On Wednesday my big boy had his first tooth pulled. What an ordeal.
Our appointment was at 10:45, and we ended up waiting in the waiting room for over an hour before we got in.
It's bad enough waiting for a DR. Appt. but waiting for the Dentist is a special kind of cruel. Nobody likes the dentist. Even if you are one of those rare people that DO floss everyday, the dentist is no picnic. Even the special paediatric dentist isn't something to look forward to, with their little TV sets and post treatment treasure boxes filled with dollar store junk.
In any case, my boy took the waiting better than his dear old mum, surprising, since AS kids generally have zero patience - much like myself. He busied himself with a large rubber T-Rex, making it bite my wrist as I feigned mock horror for 55 minutes...
Finally got called in to be weighed so they could administer the correct amount of Nitrous Oxide to him. Fully clothed with big clunky shoes on, the boy weighs a grand total of barely 40lbs, and then the question I was dreading "So he's had nothing to eat for at least 6 hours right?"
Hmmmm The dilemma:
I KNEW he wasn't supposed to eat anything that morning - and I certainly didn't give him anything other than a popsicle. Of course when I went up to take a shower that morning, my lovely husband forgot the 'no eating' stipulation and promptly fed the boy a full breakfast of waffles with syrup!
The appointment took over a month to get - and that tooth wasn't getting any smaller.
I admit it, I told a lie of omission.
"I gave him a popsicle and that's it". Luckily the boy was out of earshot, and unable to 'correct' me with an embarrassing "No mummy, I had a waffle too", so the appt proceeded as scheduled.
First of all, the funny mask with Nitrous Oxide, he wasn't too keen about that, but since they'd put Toy Story on, he was somewhat preoccupied with Buzz Lightyear, and didn't fight the mask too much.
Putting the needle in was a different story.
He cried.
He called out "Mummy where ARE you?"
I cried, even though I was 12 inches away reassuring him.
He tried to rip the mask off. The dentist put it back on.
She suggested I sit in the chair WITH him - so I did, with my back to the wall, and his little legs draped over mine, so I could be in constant reassuring contact.
Once the novacaine hit - and his lip started feeling numb - he kept reaching up to touch his face. Must have felt awfully weird to him.
Then the dentist went to work - the tip of the supernumary tooth (nice big fancy word for 'extra') was protruding just enough for her to get it with what looked like some kind of torturous pliers - similar to what you might see at Abu Ghirab.
Pulling and yanking and rocking it back and forth, and my big boy, no longer being jabbed with large needles was oblivious in his Nitrous Oxide haze, probably flying right along with Buzz.
The tooth came out. It was HUGE. It looks like a sharks tooth.
It left a hole the size of a moon crater in my boys mouth - and the bleeding would not stop. gauze after gauze became soaked until finally, after 45 minutes, I felt confident enought to let him walk around without a pillow in his mouth.

Of course after this mammoth operation, I took the boy to the grocery store to stock up on ice cream and popsicles for the rest of the day.
There's something remarkable about the after effects of Nitrous Oxide. It made the boy calm. In fact, we were given the post-surgical instructions to basically watch tv and eat ice cream for the rest of the day - no running around or any vigourous activity that might cause the gaping wound to reopen. Normally I'd say it was impossible to keep an almost 5 yr old boy from running if he wants to run around, but the post Nitrous Oxide boy was exceptionally sedate. He walked holding my hand the entire time into the grocery store. Probably to keep himself steady. He kind of had that Robert Downey Jr. Pre-Rehab glaze going on. But he picked out his popsicles, and ice cream and we made it home with a souvenir to put under his pillow that night.
Of course the tooth fairy had to rush out to Walmart later and get a BIG present for such a special tooth.
He was thrilled the next day when the tooth fairy left him a brand new Micro-Flip car (with batteries) and a Two-dollar coin which he promptly said he was going to buy Skittles with. It is now Sunday, and he may have forgotten about the skittles (unlikely) or is just waiting for the perfect time to pull that card out of his sleeve.
And that was just Wednesday morning....
Right now it's -2C and the boys are outside in their pyjamas claiming that they don't need coats because it's sunny. Yes it's sunny, but it's cold. Duncan says he has "warm skin". I swear the boy has a constitution like a hibernating bear - although he did come in once to get mittens. Throwing chunks of ice in the backyard to make your baby brother laugh is hard on the hands. Luckily the baby isn't old enough to protest when I put a winter coat on him.
