For some reason, once we get in a moving vehicle, the boys transfer their ultra-competitive nature into driving like maniacs.
They become backseat drivers, telling me "get ahead of that guy mum" and "Hurry up, that guy is beating us".
It doesn't matter if I'm pushing the speed limit, and some smart aleck in a shiny ferrari comes zooming up weaving in and out of traffic doing 150, they still seem to think that I should race him in our Dodge minivan.
Admittedly, I do have a lead foot, and have gotten my share of speeding tickets (one while I was in labour with my youngest son no less) but since becoming a mum, and realizing that I have precious cargo in my car; I have slowed down considerably.
They do not like the fact that I don't insist on passing every vehicle on the road, despite my constant warnings that I must obey the rules too.
The other day while I took my oldest to a speech therapy appointment, he was again, directing me from his carseat. Getting rather agitated that the little Honda with the pounding 2000 dollar stereo system was traveling a tiny bit faster than we were, he started in with "how fast can we go mum?"
Well my boy, there are rules, and the sign for this street says 60 kilometres an hour is the fastest we can do.
"But that guy is getting ahead of us"
horrors.
I'm no angel, and regularly push my luck doing 10 over the limit - even then, Little Honda dude was putting more and more distance between himself and us - not that I minded, since I prefer to hear my own music in my vehicle, and don't really like my windows shaking while I'm at a stop light, or having my van register on the Richter scale.
"What if we went 400 mum?"
Well, sweetie, I think if we were *allowed* to go 400 that would be very very fast and dangerous, and if we managed to even get that kind of speed in a minivan, I'd have to go and congratulate the people at Dodge for making such an exceptional vehicle, and suggest they work at NASA. I think the fastest we have the capability to go is 230, and it doesn't matter because the RULE here is only 60!
It was about that time that we passed the exit to merge onto the highway. The highway known as the 401. The highway that is clearly marked in advance with a large sign that says To 401
"MUM LOOK - We can go 401 here! We can go SUPER FAST"
Ah the boy can dream......his own personal Autobahn. Remind me to never get him a souped up Honda with tinted windows and a stereo that takes up the back seat.
WILT - A minivan is no match for a Honda in the speed department. Minivans have the jumpstart capability of a 92 yr old with a walker.
Also, cheese slices are really hard to get off the carpet when they've been stepped on.
Also - A really good way to get kids to stop fighting in the backyard is to take 10 little chocolate eggs, throw them up in the air and yell "EGGHUNT". Of course it doesn't last very long, but it will give you a few moments of peace and quiet to go to the bathroom in private before they start yelling "more eggs......."
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

12 comments:
I'm having a hard time keeping up with this frequent blogging routine!
I realized last night that all of the Easter candy I bought this week was for nothing because I had ALREADY bought more than enough. Imagine my joy as I snuggled up with my own private stash of chocolate eggs last night. The kids don't get ANY until the Easter Bunny brings them. :)
And YIKES on the cheese slices.
OMG I'm wip'ing the tears of laughter away, Jen.
Your son is brilliant.
As are you, oh mistress of Easter Egg Hunts!
Hi Jenn,
I love this story....401 KPH, indeed!!!!!
You should send this into the Reader's Digest.
Can you see him driving in 11 years? Yikes!!
Sounds like your son has your lead foot instead of Chris' light touch.
Keep impressing the importance of obeying the rules.
LYM.
Love your egghunt idea Jenn! Darn, Zachary has no competition there. ;) Well, the older kids like chocolate, but they'd probably beat him finding it.
Zachary also loves to help me drive. He lets me know when the light turns green, you go! He doesn't understand when you make a left turn, you have to wait your turn.
Mine are scared of fast!! ( just as well in my old jalloppy!) great idea about the egg hunt. Can Duncan start watering things soon?
Wow, that's a lot of WILT-ing :) You're SUPER Smart now :)
I am busting a gut over here about the 401 :) Jenna always wants me to go faster, but thankfully doesn't have the same concept of numbers that Duncan has been blessed with :) So brilliant for him to figure it all out like that :)
~Lisa~
Well you can rejoice that he is observant! I wonder if that would work with the police officer, "Officer, I was not speeding, the sign clearly said 401 and I was only going 120!" Worth a try next time you're caught!
Hillirious!!! love it!
Simply must try the easter egg hunt idea!!! ;)
Hugs
(PS if you didn't get my earlier message your table's ready :))
My kids love the easter egg thing too :).
Ahhh competitiveness I could ask where my kids get it...but I know my answer doesn't lie far from the mirror. ;0)
I've decided that great minds thunk alike (and I must have more than one shadow trait of ASD myself). When I was a kid and was carefully examining a map, I thought the 303 sign meant that we could go that fast! I mean, the spedometer goes up to 140!! ("yeah, and if the CAR DID, TOO, it'd rattle apart" said me mum).
as for the Easter Egg Hunt-- that was truely inspired. Remined me of that scene from a James Bond movie when 007 caused a mass crowd to form by throwing large amounts of money out into the street.
ROTFL! LOVE the 'egghunt' idea. I'm gonna have to try that one!
OMG I LOVE the egg hunt idea...Tomorrow afternoon activity at our household!!!
Must be something in the boy jeans...BOTH my boys yell "Faster mom!" and laugh hysterically when I jump the gun. :)
Post a Comment