Sunday, April 23, 2006

Just a quiet rainy Sunday

Last night I did the unthinkable.
My husband and I went to bed at 8:30pm.
Not to read, watch TV or do El Freaky Na Na, but simply to sleep.
There were a few little blips before we were allowed to do that, namely, 3 kids:
1 teething
1 with fever and chills that required me to tickle his face and play "round and round the garden" on his forehead about 400 times before he fell asleep
1 who simply wasn't tired and wanted to play his Leapster at a volume so loud you would have thought he was a rising rap star.

But, managed to have my head hit the pillow, and as I went down, I glanced at the clock (9:02pm) and I swear I was asleep by 9:03.
If the kids were up in the night, I didn't hear it. When I'm that tired, I could probably sleep through Armeggedon and awake the next day being completely oblivious to the devastation around me.
I heard nothing until 8am this morning when our little darlings, so crabby the night before, awoke bright and chipper and ready to start their day.
I of course, having come off of 11 hours of consecutive sleep should have been equally chipper, but instead, all I could think of was "more".
Sleep is like crack - one 'hit' and I'm addicted. I just want more and more.
Truly, it was glorious, and I can't wait until I can sleep again like that.
I will pay astronomical amounts to be able to do that regularly, and the best part is that I'm not killing brain cells by feeding my newfound addiction.

Stepped on the scale, and I'd lost two pounds - imagine that. Probably because I didn't eat anything after 6pm - but nevertheless - 2 lbs is 2 lbs, and I'm glad to see them go. the sleep diet is the best thing I've ever discovered. Don't eat - sleep your way to bikini season - yeah.

Our quiet Sunday was not so quiet when I remembered that my 5 yr old had a birthday party to go to this afternoon, immediately after church. Luckily, the birthday boy lives on our street - only about 10 houses down from us.
As I walked the boy to his party, I thought, what a momentous occasion, he has been invited to birthdays before, but only to parties where I am friends with the parents - this was his first school chum party, and I wasn't sure what to expect.
I was invited to stay, as were all the parents of the kids invited - although I was only 1 of 2 that accepted the offer, Which meant that 17 other parents saw fit to drop their kids off at a strangers house and leave. I live in a safe neighbourhood, but even I found that odd in this day and age.
Nevertheless, it turned out that the birthday boy had invited his entire kindergarten class, so there were twenty 4&5 yr olds running around. Luckily they had a fabulously large backyard, and the rain held off until later, so they could all be sent outside to take whacks at a piƱata filled with candy, eat cupcakes and run around to their hearts content.
the real fun came of course when birthday boy wanted to open his presents.
1 kid surrounded by a MOUNTAIN of gifts, and 19 kindergarten kids crowding around him to see, it was like a mob gone wild. Each kid grabbing the present *they* had brought and thrusting it into the arms of the helpless birthday boy, drowning in a sea of overindulgence.
My boy did not want to leave - I mean - birthday boy had just received a small warehouse of little boy toys, and my boy pleaded with me that birthday boy needed a brother, and he would volunteer to be the birthday boy's brother and stay and help him play with all these fabulous toys.
Nice try my boy, but after an afternoon with 20 kindergarten kids hopped up on a cupcake high, mummy has a new appreciation for your teacher............and I need a nap.

WILT: My kids aren't the only ones that feel compelled to use couches as their personal launching pads.

A pinata can withstand over 50 whacks before an adult must break the darn thing.

5 yr olds ALL cheat at party games when a prize is involved, and none of them can count high enough to guess the number of jellybeans in the jar, except for my kid, who didn't win them anyway, because it was a lottery style game. (btw, there were 439)

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Jenn,
Hurrah for a good sleep. Hope you get more this week. Will miss our chats this week but look forward to catch up on Friday night.
LYM

Julie Julie Bo Boolie said...

Ugh.. I personally hate it when they open their gifts at the party :( All the other kids feel left out with nothing to open (and they want to play with the new toys immediately! after Sarah's party when I cleaned up 2 pairs of Polly Pocket shoes were lost forever even before Sarah got a chance to play with them!). That's one of the things I love about those play place parties... course that didn't work out so well for us last time ROFL.. oh well.. maybe as they get older it won't be such a mess.

Glad he had fun :)

Julie Q said...

I'm glad you got some sleep Jenn. I'd be in bed now, but Hanna is finishing homework and I don't have the heart to leave her sitting out here alone. Ah well, that is what the weekend is for. :) At my house anyway. ;)

Bummer on the party. Duncan is quite clever to want to be his brother to help him play with the toys. :)

MamaTink said...

Yay on the sleep!! I really need to do that more often, but then I go a little batty because I haven't had any Me time. There's no winning :)

Hilarious that Duncan offered to be the brother to the birthday boy. I can't imagine 20 kindergarten kids at a party!! Are his parents INSANE!? Yikes.

Thanks for the continued laughs :)

~Lisa~

Anonymous said...

Wow that is a big party but then again my kid's class has been doing the same thing. The crazy bit has been they are always on Sundays when my dh works so I have all three of mine during the mayhem. AHAHA! I am with ya on your WILT! lol.
How cute is is that he wanted to be his brother. What his guess by the way on the jelly beans?

the mystic said...

Hey the "Sleep Diet" sounds like one I could stick to for more than my ususal 2-3 days.

I can't believe parents drop their kids off at strangers' houses either. But then I'm sure being there a while, helps you understand what might motivate someone to do so. ;)

ninepounddictator said...

Oh, man. I never even thought about the future and The Dictator opening gifts at her party. Yeah, I think I'll instil the let's open the gifts after everyone leaves idea....

Congrats on the good night's sleep. I'm so envious. Even if I'm dead tired, if I look at a clock and it says nine p.m., I just can't do it....

But, recently, I have been sleeping through my daughter's wails in the night. How? I don't know. I'm kidn of thinking, "If I didn't here her, then it didn't really happen."

Of course, it did happen because my parents who were staying with me, heard her wail...Oh well. IF I didn't hear it, did it really happen?

Ravenbajan said...

Ohhhh... a sleep diet! I think I would like to try that one! 2 lbs a night? Do you think I'll have the same results if I lay on the couch watching TV? I think I will have to test try it.

You have some brave neighbours. I couldn't imagine holding a party in my home for that many kindergarden kids. That must have been one LOUD house. lol

Lora said...

Hi Jenn, Where are you? We haven't heard from you in days. Hope that all is well and that you and the family are having a great time whatever you are doing. We hope to hear from you soon :)