WILT - Actually, I learned this yesterday, but little boys are innately drawn to reptiles and rats. More on this later

12 comments:
Gadzooks, is that a TOOTH or the head of a SPEAR?! THAT came out of a child's mouth?!? ::shudder::
Randomly surfed into your blog and as that big, fat, lizard dude said in Star Wars: "meeesa likea dis!"
I guess this all falls into the category of "I'm doing this for your own good", like when we took our Lil' Miss Thang (2 y.o. gal) to have ear tubes put in and her adnoids whomped out. we felt like they removed our very HEARTS as well, but 'twas all for the best....
That is a REALY serious tooth! Wow! What a brave little man. Its so awful when they are going through that stuff and you see em and they just want you to "rescue" them. Its one of the worst feelings for sure! You did good mom!!!!
That tooth fairy did a good job he deserved something big after all that!!
Oh Jenn, I almost cried reading about the tooth ordeal. It must have been tough for you (and Duncan of course).
And YIKES, that is a big tooth! But it is good that the thing is finally out and it sounds like he got a pretty decent reward from the Tooth Fairy!
Wow Jenn, he was a brave little guy! :) That is a big tooth for a 4 year old. And it sounds like you were a perfect Mom too. Holding him like that. I bet he remembers that forever. :)
Wow!
I'm glad it went so well.
And just curious.... what is -2C in F?
<3
April
Love the first comment, is that the end of a Spear?! Seriously!! What a brave guy!!!
When Jenna had her teeth done they knocked her out all the way before any needles. Sorry it was tough for Duncan.
LOL at the mittens :) My kids are like that too :)
Can't wait to hear about the rats and reptiles...I think...
~Lisa~
they certainly did not have those type of dentist when i was young. kids have it better in some way now a days. did not appreciate the april's question regarding C vs. F, that means she is from a much warmer climate and my husband is holding me a bay, quite literally, regarding the planting of floral and fawna, grrr. true confession that i too read your blog five days a week to start my work day.
big Orange - now you can see why the tooth fairy had to give him a substancial gift for such a contribution to her collection.
g - you always make me feel so good. thanks for that. Funny how at times I want to rescue them, and other times I want to send them to the backyard and lock the door!
hannah - It really wasn't so bad - and the post nitrous oxide boy was so pleasant, I'm considering getting a supply of nitrous for those days when they are really acting up! ;)
julie q - I don't know if he'll remember it forever - I have a feeling that he was such a drug-induced haze that he'll only remember flying like buzz lightyear! He'll probably remember having ice cream for breakfast though - and he'll ask for that again! wait and see!
april - It gets chilly here overnight. -2 is 28F. Today it's going to be 15 though (about 60F) - one of the warmer days we've had this year....send us some of your Floridian Heat please!
kcsmom Thanks so much - I think he's doing great - hasn't needed any of the pain medication at all. And he was so dopey from the nitrous that he didn't need his melatonin for 2 days LOL.
mamatink they purposely did not want to knock him out, because they knew there would be blood loss, I guess they didn't want him choking, or take any chances with being unable to stop the bleeding. It wasn't *that* tough, I mean he got the nitrous, and watched Toy Story and ate ice cream all day - rough life eh?
Char - I had the nitrous when I was little - I still remember floating on a cloud in a blissful drug induced nirvana. I am the one holding Chris at bay regarding the floral and fauna - he has grandiose plans that don't fit my budget this decade. we'll be doing something on a much smaller scale I think.
Whoa!! That almost looks like my shark tooth necklace. That thing is huge!
Congrats to the little guy (and Mommy) for being so brave. I'm glad that it all turned out well.
I hear what your saying regarding the coat thing. Jordyn has been working on me already to get the sprinkler out. lol
ravenbajan - Funny, my hubby said it would be kind of neat to drill a hole through it and make it into a necklace.
Now we have to ask the tooth fairy to return it for a day, so he can take it for show and tell tomorrow.....
that is SO worthy of show and tell! Did you know you can but the laughing gas on ebay? EBAY!!! It's great stuff, used it to have my babies....and it does leave you feeling remarkably mellow...I'm off to ebay!!
Hi Jenn,
A tooth on a necklace. Great idea!
Hope the tooth fairy gets it back in time for "Show and Tell".
LYM
Post a Comment