Sunday, April 02, 2006

How many tools does it take?

We are adding on to our kitchen. Actually, we are just adding more cupboards, and a pantry and a countertop.

When we ordered it - they told us 4-6 weeks for delivery, and then they wanted to charge an obscene amount for actual delivery so we decided to save $180 and pick it up ourselves. Of course the second that the 6 week mark rolled around I was on the phone bugging the poor salesguy about my cupboards. Where's my cupboards. I want my cupboards.

They arrived, 6 weeks + 2 days - but not the countertop - which I was assured was the easiest part to order, but it's been 7 weeks now and no countertop because we had the misfortune of ordering something out of their standard range of designs. (shouldn't make a difference IMO - you order from the manufacturer, they have it, they send it).
In any case, we picked up everything except the countertop, so we could get a jump on the installation (yes we are doing it ourselves, as they charge yet another obscene amount for installations).
Our walls are pretty square, the floors are level, so putting the pantry in should not be a huge deal. It takes 4 screws to anchor it to the wall.
Somehow we have every tool known to man sitting in my kitchen to aid with the installation of said pantry.
Chris was ecstatic at being able to use his Dremel power tools - you see we had to cut away part of the baseboard, so the pantry would lie flush against the wall. He used his Dremel - he is happy.
I still have 2 toolboxes, a bower drill, and 2 large bins full of enough tools and accessories to open our own little Home Depot franchise sitting smack dab in the middle of my kitchen, and covering my kitchen table. There are also several assorted containers filled with nails, screws and anchors, 2 sizes of pliers sitting out, several screwdrivers, a level, and a mess that is beyond comprehension. All to put 4 screws into the pantry.
And now - yes, it is a complete disaster - and Chris is at the Home Depot, where else? Because he forgot some washers. And we need washers. There are no washers to be found in our plethora of tools and bits here.
Also there is a light fixture because in the middle of this mammoth job, someone decided to take down a light fixture and see just how big the hole really was, because I had mentioned I wanted a pot light in there instead.
So I guess he's also getting some potlights at the Depot too.....

So how many tools does it take? A lot!

Oh, and I've learned today that magnets do work underwater. They also rust, and leave rust marks on the bathtub.
Be sure to check your tubs for magnets after you drain it.......

5 comments:

The other me said...

manets work in all kinds of places....we are learning every day about magnets because I was stupid enough to buy several little kits of magnetix, even mini magnetix which have never been put away since, they cling to vacuums and fridges and radiators and I have even found them in my food... enough of magnets though, I am sort of excited for you about the kitchen but my head hurts for you about the tools that will ( if it's like our house) be put away several days or even weeks after the job is finished.

Anonymous said...

Wow. My dh would've loved just being able to use the power tools for sure! :) You are too funny. Will do on the magnet bit :)

Julie Julie Bo Boolie said...

I am SOOO excited to see how it looks! Can't wait!!!

I hear you about all the tools with jobs that never get done. Gunther's going to be helping Alvaro put in his vacpans this week while mine have sat in the basement unused and uninstalled for 9 months!! UGH!

Also wanted to thank you for your beautiful comments on my blog. Love ya Tons ya know that??? I really really really do... and you're welcome to hot chocolate ANY time (in fact I'm going out tomorrow to buy mini marshmallows for next time!)

HUGS

MamaTink said...

I just worry that the power tools will be powerful in a sense of little boys unable to resist the draw and appeal of getting the magnet rust off of the tub with the sander :) **now praying that I have not given an idea to said boys :)**

Good luck with the cabinets!! I bet it'll be worth the Home Depot like array of mess :)

~Lisa~

Anonymous said...

Hi Jenn,
Can't wait to see your new cupboards.Hope the boys don't into all the tools just when Daddy needs them.
LYM