Not in any way scientific, but just my own observations.
I thought that I would get the kids an extra little treat yesterday, and the individually wrapped overpriced cookies from Quiznos which are admittedly too good to waste on those with such little appreciation for baked goods seemed like a good idea at the time........
Materials required:
1. a little kid
2. A delicious cookie (from Quizno's) with M&M's in it!
Objective:
To get little kid to eat delicious cookie
Control subject:
A universally known fact that neurotypical kids will generally eat a cookie with chocolate bits in it, without hesitation. Most will even ask for another one, unless they've already gorged on 6 or 7 already....
Test results:
Subject #1 - Age 4
"What is this"
"It's a cookie
"Oh. Is it good?"
" yeah, it's a cookie, you like cookies"
"Whats this?"
"those are M&M's - instead of chocolate chips - It's good"
"Does it taste like chocolate milk?"
"Just try it!"
subject smells cookie - looks doubtful
subject licks cookie. Is not completely turned off, reluctantly eats cookie
"Did you like it?
"yeah" - said with all the enthusiasm of someone getting a full body cavity search.
Test results:
Subject #2 - Age 3
"What is it?"
it's a cookie
"I don't like that"
Yes you do, you like cookies
"I just want the M&M's"
Subject crumbles cookie attempting to pick out the M&M's
"Get that off!" - Subject is referring to bits of cookie, stuck onto the M&M's
I can't sweetie, it's just a bit of cookie, it will taste good though
Subject decides M&Ms with cookie bits are not worth eating
Subject leaves cookie in crumbled mess, with M&M's scattered about - is completely disinterested in cookie but wants chocolate milk - allows a 3rd party to eat the cookie - Mummy volunteers to be 3rd party.
I mean really, is it so torturous to eat a cookie? You'd have thought I set down a bowl of brussel sprouts in front of them.
In any case, I think the results rather conclusively point to ASD.
Lesson learned - do not introduce anything new unless you are willing to eat it yourself. Luckily I'm a little too fond of Quizno's giant soft cookies, and had they not conformed to my hypothesis, I'd have asked them for a bite anyway.
WILT*: a 2 yr old left to his own devices in the backyard can get more mud on him than a 3 yr old. This is because the 3 yr old will come in and change outfits frequently if he so much as sneezes, spreading his cumlative dirt collection over 4 outfits and one tiger costume - and I wonder why I'm never caught up on the laundry....
Also, if you let them have a tea party outside - spilled tea has the same result on dirt as water - it makes lots and lots of mud. Mud that makes terrific footprints that are much more visible on your kitchen floor if it has been mopped recently.
*What I Learned Today - Thanks Mamatink for the acronym!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

8 comments:
LOL, sounds just like something Ethan would do/say!! And I don't think he has ASD ... but then again, your posts have left me wondering sometimes!
I was waiting to scroll down and see:
Subject #2 - Age 2
Munch, munch, munch.
"Yummy!"
Because I'm sure Joey would have eaten it happily without asking questions. I know Tyler would!
LOL!! Yep, very typical ASD behaviour :) One of the triplets I used to work with would ONLY eat Pizza if it was from Dominos. (Smart girl, they really are the best :)) But seriously, you could put a Pizza Pizza, Pizza in a Dominos box and she wouldn't touch it.
how good of you to volunteer to be a third party cookie taster :)
Also, thanks for the heads up on the tea party + backyard + clean foor = well defined footprints.
~Lisa~
Oh my goodness how funny is that? My daughter would've been stealing that cookie so fast! She sees hesitation and chocolate involved...say Adios!
WHERE DO YOU DOWNLOAD past episodes OF GA by the way?!?
Hi Jenn,
WILT....Never waste good expensive cookies on the kids.
So glad you are blogging every day! Keep up the good work!
LYM
Aw... you're very generous! I would have just hid the thing in my purse and ate it when my daughter wasn't looking. :)
yep...chocolate chips, yum......plain cookies yum...choc chip cookies ...POISON DO NOT EVEN TOUCH, definately don't eat!!! crazy!! Never a dull moment is there Jen??
oh and candy floss / cotton candy....you would think the very sight of it would make them go blind!
Hehehee!! Bean there, done that! You can just see the gears turning in their head: "THIS doesn't look normal..."
My sonny boy is on the higher end of the ASD spectrum (feel free to check out MY musings at www.visionsplendid.blogspot.com) and we go through the same thing practically every time something is put before him that is even slightly different, only he's still non-verbal.
"it's food!" we say, "look, you eat it. It tastes good! You like this stuff!" then we look around to see other parents giving us the hairy eyeball.
Post a Comment