - he doesn't hear explanations he only hears "Duncan gets a popsicle - na na na na na" so I let Matthew have one too.
Well, then Joey sees two boys having popsicles, and starts his chorus of "uh uh uh's" from his highchair - which (loosely) translated means "Hey, I want one of those too". Only I had JUST washed his jammies last night, and they were still clean and lovely smelling and I couldn't bear to see him get drippy popsicle leavings all over spiderman, so I gave him an ice cream sandwich instead, because somehow he is very clean about eating those, and there's no chocolatey stick for him to throw onto my floor when he's done.
So now I'm sitting here, contemplating how a 23 month old conned me into giving him ice cream for breakfast, when he can't even talk yet.....he's a genius I tell you!
WILT I don't care what the commercials say - you CAN'T wring out paper towels and re-use them. Nobody does this. Once they're wet they lose their absorbant ability, and tend to fall apart when wiping the face of a squirming almost 2 yr old- even Bounty.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

9 comments:
He does sound like a genius.
And suddenly, I'm kind of craving ice cream...and a popsicle....wonder why!
I like your blog a lot.
thinking of Duncan today... hope it went well!
HUGS
I hope the dental surgery went well today!
I love the Diabetes Clothesline pick up program too. I wish they'd come more often so it would force me to clean out my basement.
I hope everything went okay yesterday.
I love the WILT idea BTW.
I saw on BZ it went well with Duncan. Sorry I missed sending good wishes. I am glad it went well though.
Too cute about breakfast. :) I would have caved too. Doesn't seem worth the fight with children of their ages.
:D Fear not dear friend, you are not alone. I too gave my kids ice cream the other morning :) Just for the sheer pleasure of seeing the delight on their faces when I said yes :D
Nothing wrong with that. Glad everything went well with Duncan.
Hugs to him for being a trooper :)
~Lisa~
It's the preschooler's equivalent of waking up in the morning to discover you've won the lottery!
This morning I couldn't get my kids to stop fighting until I told them I bought Fruit Loops at the store yesterday... that always makes for a pleasant morning for Mama!
Hope the surgery went well.
What happened to blogging daily?
I'm just kidding! I know you are WAY busy!
ninepounddictator - Thanks for visiting, and the compliment - I take it as a special compliment, knowing that you write for a living. I enjoy yours as well. Funny how the mere mention of something makes you crave it.....goodness, don't let me see a Swiss Chalet commercial anytime between 4-5pm.
juliejulieboboolie - yes, it went as well as (better than) I could have hoped for. He's not even milking the sore mouth at all in a desperate effort to get ice cream for breakfast every morning - and I thought the apple didn't fall far from the tree - that must be his dad's side.
ravenbajan - thanks for your good wishes. The Clothesline programme rocks - now if they only had a program that would pick up broken useless toys with missing parts - my house might really start looking less like a hurricane hit.
April - all went well. Credit Lisa with the WILT acronym. I just gotta share my wisdom, you know, before Jon starts making you pull your hair out. At least now you're somewhat prepared. (you can never be fully prepared).
julie q - A lot of things don't seem worth the fight. Yet I find myself arguing logic with a 3 yr old - why is that? Why do I make myself crazy?
mamatink - oooh you gave your kids ice cream for breakfast for FUN? You are a rockin' mama! I bet the look on thier faces was priceless! I loved when my mum did stuff like that.
politically incorrect mom - my kids bug me for fruit loops too - that's like candy coated sugar bombs - we reserve those for mornings at the cottage - when they can burn off that excess energy by swimming in the lake for 14 hours! we always get those little mini-boxes at the cottage - with an assortment of politically incorrect morning cereals - a new sugar high each day. I confess that I like the fruit loops too.
april - blogging daily - did I say that? when? prove it! oh never mind - yeah, I um thought I could do that, but I just didn't want to give you the illusion that I actually had 10 minutes to myself every day! I've been using my 'alone' time to do things like pee in private, and sneak something sweet without the kids seeing ;)
Post a Comment