The boys were invited to a birthday party on the weekend - for my niece; V. She's 3.
My brother in law invited us all over to celebrate V's birthday on Saturday, so we packed up the van and headed over.
We knew that BIL had a fondness for snakes and had a pet Boa - which the boys have long been fascinated with. He also keeps pirahnas, and other assorted fish that they love to feed.
Reptiles generally are not allergen causing animals, so my husband, who suffers from multiple animal allergies as well as Asthma didn't think to pack any kind of inhalers, or Claritin. Bad idea.
Upon entering, we quickly found out that several animals had been added to the menagerie.
2 rabbits in a cage provided entertainment for the kids for the first 10 minutes. then they had to check out the new snakes - 3 in total. Not brave enough to touch them, but quite brave enough to taunt them from behind the safety of a plexiglass cage.
while they were doing that, a kitten raced by, which held their attention for most of the rest of the afternoon, as they chased the poor kitty up and down the stairs, trying to coax it out of hiding with a "c'mon kitty, come out - I'm very sweet and nice".
There is also another cat - much larger, about the size of a small planet, that waddled around, rather put out that Joey had found her water dish and not only was he munching her food, but he was also dropping it into her water dish.
I figured cat food wasn't the worst thing he could eat, after all, they had been subjected to cheesies and potato chips and cake and icecream, so whats a few kibble bits going to do? Of course, since their are snakes in the house, there is also snake food. - in the name of rats. 4 to be exact - two males and two females - for breeding purposes. one was ready to give birth any day, and the other had just had a litter of 6 or 7 tiny little hairless things that could all fit into the palm of my hand. Luckily they were all in cages, although the baby rats were brought out to show the kids.
lets recap:
2 rabbits
2 cats
3 snakes
10 rats
1 really cool chameleon, that put on quite a show as he ate live crickets from your fingers.
Plus, lets not forget the kids:
one 4 yr old
two 3 yr olds
one almost 2 yr old eating cat food
9 adults - including my dh who after 2 hours was practically blue. I asked "are you ok, can you breathe? do you want to go" and he'd staunchly say "not yet, I'm ok", but once we were on the way home he heaved a sigh of relief, and welcomed the air into his deprived lungs.
ah but the kids had fun.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

8 comments:
Oh my! The rabbits and cats I can take. The snakes I could definately do without.
Sounds like you won't need a pass to the zoo this year. You just need to go and visit your BIL! LOL
The boys must have had a lot of fun there!
Oh poor Chris!! I can't imagine. All those animals (minus the kitties and bunnies of course) Freak Me Out Dude :) I feel sad for my boys, their momma is such a chicken.
~Lisa~
I can relate to Chris, as I also have numerous pet allergies - usually not a pleasant situation until I find my secret stash of antihistamines (providing I remember where I actually hid it in the first place!). Sounds like it was just another relaxing weekend for you all ;)
Shauna (murgatr)
dd 11/22/98
dd 6/27/02
cat food? Bleagh!! Everbody KNOWS that DOG BISCUITS are MUCH more palatable!! (rarely do they stink of or taste of fish!!)
I am rath-ah fond of reptiles and find them cuddly-- mostly 'cuz they want my body heat and are willing to snuggle up tight--but my interest in them is limited to snakes. One day, perhaps, I may get my own... Like when I'm 90 and my wife has dropped over dead. :-)
Cool story, tho', and a lesson is to be learned here: BETTER LIVING THRU PHARMACOLOGY!! ALWAYS BRING YOUR PILLS!!
OMG I'm getting the creepy crawlies just THINKING about being in a house with snakes and rats .. ew ew ew ew!!!!
BTW.. you guys up for a visit on Monday? Sarah & I have the day off :)
Hugs
Hi Jenn,
Poor Chris! What a day!!!
Kittens & bunnies I like but snakes & Rats? Ugh!
Better keep his meds available .
LYM
And that's all that really matters.... Wait breathing is pretty important too! What a great dad to suffer through that so the kids could have a good time!
Oh my God I wonder if he's my next door neighbor! I can't believe the number of animals (in addition to three kids) they manage to put in their house!
Post a Comment